Intellectual Property laws in other countries

http://news.com.com/Rampant+piracy+lands+C...top&tag=nl.e703

Exerpts:

The Bush administration has placed China on a "priority watch list" for allegedly not doing enough to protect intellectual property rights.

and

The USTR's report also singles out Canada, America's largest trading partner, as having inadequate copyright laws. A Canadian court, for instance, ruled last year that it was legal to download music on peer-to-peer networks
Edited by fred666

Why the hell shouldn't he pay attention to issues like that? It's American companies that are losing money and intellectual property, so who do you think is pressuring Washington to do something about it? It's got absolutely nothing to do with Bush. The same companies would be pushing the administration to get involved, no matter WHO was in office. Get over it and go find something else to bash Bush about. This one's a moot point.

Why the hell shouldn't he pay attention to issues like that? It's American companies that are losing money and intellectual property, so who do you think is pressuring Washington to do something about it? It's got absolutely nothing to do with Bush. The same companies would be pushing the administration to get involved, no matter WHO was in office. Get over it and go find something else to bash Bush about. This one's a moot point.

585866153[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more.

The American administrations have been insisting on stronger international intellectual property rules in trade agreements for some time. It is little coincidence that American companies own more intellectual properties than any other nation.

In the U.S., you can even patent higher life forms.

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/crpohlf.php

Edit:

[Thread Title Edited]

So what is Bush gonna do if the countries on the watch list don't adapt their laws to his wishes? Invade them?

585866217[/snapback]

Oh lord...here we go :rolleyes:

Yes, Tom, the answer to everything is instant military action. Forget about sanctions, trade reprecussions, diplomatic pressure, forget all that. Screw 'em, if they don't kowtow to America's demands, kill 'em all...

:rolleyes:

they're just protecting one of their interests.? not surprising.

i wonder when they'll do something about human rights abuses.

585866334[/snapback]

I agree, it's WAY beyond due time. But it's not like there's nothing being done, it just takes longer to influence peoples' perception of human life than it does to hit 'em in the pocket book.

I agree, it's WAY beyond due time. But it's not like there's nothing being done, it just takes longer to influence peoples' perception of human life than it does to hit 'em in the pocket book.

585866343[/snapback]

i'm glad we agree on this point. and we also agree that the financial interests define the prioritization of these goals, unfortunately.

i'm glad we agree on this point.  and we also agree that the financial interests define the prioritization of these goals, unfortunately.

585866394[/snapback]

Absolutely. The dollar speaks louder than words. I just wish the American gov't would use monetary means to "urge" the gov'ts of those countries to redefine their views of human life. The flip-side of that is who are we (the U.S.) to judge others when abortion is legal here, almost celebrated, a husband can decide when his wife lives and when she dies, against her wishes and those of her family, and medical care has been pushed to such ridiculous costs as to be all but unreachable for those in the lower class? Don't get me wrong, I'm a conservative, but I'm first a Christian. Therefore I DO value life above everything else. My point is that perhaps those gov'ts aren't the only ones that need to take a close look at the value of human life.

Absolutely. The dollar speaks louder than words. I just wish the  American gov't would use monetary means to "urge" the gov'ts of those countries to redefine their views of human life. The flip-side of that is who are we (the U.S.) to judge others when abortion is legal here, almost celebrated, a husband can decide when his wife lives and when she dies, against her wishes and those of her family, and medical care has been pushed to such ridiculous costs as to be all but unreachable for those in the lower class? Don't get me wrong, I'm a conservative, but I'm first a Christian. Therefore I DO value life above everything else. My point is that perhaps those gov'ts aren't the only ones that need to take a close look at the value of human life.

585867496[/snapback]

it can be argued:

the us should also, instead of or, at the very least, in addition to, promoting anti-piracy policies in china, fight for human rights.

just because the us has not internally solved its problems does not mean it has to (or can) stand aside and let people suffer elsewhere.