[Definitive] Sony PS3 Thread

Yeah I think so... Where do you go to give them feedback?

Also if you do send them an e-mail tell them to put trigers instead of the L1 ad R1...

585930548[/snapback]

tbh with im not sure...

here is what i read

Keep in mind that the pictures say, "Design and specifications subject to change without notice." If Sony gets a lot of bad feedback (which it seems like they will, judging from initial reactions to the controller), the design could be changed.

Source

From SCEA Inc.

PLAYSTATION?3 Specifications

Product name PLAYSTATION?3

Logo PLAYSTATION?3

CPU Cell Processor

PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz

1 VMX vector unit per core

512KB L2 cache

7 x SPE @3.2GHz

7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs

7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE

* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for

redundancy

total floating point

performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU RSX @550MHz

1.8 TFLOPS floating point

performance

Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2

channels

Multi-way programmable parallel

floating point shader

pipelines

Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-

base processing)

Memory 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz

256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth Main RAM 25.6GB/s

VRAM 22.4GB/s

RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s

(read)

SB 2.5GB/s (write) +

2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance 2 TFLOPS

Storage HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)

Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1

SD standard/mini x 1

CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)

x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g

Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller Bluetooth (up to 7)

USB2.0 (wired)

Wi-Fi (PSP?)

Network (over IP)

AV Output Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p,

1080i, 1080p

HDMI HDMI out x 2

Analog AV MULTI OUT x 1

Digital audio DIGITAL OUT

(OPTICAL) x 1

Disc media CD PlayStation? CD-ROM

* read only PlayStation?2 CD-ROM

CD-DA CD-DA (ROM), CD-R,

CD-RW

SACD SACD Hybrid (CD

layer), SACD HD

DualDisc DualDisc (audio

side), DualDisc

(DVD side)

DVD PlayStation?2 DVD-ROM

PLAYSTATION?3 DVD-ROM

DVD-Video DVD-ROM, DVD-R,

DVD-RW, DVD+R,

DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc PLAYSTATION?3 BD-ROM

BD-Video BD-ROM, BD-R,

BD-RE

The CPU runs at a total floating point performance of (3.2 GHz) 218 Glops and at (4 GHz) 256 Glops (or whatever Orange said). However this is NOT the whole system. As you can see the GPU has 1.8 TFlops

This gives the whole system around 2 Tflops system floating point performance 1.8 + .2 = 2 as it says a couple of line below.

PS3 will have a backwards compatability of 2 generations let alone CDRW etc., DVDRW etc, and BluRay

, let alone Cell architexture.

I dont like the 512kb L2 cache but hey it's only a game system/ media system not a computer.

Why does it have two HDMI outputs? And 3 ethernet port, one input and two outputs(whats up with that)?

So confused :pinch:

PSP won't just be used for wireless file transfers -- according to the official specs for the system, the PSP can be used as a controller for the console. Whether PSP will be used as a PS3 controller much is up to developers -- the GBA and GameCube got along great together, and the PSP obviously has a lot more capable hardware to do interesting things than that duo. Whether PS3 developers enjoy that gimmick of a system with a full-color screen or else decide to stick to the more complicated PS3 controller configuration is a matter we will find out in time.

Link

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/050517e.pdf

this is the PS 3 specs from the site just in case someone wants it.

It's a pdf.

Also the controller does look uncomfortable, oh well we will see.

Also the PS3 is coming out after XBOX 360, therefore its graphics and power with be a least a match for it, nothing less.

These are professionals here. XBOX 360 has a good ploy though.

Releasing first, market shares, christmas, Halo3 comes out the same time around PS3.

I dont like the concave and convex designs both of the companies went with but cant change em now.

GameSpot:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html

"Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 3, will use Blu-Ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also support CR-ROM, CDR+W, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R formats. It also confirmed the machine would be backwards compatible all the way to the original PlayStation. It will also have slots for Memory Stick Duo, a SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a detachable 2.5 inch HDD.

Out of the box, the PS3 will have the capability to support seven Bluetooth controllers. It will also have six USB slots for peripherals--four up front and two in the back.

Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2 Ghz and feature 2.18 teraflops of performance. It will sport 256mb XDR main RAM at 3.2 Ghz, have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700mhz.

The PlayStation 3 will also sport some hefty multimedia features, such as video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, digital audio and video. Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi introduced it as a "Super computer for computer entertainment." "

585929697[/snapback]

So this implies compatibility with the PS2. If so, how? Isn't the PS2 MIPS based and the PS3 is POWER/<something completely new>.

So, how long before we can cluster these and run Linux on them??? I'll have one to start please.

Dougal.

585929723[/snapback]

As soon an IBM contributes the port (it's a matter of when, not if). It'll probably happen after they port AIX (if they decide to).

you guys forgot that last time sony released an official stament on the "final" PS2 tech specs they cut everything at last minute and you got a crippled version of what was supposed to be the most powerful game console ever... you can expect sony to cut about 25% of this specs on the final production desing "to cut out" production costs just has they said with the PS2... :p

btw... WFT is this? the PSToilet? :p

050517f.jpg

So this implies compatibility with the PS2.  If so, how?  Isn't the PS2 MIPS based and the PS3 is POWER/<something completely new>.

585930653[/snapback]

A few possibilities....

1) Emulation/Virtual Machine - Like what the Xbox 360 does.

2) It could use a MIPS processor like that in the PS2 somewhere. The PS2 maintained PS1 compatability because the PS1's main CPU was the same chip as the PS2's I/O controller :)