Apple to switch from IBM CPU's to Intel CPU's?

This one's bizarre, but we heard at lunch today that Apple is unhappy with the PowerPC production at IBM and will be switching to Intel-compatible chips this very year. Yeah, seriously.

Source (from Paul Thurrott's WinHEC 2005 Day 2 blog): http://www.windowsitpro.com/windowspaulthu...rott_46175.html

Note for anyone who speed-read the quote: This is just hearsay (albeit from a generally reputable source), and hasn't been confirmed yet!

Edited by IGx89

Well, it could make some kind of sense. It has been rumoured for absolutely ages now that Apple have developed/are developing a version of OS X that can run on x86 systems. ***IF*** the technology exists, and you're not happy with your current supplier, why not make the switch? Makes sense to me...

If this is true, would it use the intel x86 or x64 chips or a different type?

585837763[/snapback]

x64 huh :whistle:

Definitely not IA32/x86...they might go for IA64

585837768[/snapback]

Going IA64 would make absolutely no sense. Current Itaniums (IA64) are well over $1,000 a piece, and offer no significant performance gains over x64 chips. On top of that, Intel is expected to kill the Itanium line, for this very reason.

/Don't believe Apple will switch to Intel any time soon.

it is from quite the mac-rumour laden website...he always has the inside scoops on apple gear/products...no...hahah, wait...that's not true at all.

I don't believe it; but I would put more stock in it if I saw this on reputable mac rumour sites.

IGx89 should learn to differentiate between confirmed news and rumors ...

This one's bizarre, but we heard at lunch today that Apple is unhappy with the PowerPC production at IBM and will be switching to Intel-compatible chips this very year. Yeah, seriously.

I pity all those who read and link to Paul's blog. :yes:

LOL. That is the biggest pile of crap I've heard Paul spout so far. :)

Apple just released Dual 2.7 Ghz G5 towers today. I seriously doubt they would be switching to Intel now.

I really am tired of this kind of crap. I would not be surprised if this was part of the reason for the dip in the stock price today.

I never said it was confirmed news; whatever gave you that impression? I read it, searched Neowin for any threads about it, and not finding any I felt obligued to report it (and this appeared to be the correct forum). If this is found to be false, then a mod can easily move/delete this thread.

I never said it was confirmed news; whatever gave you that impression? I read it, searched Neowin for any threads about it, and not finding any I felt obligued to report it (and this appeared to be the correct forum).

585838037[/snapback]

I'm sure it has something to do with the title you gave this thread. "..Apple to switch.." mentions nothing about the fact it was something heard over a ham sandwich in a cafeteria.

LOL. That is the biggest pile of crap I've heard Paul spout so far. :)

585838034[/snapback]

Actually, I heard this in-person from a very reputable source just last week. No details, except that IBM can't keep up with the supply demands Apple expects to have in the near future.

I'm not saying it's true, and Paul's source is very likely the same as mine, given the company he's been keeping at WinHEC.

But don't bash Paul for this, he does have a good source.