The Official Mac OS X "Tiger" Thread

I'm compressing the new HL2 video using H.264 as we speak, just to see how the filesize/quality is. May already be encoded with this though.

Dougal.

Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of H.264, your encoding a non high definition source into a HD format. Thats kind of like taking a 128kbps MP3 and re-encoding it at 320kbps. Just wait until Friday, I'm sure Apple will have H.264 video available on the Quicktime site

Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of H.264, your encoding a non high definition source into a HD format. Thats kind of like taking a 128kbps MP3 and re-encoding it at 320kbps. Just wait until Friday, I'm sure Apple will have H.264 video available on the Quicktime site

585839521[/snapback]

h264 is a general purpose codec, it can be used on 1.5'' cell phones screens and for full quality video the 30'' apple display, which is a higher resolution then HD.

Quick question, for those that "Erased and install".

Which option did you choose, or should choose :

Format Disk as : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

or

Unix File System

Quick question, for those that "Erased and install".

Which option did you choose, or should choose :

Format Disk as : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

or

Unix File System

585840925[/snapback]

I used Mac OS Extended (HFS+). It is the default for Tiger Client, UFS is the default (or used to be) the default on OS X Server.

I've been on Tiger since about 3:30PM PST today after it arrived via FedEX. I have to say I am amazed with the new features so far. I also love the RSS Screen saver.

I ordered my copy to be shipped overnight from Amazon

I haven't gotten it and the tracking info on the amazon website says it's shipping soon.

Has anyone else that ordered from Amazon.com received theirs?

pm or email me please!

I have a question for you guys already using Tiger.

If I upgrade from Panther to Tiger (not a clean install), will my Mail PGP Keys be kept and transferred to Mail 2.0? I'm using GPGMail.

Does anyone else have this problem with all the drive space not being shown (shows '....')? Clean install, repaired permissions, deleted finder preferences, changed font and icon size all were no help.

Does anyone else have this problem with all the drive space not being shown (shows '....')? Clean install, repaired permissions, deleted finder preferences, changed font and icon size all were no help.

585849743[/snapback]

I kinda have that problem. On my PowerBook I have a smaller drive, and the info fit's fine, on my PowerMac, i have the same problems with you - all my drives > 100Gb get the treatment. D'oh?

post-1665-1114825341.jpg

How did you get the drive info to begin with?

585850026[/snapback]

Click on the desktop, go to the view menu, show view options. Select show item info.

By the way, just looked at my ADC member download site and they finally posted 8A428 (client and server) for us to download. The funny thing is they still list it as a pre-release copy LOL!! :no:

Oh, yeah, and they still haven't fixed the expiration date error on the serial number for Server, it still expires on 6/31/05! :no:

Edited by roadwarrior

I also have that large hard drive display bug, hope that gets fixed soon.

If you haven't already, install the developer tools, this is where the most improvements are in tiger.

Using Quartz Composer.app you can create or edit things like the RSS Screensaver, and with Quartz Debug.app you can increase resolution of the OS X Interface. Although not useful to most people, it is going to be sweet when apps start to use these features and apple uses more of them in 10.5.

post-17832-1114834245_thumb.jpg

Xcode is the developer tools right? (X11)?

585850280[/snapback]

x11 is an optional feature of xcode/developer tools, I installed it, but you dont need it unless you want to run *nix apps that require x11.

I can always install that if I needed to right?

EDIT: for some reason my iBook is named "Mike's iBook G4", is there any way I can change this?

I went in finder and tried to change the name but its greyed out.

EDIT: for some reason my iBook is named "Mike's iBook G4", is there any way I can change this?

585850307[/snapback]

Yeah, its on your DVD if you ever need it.

You can change the name of your hard drive by selecting it an pressing "Command + I" and selecting Name and Extension. If you are talking about the computer name, open System Preferences and search for 'name' to test out spotlight ;)

If its grayed out, you dont have permission to change it, are you an admin?

Xcode is the developer tools right? (X11)?

585850280[/snapback]

X11 != XCode. X11 is a display manager that allows you to run UNIX based software such as OpenOffice.Org (you can even use it to run KDE or Gnome on OS X if you really want). XCode is the IDE for the developer tools, similar to Visual Studio on Windows. There are many other parts to the developer tools as well, such as Interface Builder (which, if you know what you are doing, you can use to re-arrange things in any Cocoa program!).

585850307[/snapback]

You change it in the Sharing preferences.