Dreamweaver for Linux

Do you want Dreamweaver for Linux?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Dreamweaver for Linux?

• Yes
    • No

Hey, I was wondering how many of you guys want Dreamweaver for Linux. If you do want Dreamweaver or any other Macromedia products ported to Linux... submit a feature request ( http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform/?6213=6 )

Linux needs some good apps, and I'm sure with the addition of Dreamweaver, the community will grow even larger. Seems like a no brainer to me :)

Hey, I was wondering how many of you guys want Dreamweaver for Linux. If you do want Dreamweaver or any other Macromedia products ported to Linux... submit a feature request ( http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform/?6213=6 )

Linux needs some good apps, and I'm sure with the addition of Dreamweaver, the community will grow even larger.  Seems like a no brainer to me  :)

585892854[/snapback]

I dont think that is worth the bother right now as any new versions will probably be controlled by Adobe.

I dont think that is worth the bother right now as any new versions will probably be controlled by Adobe.

585892860[/snapback]

Doesn't mean they won't consider the request :p

linux not only need dreamweaver, we need a lot of quality software from the biggers corporations, like adobe, macromedia, apple etc...

linux not only need dreamweaver, we need a lot of quality software from the biggers corporations, like adobe, macromedia, apple etc...

585892871[/snapback]

I agree, Photoshop on Linux would also be a dream come true... even though The Gimp is pretty powerful, Photoshop still has an edge on it.

Come on Adobe, make this happen :woot:

I run photoshop 7 fine on Linux using CrossOver Office..

585892922[/snapback]

I'm sure I could too, but native would seem to be a better choice if possible :huh:

That's true but until then this will do.

Also just thought i'd say today i completley removed Windows XP.

I am a Linux(Ubuntu) only man!

I voted "yes", even though I don't personally want Dreamweaver.

But, getting some of these major apps ported to native Linux will be a sign of growth for Linux.

For the work I do, Eclipse is a very good alternative to Dreamweaver. But I'll say yes anyway; having a bit of choice and diversity never hurt anyone ;)

I voted yes, not because I personally want the darn thing, but so that the complaints about people wanting it before they even consider Linux on the desktop will cease.

I voted yes, not because I personally want the darn thing, but so that the complaints about people wanting it before they even consider Linux on the desktop will cease.

585893934[/snapback]

:rofl: (Y)

Exactly!

Voted yes. Although I am not using Linux yet, I soon plan to be (again). The purpose being to mirror the environment of my hosted server.

It's not going to happen, at least for a while. I'm sure it's easy of Macromedia/Adobe to do this, there is a Mac port ;) The problem is the demand, or lack thereof, of a Linux port. How many Linux users would actually pay for this software, not many I don't think. The point is, don't get your hopes up. Macromedia were thinking about porting the MX range, I can remember, and now we're on MX 2004 and probably a new release with Adobe too. So, it's not like it's a new thing, they've been thinking about this for a while, and they're waiting for signs of the investment turning a profit, they're not going to do this out of the kindness of their hearts.

I personally don't care much for Dreamweaver, I do my own coding, I don't need some point and drag app to make my site. However, I would like Flash, because there are no open source equivilents to this.

How many Linux users would actually pay for this software, not many I don't think.

585894528[/snapback]

Why not?

I dont think all linux users are people who will only use open source apps.

Edit: or warez it?

Edited by The_Decryptor

Why not?

I dont think all linux users are people who will only use open source apps.

Edit: or warez it?

585894589[/snapback]

Linux is like any other OS, if u want a software and is not free, u have to pay for it, because the OS is open source, that's not mean that all apps have to be free, if u want quality u have to pay. :yes:

Of course, Photoshop, Dreamweaver or whatever for Linux might be nice, but I do not wish to use any proprietary software like that.

To quote myself from a slashdot post about Real Player being bundled in some Linux distro:

'"We" should be careful with bundling proprietary applications that are free to use. You end up using all the proprietary applications, and freedom will vanish. It will also slow down Linux adoption on other platforms if the applications people use are proprietary.'

By the way, I began using Linux for the freedom. I think of warez as free heroin.

It's not going to happen, at least for a while. I'm sure it's easy of Macromedia/Adobe to do this, there is a Mac port ;) The problem is the demand, or lack thereof, of a Linux port. How many Linux users would actually pay for this software, not many I don't think. The point is, don't get your hopes up.

585894528[/snapback]

The funny thing is that I asked this a couple of months ago, and this was the response :(

Back then, someone at Macromedia (can't remember the guy's name but he jokingly called himself an evangelist :D) was having a seminar at the Uni of Abertay about User Experience in relation to web applications (and naturally demonstrating how the different parts of the Studio line fit in :lol: )

Asked the guy at the end about this, and the answer was basically "On a technical level we have done it internally. However, the concensus is that there isn't a strong enough commercial market to release it for Linux" :(

Whether people agree with that is up to them, but it's a bummer :(