[Definitive] Sony PS3 Thread

2-Are these specs better than Xbox? cos im a n00b

3-Will ps3 hve a better online system (like the 1 on xbox360?

P.s. Damn i hope mgs4 comes out 4 xbox360 cos im prob gna get 1 of em

585932903[/snapback]

2 - Not sure yet as we dont have too much details yet. Its like Apple showing off their G5 benchmarks.

3 - They have confirmed some kind of online system with very less details. Highly unlikely it will match Xbox's Live.

And MGS4 is a PS3 title, so it wont come out this year while Xbox 360 will be here before December this year.

LOL LOL LOL. WTF that controller is hideous!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

i wouldnt want that piece of scrap metal lying in my room

585932919[/snapback]

Dam right, that controller looks crappy :(

i bet colors will not be out at launch, they like to release a generic one than 6months later bring out the others for extra money.

kinda funny really- if ms didn't come along /w the xbx to spook sony i'll bet the ps3 would still graphically be below the dreamcast, so for ps fans the xbx has been a good thing :D

It looks like some kind of sex toy. With the dual shock, you can pleasure 2 girls at once with it :p

585933056[/snapback]

Damn right mah Girl came out , just looking at it ;)

why does everyone keep bashing the controller? It looks awesome! :)

585933186[/snapback]

suppose i can relate with you, i luvd the big xbx controller.

stock up on this controller when it's released as I did /w the big xbx control- because it's likely sony will scrap it a few months in for a more popular design.

OMG look what have I found in my old documents  :D

6832739961761474.JPG

ps3.jpg

news_divers_playstation_3_1.jpg

and thankx for the news and the pix :) ... keep it up ok :) ...

585933380[/snapback]

Man i am sure glad none of those were the real PS3! :laugh: :yes:

2 - Not sure yet as we dont have too much details yet. Its like Apple showing off their G5 benchmarks.

3 - They have confirmed some kind of online system with very less details. Highly unlikely it will match Xbox's Live.

And MGS4 is a PS3 title, so it wont come out this year while Xbox 360 will be here before December this year.

585932915[/snapback]

Here's IGNs comparison: http://gear.ign.com/articles/614/614837p1.html

Keep in mind that the processor speed for the PS3 is in ideal conditions, it has been said that the cell processor runs way too hot to be able to keep that kind of speed and it most likely will be clocked down to prevent over-heating and frying one of the cores (again, that's why there are 8 cores, with one redundant (7 SPEs) in order to replace one of the 8 that may fry). Doubtful it will actually reach ~2TFlops

Both have their advantages and disadvantages in terms of memory, I think, I'm not a big memory guru so someone else should comment :blush:

PS3 has a slightly faster GPU (50MHz) but that's nothing at these speeds. PS3 has a much better display, also with dual outputs as an option, which is pretty sweet I must say. And once everyone has two <insert ridiculously large>HDTVs in their living rooms that may become a big deal.

I'm not sure where PS3 was going with the 1000BASE-T network port and why the PS3 has 3 ethernet ports on the back, no clue! :pinch: I'll most likely be running my console wirelessly along with many other people I know, so I dunno about this someone else can comment :whistle:

Wireless Input, PS3 is running on BlueTooth (hopefully it won't cause conflicts with other soon to be BlueTooth standard devices in the home), while Microsoft is using their own patented wireless technology, sure to not cause any conflicts. PS3 can have up to 7 controllers, 7-way-split-screen yay! (I know, some sports games arn't split screen, but still this is pretty funny) :blink: Xbox360 staying with the expected four.

Xbox360 definitely has the upper hand in terms of storage with a 20GB detachable HD, we'll wait and see how much space PS3 will be able to afford to include with their console.

I'm also surprised at how physically big the PS3 is compared to the Xbox360. If anything, going into this E3 I thought PS3 would come out with a sleek, sexy, low-profile beast of a console. Turns out to be pretty much the opposite with a batman boomerang ( http://gamesblog.it/uploads/batman.jpg ) for a controller :rofl:

Edited by magik

Keep in mind that the processor speed for the PS3 is in ideal conditions, it has been said that the cell processor runs way too hot to be able to keep that kind of speed and it most likely will be clocked down to prevent over-heating and frying one of the cores (again, that's why there are 8 cores, with one redundant (7 SPEs) in order to replace one of the 8 that may fry). Doubtful it will actually reach ~2TFlops

585933786[/snapback]

I thought the PS3 Cell CPU is already heavily downclocked?

From what I remember, the first Cell processor was supposed to be 6 ghz.

585933983[/snapback]

lmao :rofl:

It was said that Cell can reach 4GHz, doesnt mean it will start out at that point.

OMG I can't believe that everyone hates the controller - I LOVE that PS3 controller. Looks so futuristic against the silver console, I'm seriously thinking about buying this PS3 - I haven't owned a console since the "Sega Mega Drive 1", so we'll see what the price is gonna' be like before I decide - but definately the PS3 over the Xbox 360.

i only buy a ps3, if it has the same media (play: music, video etc) options as the x360!!! and has a 20gb hd or greater...

585933983[/snapback]

Thing about the cell is that currently its in 90nm soi, Ibm and sony are pushing for a 65nm process before the console launches. Once they go to 65nm and with some common sense on what 65nm will do, basicly allow the processor to run cooler and obtain higher clock speeds.

forgot another thing to add is the fact the processor it self only has what 256gflops... the gpu is were the teraflops are 1.8 to be exact and the 256gflops push it up to 2 teraflops.. and personally once sony and ibm start pushing out 65nm i wouldn't doubt we wont see close to 3 or maybe 4 (4 being the most) but 3 is very likely at 65nm.

Edited by SkaterAustin

Both have their advantages and disadvantages in terms of memory, I think, I'm not a big memory guru so someone else should comment?:blush::

PS3 has a slightly faster GPU (50MHz) but that's nothing at these speeds. PS3 has a much better display, also with dual outputs as an option, which is pretty sweet I must say. And once everyone has two <insert ridiculously large>HDTVs in their living rooms that may become a big deal.

I'm not sure where PS3 was going with the 1000BASE-T network port and why the PS3 has 3 ethernet ports on the back, no clue!?:pinch:h: I'll most likely be running my console wirelessly along with many other people I know, so I dunno about this someone else can comment:whistle:le:

Wireless Input, PS3 is running on BlueTooth (hopefully it won't cause conflicts with other soon to be BlueTooth standard devices in the home), while Microsoft is using their own patented wireless technology, sure to not cause any conflicts. PS3 can have up to 7 controllers, 7-way-split-screen yay! (I know, some sports games arn't split screen, but still this is pretty funny):blink:nk:? Xbox360 staying with the expected four.

Xbox360 definitely has the upper hand in terms of storage with a 20GB detachable HD, we'll wait and see how much space PS3 will be able to afford to include with their console.

I'm also surprised at how physically big the PS3 is compared to the Xbox360. If anything, going into this E3 I thought PS3 would come out with a sleek, sexy, low-profile beast of a console. Turns out to be pretty much the opposite with a batman boomerang ( http://gamesblog.it/uploads/batman.jpg ) for a controlle:rofl:ofl:

585933786[/snapback]

As some one else said the CPU only makes up of 218 GFLOPs the GPU is 1.8 TFLOPS that is all ready higher than 1. So on average the system will probably have at least 2 TFLOPS by Spring 2005 (calculating if they go 65nm or if they stay 90nm; hopefully they will stay cause the price will probably be higher)

(calculating if they go 65nm or if they stay 90nm; hopefully they will stay cause the price will probably be higher)

I'd much rather throw in an extra 50 bucks( or so? ) to get a more high quality console.