The Official Mac OS X "Tiger" Thread

x11 is an optional feature of xcode/developer tools

585850297[/snapback]

X11 is not part of the developer tools. It is an optional install during the installation of the OS. I REALLY wish they would have made the developer tools an option at that point too, it's kind of silly to have it on the DVD and NOT give you the option to install it when installing the system.

X11 is not part of the developer tools.  It is an optional install during the installation of the OS.  I REALLY wish they would have made the developer tools an option at that point too, it's kind of silly to have it on the DVD and NOT give you the option to install it when installing the system.

585850349[/snapback]

Ah, your right, its the X11 SDK I am thinking of. I also wish the Xcode tools could be installed with the OS, but all the options would still need to be there, because I dont want most of the available tools installed.

I kinda have that problem. On my PowerBook I have a smaller drive, and the info fit's fine, on my PowerMac, i have the same problems with you - all my drives > 100Gb get the treatment. D'oh?

585849859[/snapback]

I've the very same problem with my 200 Gb drive, but I solved (well sort of)... Change the text size to 10, then to 11, and the ... will disappear. Oddly, because if you change them to 10 it will still show them incorrectly. Funny is that yesterday looked fine, this morning while I was reading your posts I looked at the drive icons and... sh*@t! :D

Ah, your right, its the X11 SDK I am thinking of. I also wish the Xcode tools could be installed with the OS, but all the options would still need to be there, because I dont want most of the available tools installed.

585850359[/snapback]

They could have done it the same way the fonts, printers, and languages are done. There should be a way to make a custom installer package that did that, and make your own custom Tiger install DVD. I'm going to have to look into that.

There are two features that make 10.4 worth $129 on their own.

multiple non-linear, non-contiquous text selections.

• Press OPT and select a "square" in the middle of some text
  • Press CMD and select some more text somewhere else in the document

Dictionary/thesaurus system-wide

• Place your mouse cursor over a word
  • Press CMD+ctrl+D

EDIT: in red. Said "shift" when I meant "control".

Edited by the evn show

I just upgraded from Panther to Tiger and I'm having an annoying issue with Mail.

It looks like it imported all of my 4100+ emails, but I can't view any of them. Mail lists them but if I click on any message to read it Mail crashes.

Spotlight is still indexing, hopefully Mail it will work when its done.

I bought Tiger, but my Powerbook is broken. :( Damned RAM controller is failing. Now I have to wait a week before I can install it. Grrr... BTW, I got Tiger from Fry's Electronics for $99. It's on sale until Wednesday, I think. You can get it online for $109 before shipping from outpost.com.

System-wide dictionary doesn't seem to work in Firefox or even Mail.app for me. It works in Safari and TextEdit though. Any ideas?

System-wide dictionary doesn't seem to work in Firefox or even Mail.app for me. It works in Safari and TextEdit though. Any ideas?

585854792[/snapback]

NSTextField and WebView provide the dictionary service. Applications that use their own custom views that do not inherit from those views will not get the dictionary service for free. In that sense it's a lot like the system-wide spellcheck, if you don't use the Apple provided classes you don't get the free features.

It works fine in mail.app over here - I'm not sure what your issue is there.

It works fine in mail.app over here - I'm not sure what your issue is there.

585854822[/snapback]

That makes two of us. I'm just going to blame it on the "upgrade" install, like all the other bugs I have.

The system wide dictionary won't work in FireFox, it doesn't use cocoa native text boxes, Camino has the same problem.

The dictionary thing is truly great.... I just wish in the future will add more and more languages to it... either way will become useless for non american/british people....

fuzzy: BUWAHAHAHA! :rofl:

On another note...Tiger now auto-detects and initializes display as you attach/detach them. NICE.

Mail wont import my mailboxes  :cry: I had 2 years of mail in there

585855479[/snapback]

OUCH. That sucks.

(But DAMN, don't you ever archive that stuff or something? Thats a LOT of mail...)

How come you need to see all that mail? I read my mail, then just save a few I want. After a certain amount of time I just delete them.

How come you need to see all that mail? I read my mail, then just save a few I want. After a certain amount of time I just delete them.

585856623[/snapback]

The same reason I have 1600 e-mails in my Gmail inbox... just in case.

The dictionary thing is truly great.... I just wish in the future will add more and more languages to it... either way will become useless for non american/british people....

585855360[/snapback]

I feel you mate - I share the same problem, with Dashboard and stuff - often they create apps and such, too centric to USA. I sometimes wonder what percentage of Americans actually realize there's a world beyond American shores... :whistle: :rolleyes: