LeBron fires his agent

May 10, 2005. 01:35 PM

LeBron fires his agent

CLEVELAND (AP) ? Cavaliers forward LeBron James has dropped agent Aaron Goodwin, who negotiated more than $135 million in endorsement deals for the 20-year-old in the past two years.

James sent a standard letter to the NBA players' association on Monday saying he had ended his relationship with Goodwin, union spokesman Dan Wasserman said.

James' surprising decision to drop his agent comes less than two years after Goodwin got him a $90 million landmark deal from Nike ? the richest initial shoe contract offered to an athlete.

Goodwin also helped James secure multimillion deals with Upper Deck, Coca-Cola, Bubbilicous and Juice Batteries.

Goodwin did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.

James is expected to turn over some of his management duties to close friend Maverick Carter, a former teammate at Akron's St. Vincent-St. Mary High School who currently is employed by Nike. Randy Mihms, who serves as James' personal assistant and road manager, and Rich Paul, another James confidant, also are expected to take on more active roles in his representation.

James and his three longtime friends call themselves the "Four Horsemen.''

Goodwin's relationship with James dates to the All-Star's senior year in high school. Goodwin attended many of James' high school games before adding the young star as one of his clients in 2003.

On the eve of the NBA lottery that year, Goodwin brokered the deal with Nike, which outbid Adidas and Reebok for James.

Goodwin also represents Portland guard Damon Stoudamire, Orlando rookie Dwight Howard, Boston guard Gary Payton and Knicks guard Jamal Crawford.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...l=1053692575155

yeah, i think this is a stupid move considering what he did for him. people get greedy....

585903989[/snapback]

2 or 3%, I'd expect. $2 million for that deal alone (based on NFL clients).

MC Hammer went bankrupt from spending all his money on cars, houses, hoes (not sickles, lol), etc. not by firing his agent

585904850[/snapback]

He put all his buddies in charge of his money too (rather than using professionals).

He put all his buddies in charge of his money too (rather than using professionals).

585904862[/snapback]

oh ya, forgot about that...didn't one of them blow a bunch of his money?

oh ya, forgot about that...didn't one of them blow a bunch of his money?

585906274[/snapback]

I think the guy was put in charge of his investments with little to no oversight.

LeBron should take a hard look at Ray Allen and see what 4 years of college can do for you. Ray came out of his senior year at UConn, entered the draft, and was his own agent. He's put together every single contract so far in his career and will have teams knocking down his door this summer as a free agent.

And he will get every cent of that. No agent fees, nothing.

Nice way to say thanks for all your hard work

yessss i'm sure lebron would be living in the gutter if it wasn't for his agent lol... as if he wouldn't be a millionaire if he didn't have his agent

I'm not too worried about Lebron. His next basketball deal is going to be the maximum allowed by the NBA, unless he leaves Cleveland. The bigger problems are endorsements. Could his previous agents get Lebron more money than Maverick and any other involved.

IIRC, Hammer went broke because of payroll. In his behind the music special, he said that he had a half million dollar payroll a month. That puts a serious drain on resources. Also his lavish lifestyle contributed to some of that decline.

I'm sure his agent took more than 2-3% of that $90 million deal

Even I know that sacking an agent who has got deals like that for him is stupid :@

I would say he took about 3 percent of that 90 million. Keep in mind that transalates to about 2,700,000. I wouldnt feel bad for his agent. Well done King James.