• McAfee Firewall
    • Zone Alarm (Pro)
    • Sygate Firewall
    • Outpost
    • Any *nix solution
    • Windows XP Built-In
    • Other

Question

i'm so sick of these threads poping up every single week. so here's the one and only thread you should need untill the end of your life. moderator can modify poll entries to update.

BEST FIREWALL

zone alarm, as someone may have pointed out, is only the "best" because it's one of, if not the only, free firewall on that list. the fact that "pro" is in brackets doesn't help. what should have been done is have ZA pro as a separate option...then it'll be clear that people opt for the free option, and just say it's the best because they haven't used most of the others.

Yes when you download zonealarm it gives you an option to run as a trial, when you have installed it.

I use Zonealarm free.

585788169[/snapback]

Ok thanks.

Windows Firewall... Why? - It blocks everything.

Some noob firewalls like Norton Internet Security are all: ?spyware.exe it trying to access the internet, do you want to allow??

Most people will click yes because they?re trying to do something else and have clicked yes so many times before to allow legitimate programs to access the internet. Windows firewall blocks everything, even legitimate stuff, no warnings at all.

If you want to allow your legitimate apps to get to the net you can configure a rule (most of the time that involves going into the settings and ticking a box.)

Edited by dw2003

I posted this message in another thread.

Has anyone else noticed any problems with the latest version of the Zone Alarm Security Suite and MSN Messenger? I downloaded the trial version and ever since I've been having problems trying to sign in to MSN. I've checked my settings in ZA and turned the IM filtering off, but still can't sign in to MSN. I've done a Google search on the problem and get quite a few articles on the issue, but no real fix to the problem. Has anyone else noticed anything and does anyone know of a fix?

I'd really like to use Zone Alarm seeing as its one of the most popular, but these issues are forcing me elsewhere... :angry:

Zoom7000

I have an SMC Barricade with Windows Firewall (sp2)

All I need, my system never has any problems and i occasianly download and run adaware and m$ i dont even keep em installed

I don't really do anything that will get me a virus, or spyware, an dif I do I clean it right away,

worst comes to worse ide format, big deal.

I use the human firewall.... me =P ive never used one and dont need to because i keep up to date and know how to browse safely. No matter what firewall you ahve if you arent smart enough they are useless. Zero Viruses too ^_^

What would be the best firewall if I'm using an old 800MHz P3 128MB Ram?!

ATM I have Avast AV which does not take lots of memory, the only affect I notice is whilst loading Windows.

ATM I am using Windows built-in firewall, but telling the truth I'm not feeling secured with it. At least I only get pop ups when I'm trying to ionstall a new application, nothing else. What do you guys suggest I use on the system below?