• McAfee Firewall
    • Zone Alarm (Pro)
    • Sygate Firewall
    • Outpost
    • Any *nix solution
    • Windows XP Built-In
    • Other

Question

i'm so sick of these threads poping up every single week. so here's the one and only thread you should need untill the end of your life. moderator can modify poll entries to update.

BEST FIREWALL

wow only 6 people voted for mcafee? their latest Mcafee firewall plus is great! easy to use, lots of information (graphs, pie charts, ip tracking, etc), blocks everything.. and even looks nice! :)

I agree I used to use Zone Alarm, but I like McAfee Firewall Plus much better. It's more informative and the information is easier to understand and configure.

NIS seriously lagged my boot time, slowed down my browsing and took up too many resources on my pc.

I've tried all those firewalls except Outpost. I use Sygate Pro. It's the only one of the bunch that passed all the leak tests I applied on my computer, and registered as stealth.

http://www.pcflank.com/art21.htm

PCMag did a comparison recently. That is the best source I can think of from a few months ago. There are other sources, but the results are fudged or downright wrong.

as i have a Windows 2000 home Network and use Windows 2000 Server, i use MS ISA Server 2000 :cool:

err, aren't these the sites i posted in the linked thread in my last post?

Thats why i used the term "collected". I dont know if it was ur thread or some one elses. Sorry about that

Why people depend on software firewalls so much, I don't know. Hardware is the best way to go. The only real plus about software firewalls is that they monitor how your programs access the internet. Save your money and get a router.

Ive gone for the windows one but only the post sp2 version as that is great! The on ebefore was adaquate and better than nothing.

The best firewalls are more than likely going to be :-

Hardware Firewalls

Corporate firewalls (MS Internet Security & Acceleration Server)

Personal firewalls are not greatly needed. All home pc's need really are DDOS protection and Windows Xp's Builtin, Unless of course people are running services such as web servers or ftp's.

Most people use personal firewalls instead of builtin firewalls purely for phsycological reasons, just like when people add thousands of locks to doors cause they're paranoid

DDoS protection relys on your ISP. Firewall or not, you will get your connection clogged.

Personal firewalls are not greatly needed. All home pc's need really are DDOS protection and Windows Xp's Builtin

What, in your universe ICF doesn't count as a personal firewall?