TheWorld Browser version 1.2Beta3 just released

A FREE, tiny, powerful, stable and secure browser shell for IE with no function or use restrictions.

Requires some minor Chinese to English translation skills but overall is a very worthwhile effort.

Includes scrollable /re-sizeable Tabs, integrated Tab progress bar, automatic login capability, File and tracks cleanup, Ad filters for popup, Floating, Flash and Active X.

A retractable sidebar (which includes, Bookmarks, History and Subscriptions) can be activated with a simple mouse sweep or turned off or on with a keyboard shortcut.

Skinning can be most easily done using the thousands of free Stardock Windowblinds skins.

All this in a tiny 253 Kb file.

Best advise is to run it for a week sibe by side with your current favorite browser and compare, but also take some time and explore as there are many hidden capabilities lurking as well.

I have refered this product as a user and have nothing to do with its creation, just thought it was worth passing on to others.

http://www.ioage.com/theworld/index.htm

Enjoy,

Edited by groingo2

Best kept secrets aren't necessarily good. Actually most of them are bad, so what you said what pointless unless you add more to why it is a good best kept secret.

I downloaded over a month ago after years of trying all the different types and flavors of browsers and shells.

This one spooked me as well at first with the broken english, but I now regard that as part of the browsers character as the browser itself has proven to be first rate...very stable and very secure...no spyware in over a month, and I have gone to some of the ,most infested sites (you know) and came up with zero infections (spyware) according to Microsofts anti spyware and Spybot.

Ad blocking is very good with scripting on and excellent with it turned off including Active X and any warning windows.

All Tools are one click away as are all major functions.

The Favorites, History and Subscriptions are all a simple mouse sweep away then dissapear when not needed.

Many feature activation buttons can be found in not one but several positions which reduce hunting time and can also be moved for individual tastes.

The Cleanup lets you choose what files...(Temporary, History, Cookies, Typed URL's, Auto Completed Data and Recent Web Pages) either manually or automatically.

Auto Forms remember your account names and passwords.

The Tabs can be located top or bottom, with or without progress bar in each and are mouse scrollable.

The bottom line with me is to be able to navigate the web without grief and headaches...it opens 99% of the sites without a fuss.

You can also add Stardock skins with thousands of choices available to keep your web experience fresh as a solid performing browser can get almost boring.

It may not have a ton of bells and whistles and it is new and an unknown to be sure, but all I can say is to critcize without trying is simply your loss not mine.

So get past the language thing...hey, I can't speak or understand Chinese but this guy does good work.

Edited by groingo2

:sleep: shareware. no thanks

585682817[/snapback]

I think again it gets down to translation, the bottom line is that it is completely FREE with no limitations or conditions whatso ever.

Be daring, be adventurous...it may surprise you...run it side by side with what you are using now, it's the best way to see how it measures up for you...but give it a week as you will undoubtedly find as I did, many hidden features that only experience with it will reveal.

It's truly fun, different and harmless and will not likely change the world but...

As far as best kept secrets, this thing was buried on an obscure Arab site I went to while tracking down a copy of the Netscape Browser Preview 8 file and I stumbled across this, (TheWorld) didn't recognise the name, tried it and the rest is history.

Heck, I even suggested a feature to the author and that is now in the Beta 3...(the keyboad shortcut to activate the sidebar was my suggestion) and he built it in to this one.

Anyhow, the choice is yours,

Edited by groingo2

I love reviews that read more like ads.

Try it!

Try it!

No thanks.

585686391[/snapback]

Review, no, it is simply my experience with this item that I choose to share with others that may be interested...nothing more or less.

As I said, the choice is yours if you want to try or not.

I did try it myself, and didn't have an issue with it. It's very simple, and it's only 1 executable, nothing to install, and I didn't see anything about it being shareware when I tried it. I didn't notice anything about skins though, and I like to make the browser look a little better, so I went back to Maxthon for IE based stuff.

I did try it myself, and didn't have an issue with it.  It's very simple, and it's only 1 executable, nothing to install, and I didn't see anything about it being shareware when I tried it.  I didn't notice anything about skins though, and I like to make the browser look a little better, so I went back to Maxthon for IE based stuff.

585694841[/snapback]

As far as skins, there are some available via the MENU button /TheWorld Forum or you can get hundreds of them from Stardock using the free Windowblinds which also works on your Maxthon as well.

It has been about a month and a half for me and I am still discovering things with this browser, tonight it was that the TAB bars are both size changeable and also scroll...it's a learning thing and there seems to be plenty to work with.

I'll give it a shot later. I gotta crash for the night but I will check it out tomorrow sometime.

+Bookmark

Keep it in mind though. It may not look that hot right now, but they will be adding an easier way to install the skins in the future. I keep it around just for kicks. Hell, I keep em all installed. I've got Maxthon, Avant, TheWorld, FireFox, and Opera installed. I like a different browsing experience each time I get on the internet :) LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

One real annoying problem I have found with this shell is the TAB feature that continually tries to open TABs that were not completed before moving to another site.

Say you open three TABs at the same time, it tries to open all three at the same time and continues regardless as long as the TAB is shown or the download is completed...this creates a big performance bottleneck or simply causes the system to hang.

They need to make it like the other TABBED browsers that open only the active TAB at a time while inactive TABs stay inactive.

• 2 months later...

To my surprise I really like this browser. It does a large chunk of what I want with the minimum of fuss.

It's a very welcome addition to my browser stable!

I'm not into browser monotheism, also the recent dualism of

the :) of firefox v the :devil: of internet explorer

is another interesting sublimation don't you think ?

I've taken it on a whirl around a few browser and popup testing sites and it generally faired very well. [see the feedback I left on theworld forum for more detail]

the latest beta version crashed on three tests whereas the earlier 1.1 final didn't, so hopefully they'll sort that out in the next beta or final.

In the "real" browsing world I've had no problems so far except for on the home forum itself where the beta version displayed red x's instead of images again the 1.1 final was o'k there.

I'd like them to add groups and tabs which auto divide-onto multiple lines,

scrolling through a long single line of multiple tabs isn't too hot.

I suppose the more features they add the more it will overlap into maxthon territory; it lacks maxthon's plugins and greater configurability, but on the plus side it's a lot easier to set up and it's combo of simplicity with a decent array of inbuilt features is refreshing.

Overall I think it's an impressive beginning !

cheers :yes:

ps I love the v easy way you can assign favorites to the F1 -> F12 keys

The quick save alt + click feature is neat and the alt+Q form filler works well

I just installed the browser & it feels nice.

A few problems/questions though:

1: You cannot display the "Links" bar, I have posted in "TheWorld" forum though so I hope this get's sorted.

2: Favicons do not show, I have even used Favorg & they still do not display within "TheWorld" but do in IE & Avant!

Tonight I'm using theworld browser on xp for the second time - I was using it on the other pc with 98se prior to this - after a couple of hours I get an alert from my firewall asking me if I want to allow an INBOUND connection request from theworld browser.

So I block it on a one off basis to see if it happens again - sure enough it does about 8 times at intervals over the next half hour

one example:

local port UDP 1027

local address = my ip address

remote address = 61.235.154.90

whois for remote address

http://www.whois.sc/

Other requests are originating from the same address a couple of times and from different ip addresses - all in china.

Anyone else experienced this - you may have to check your firewall log ?

Inbound traffic like this I'm definitely blocking !

It did initially look dodgy, but it's not!

I've been asking around and it turns out to be how outpost firewall ascribes incoming packets when run in rules wizard mode.

Normally in "block most mode" I wouldn't get any alerts, they'd routinely get blocked, it seems inbound traffic can mistakenly get ascribed to a running application when outpost is in rules wizard mode.

I confirmed this personally today when an inbound alert which popped up for svchost [generic host process for win32 services] bore exactly the same remote address as I posted above 61.235.154.90

Scare over !

I'm glad because I continue to like this browser .