Reinstalling Windows XP Pro

Hi! Im installing windows xp pro with service pack 2(slipstreamed), on a SATA HDD.

The HDD is Seagate Barracuda 7200.7, 120GB, with NCQ (Model No. ST312082 7AS)

The problem is that the HDD is not recognised. I have heard at Neowin itself that Seagate provides certain images so the HDD can be recognised or else a floppy has to be used.

I have some blank CDs and no floppies (i stopped buying them a long time ago!)

So is there any remedy so i can first delete all partions, then make 3 partitions and then install Win XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed?

Currently, my PC is preinstalled with windows xp with sp2 rc1 :x

Lots of bugs! :no:

Regards,

Gaurav

a) Run the installation directly from inside Windows XP

or

b) The only reason for Windows installation not being able to recognize your hard disk is that it has no drivers for your hard disk controller on your motherboard.

The easiest would be you just tell us your motherboard model so that we can give you a link with the files you need to copy into a floppy, or your motherboard should had this floppy inside the package.

Then when you have the disk, you will notice that when the blue screen from the Windows Installation starts (right after the system boots from the CD) you will be promted to press F6 to install additional hard disk controller drivers. Do so... Press F6 and after a few seconds you will be promted to insert the disk and press S and then when Windows Installation finds the driver from the floppy just press Enter and continue with the installation. After that the Windows Installation will succesfully recognize your hard disk.

http://www.asus.it/support/download/item.a...ium&Type=Latest

On the above link you will find drivers for your hard disk controllers.

You must download the "FileName: 3114IDE_RAID.zip" file ( http://www.asus.it/support/download/select...AID.zip~zaqwedc )

Download it to your hard disk and search for a Drivers Disk folder. Just copy its contents into a floppy and do what I said above.

Did you try to install windows from within your current installation? (Just insert the CD and use autorun)...

if i install win xp from my current installation, i cannot delete partitions, which i want to.

Hey wait! I found this folder on the CD for my mobo:

G:\Drivers\SiI3114

In this folder, there are these subfolders:

64bit

Disk

RAID_5_Drive

SATA&RAID Driver

SATA_RAID Driver

and this exe:RAID_Disk

In this folder: SATA_RAID Driver

there is an inf file. Is it the one?(si3114r.inf)

I bought a floppy, copied files and it worked!

Now theres a new problem!

Its not a very big issue.

I have installed Win XP Pro w/SP2. There are 2 partitions: C and D. Win XP is on C.

I have around 45GB of unpartitioned space.

now, i want to create a partition E, a basic partition, and not a logical partition. How can i do it? The CD ROM has occupied the drive letter E.

If i boot from win xp setup disk i cant make a partition E, only F.

So how should i make E partition?

Thanks again for all ure responses! :)

Thanks for replying :D

I did that. But if i create a new partition, it will be a logical partition. Is it same as other basic partitions?

Thanks again :)