Apple to switch from IBM CPU's to Intel CPU's?

Interesting. Didn't we hear rumours about an x86 version of OSX a while back? I really don't know whether this would be a good move for apple or not, I really don't. If they did, it might mix things up a bit.

I wonder if they could have dual procs... one x86-64 (Intel or AMD) and one G5 (IBM). Would this be possible? Would it enable PC apps to run on OSX?

Get back to me when you can build your own top of the line mac for under 1k.

585838185[/snapback]

So you think you can build a TOTL dual proc workstation for less than 1k?? Get back to me if you can, will save me shelling out nearly ?2k for a dualie of some sort this summer!!

Thanks.

Dougal.

yeah, makes sense, they'll rewrite the entire OS to run on an intel chipset. AND they'll do it this year! Use your brain Paul.

All of the software would have to be recompiled and any software/OS frameworks which depended on Altivec would also have to be rewritten. A lot of software would run a lot slower.

I wonder if they could have dual procs... one x86-64 (Intel or AMD) and one G5 (IBM).  Would this be possible? Would it enable PC apps to run on OSX?

585838246[/snapback]

That would be VERY interesting!!! :D Even a daughter card with a X86-64 system on it would be great, I get really irritated with having to remote-desktop into windows machines to do the occasional job with software I already have licenses for on the windows platform. Would be a good way to have users switch as well, they could bring all their work and apps with them. Would be a bit of a feat though, in terms of physical system makeup, and software management.

Dougal.

So you think you can build a TOTL dual proc workstation for less than 1k?? Get back to me if you can, will save me shelling out nearly ?2k for a dualie of some sort this summer!!

Thanks.

Dougal.

585838309[/snapback]

www.zipzoomfly.com

mobo- Asus PC-DL Deluxe Intel 82875P Xeon 533FSB = 194

cpu- Intel? Xeon TM Processor 2.4GHz 533MHz: 250 x 2 =500

memory - Corsair CM72SD1024RLP-2700 1024MB DDR333 PC2700 = 151

HD -Fujitsu MAS Series MAS3184NP 18.4GB 68pin U320-SCSI 15,000RPM HD=160

some generic case = 50

some generic video card = 20

total = $1080

Of course a top of the line gaming rig would be considerably cheaper.

Thats not top-of-the-line, top Xeon is the EMT-64 3.6Ghz now!! I think you lose here.

Dougal.

EDIT:

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/xeon/

585838553[/snapback]

I was thinking of a top of the line gaming rig. you brought up a server. hell you could even bring up a tol super computer. Whatever, how much does an equivalent server from Dell and Apple cost? I'm sure were talking 4k+ so my statement about ability to build yourself a considerably cheaper pc version holds true.

Thanks.

Dougal.

585838309[/snapback]

Problem there is, you don't need a top-of-the-line PC to get better performance than a top-of-the-line Mac.

One last comment (I'm bored now); Macs aren't for games, I was talking about WORSTATIONS (See post above with a quote from me in) not servers or gaming rigs.

As far as gaming rigs are concerned, give me a PC anyday.

Some people need to learn to read stuff properly.

Dougal.

Problem there is, you don't need a top-of-the-line PC to get better performance than a top-of-the-line Mac.

585838675[/snapback]

Tell that to the people who have been building supercomputers out of G5 Macs.

Tell that to the people who have been building supercomputers out of G5 Macs.

585853591[/snapback]

You mean... clusters?

Well yeah, if you took a million 486s they'd still be pretty fast. I don't really see your point.

You mean... clusters? 

Well yeah, if you took a million 486s they'd still be pretty fast.  I don't really see your point.

585854029[/snapback]

Take another look at those clusters. The VT cluster beat out some clusters with "more" CPUs in them. Those clusters he was talking about used the IBM compiler instead of GCC which is why they performed so well.

Go take some benchmark code and compile it with both the X86 version of GCC and then compile it with the Intel compiler. Compare the results. See what I mean? The X86 version of GCC still has more optimisation than the PPC variant, so the speed increase with the IBM compiler would be even more pronounced.

I was thinking of a top of the line gaming rig. you brought up a server.  hell you could even bring up a tol super computer.  Whatever, how much does an equivalent server from Dell and Apple cost?  I'm sure were talking 4k+ so my statement about ability to build yourself a considerably cheaper pc version holds true.

585838641[/snapback]

You forget the price of the software. The Xserve G5 is very competitively priced, especially considering the fact that OS X Server comes bundled with an unlimited user license.

A 25-user license for Windows 2k or 2k3 Server alone costs over ?1500 GBP or $2500+ USD.

As others have mentioned in this thread already, software is what really matters. For manyprofessional> systems (servers, workstations, etc), the cost of the applications running on the system is far greater than that of the hardware itself.

It makes absolutely no sense for Apple to switch to Intel IA32 CPUs. All existing software will have to be re-compiled, and supporting older G3, G4, and G5 PPC architectures alongside IA32 will be a major burden. Not to mention the fact that Apple makes most of its money on hardware sales, not software. The subject has been talked to death before on several occasions when similar "rumours" surfaced previously.