• McAfee Firewall
    • Zone Alarm (Pro)
    • Sygate Firewall
    • Outpost
    • Any *nix solution
    • Windows XP Built-In
    • Other

Question

i'm so sick of these threads poping up every single week. so here's the one and only thread you should need untill the end of your life. moderator can modify poll entries to update.

BEST FIREWALL

Hardware firewall is the best solution, nothing compares to their flexibility and ease of use. For monitoring program access to the net zonealarm works.

Does anyone know of any programs that only have program access? not specifically a firewall but just a program accept or decline dialog when something tries to access the internet. Zonealarm is pretty resource hungry.

Why not just try a different firewall program then?? OutPost is pretty damn good and it doesn't affect my PC's performance in any way.

And yes of course Hardware is the best solution but who's crazy enough to spend that type of money for a home solution? Unless, you mean setting up a linux box :)

I use two firewalls

1) Stygate Personal Firewall - to protect my computers ass

2) Black Ice - to get intruders IP's and post them to my collection of dumbasses who try to h4x0r my computer :cool:

Are you mad ? Trusting in Microsofts firewall is like trusting in a bitter old lady to watch out for your alchohol, there surely gonna leave ya in the dust. Than you'll be standing or sitting there wondering, oh dear god why did I trust in that lil old lady (Microsoft).

huh??? I take it not all firewall programs logs IPs of intrusions. Or is it some other function that you're neglecting to mention. Pretty pointless to be running two different firewalls on one machine.

To a port scan, yes. To a trojan or a skilled hacker, :no:

Well, as I understand things then port scan is the main thing hackers use. So, hackers with only a little skill couldn't harm me and why would SKILLED hackers even bother to hack into my comp as I'm basically nobody.

And trojans? Well, I don't download stuff wich origin I don't know... ;)

Its the main thing script kiddies use. Hackers use much better methods of getting into computers. If you think it is enough protection then..okay.

About trojans: do you also patch your system for vulnerabilties and turn off activex/vbscript/java/javascript?

Zonealarm is pretty resource hungry.

If you're using a Pentium 133MHz with 16MB RAM, ZoneAlarm is definitely a resource hog! :o

Out of Notorn and Zone alarm, i prefer Zone alarm

I do, as well, especially because ZoneAlarm actually enforces outbound protection. :p

(Off-topic: your signature is too tall, PseudoRandomDragon. :whistle: )

You shouldn't use ZoneAlarm on a P133 because that falls below requirements. Heck, I think that falls below requirements for Win98SE, which is the oldest version of Windows sill supported by ZoneAlarm.

Oh, Im sorry, who made you the sig police? The amount of time it takes to download your sig takes far longer than mine. If a mod has a problem with Konqi, then I would gladly select another dragon pseudorandomly.

sure they do.

why wouldn't they.

I use Zone Alarm plus Microsoft 10/100 base station works great. Plus the Base Station has a built in PPPOE client so I do not have to log into my ADSL account. Made Linux a lot eary to set up, did not have to configure a pppoe client. But A hardware firewall alone WILL NOT stop outbound traffic.

ICF will just waste your time.

Is that a fact or can you prove it too? Or are you just one of those people who hate everything that Microsoft does?

BTW, I'm not trying to start flamewar.

Is that a fact or can you prove it too? Or are you just one of those people who hate everything that Microsoft does?

BTW, I'm not trying to start flamewar.

Oh how you selectivly pull out a part of my sentence in a attempt to start a flame war. What I mean is when you have Norton (or ZoneAlarm, Mcafee...), there is no reason for you to have ICF on. ICF is better than nothing, but is useless when you have a better firewall like Norton, ZoneAlarm, Mcafee, etc...

Is there really a need to run a software firewall if you got a router firewall? I do have the option for 1 free year with McAfee firewall via Comcast but if I'm behind a router then I don't need it, right?