[Definitive] Sony PS3 Thread

I think with peoples reactions towards the controller it will prolly change, seeing as how at the bottom of the image it says design specs are subject to change witout notice. In all odds theyll prolly just use the same tech in the new controller on the old style design (which is perfect IMHO).

Also, i didnt read through all 57 poages of post so i might be beating a dead horse here, but did anynoe notice that the Playstation 3 design on the top was in the same font as teh Spiderman movie font ??

i might be beating a dead horse here, but did anynoe notice that the Playstation 3 design on the top was in the same font as teh Spiderman movie font ??

That horse is VERY dead...

as much as I hate the look of the controller.....is it just me or does it look really comfutable?....:/

585936316[/snapback]

I like it :) Looks comfy and awesome! :D

I thought the PS3 Cell CPU is already heavily downclocked?

From what I remember, the first Cell processor was supposed to be 6 ghz.

585933983[/snapback]

Maybe this will explain it? 85 degrees celsius with heatsink at 4.6ghz.

post-48274-1116381475.jpg

585936409[/snapback]

Mircoprocessor eh, is that a processor for irc? :p

it looks very... "sharp"

i think that PS3 looks pretty good.. compared to all the new systems.. they all seem to have a new outlook on design. from xbox 360, to nintendo revolution to Sony PS3. these designs are really going in a weird direction...

im not sure about PS3's performance.. xbox 360 is actually showing concept pictures, and development videos.. sony has yet to show anything (but its still a good year away).

looks nice, and 2006 should be a GREAT year for gamers!

585936409[/snapback]

that 85 degrees celsius is the max thermal out put before the processor suffers internal burn (basicly bye bye processor) like amd and intel have rated celcius such as amd 64 are rated anywhere from 70 to 80c external and 80 to 90 celcius internal burn and please dont just assume there are some exclusions to processors but majority it applies to that.

it looks very... "sharp"

i think that PS3 looks pretty good.. compared to all the new systems..  they all seem to have a new outlook on design.  from xbox 360, to nintendo revolution to Sony PS3.  these designs are really going in a weird direction...

im not sure about PS3's performance.. xbox 360 is actually showing concept pictures, and development videos.. sony has yet to show anything (but its still a good year away).

looks nice, and 2006 should be a GREAT year for gamers!

585939341[/snapback]

Aye, Microsoft is revolving around the online world, Sony is going for digital media and Nintendo.......well Nintendo is doing what it always does....

Next gen war should be interesting.

Ign had a nice talk about the cell prcoessor... To prove the cell was capable of doing what sony showed, ibm had there own demo with live working machines running the cell doing demos of what it can do.. heres the article..

"E3 2005: Cell Processor Technology Demos

IBM takes a through a series of demos highlighting the Cell's processing prowess.

by Chris Roper

May 17, 2005 - As part of its technical showings at E3 2005, IBM set up a demo event showcasing the Cell processor. Created by Sony, IBM and Toshiba, the Cell processor will be the heart of Sony's forthcoming PlayStation 3, officially unveiled yesterday at its press conference.

IBM's presentation consisted of a set of computationally-intensive demos, intended to show off the number-crunching power of the Cell's individual processing units. Each Cell processor is made up of one PowerPC Processing Element (PPE) and eight Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs). The PPE is in charge of feeding instructions to the eight SPEs, which are capable of working individually on tasks without the need to reference the other SPEs. In short, a single Cell processor is capable of running eight separate tasks simultaneously at its full operational speed (3.2GHz in the case of the demoed CPUs), plus whatever you can throw at the PPE.

The first demo we saw was a ray-traced landscape demo, which was also shown at Sony's PlayStation 3 press conference yesterday. Height field data acquired by LIDAR (light RADAR basically) was combined with a color overlay taken via satellite imagery to create a realistic 3D rendering of the Mount St. Helens volcanic area.

The key to this demo was that the imagery was ray-traced in realtime solely via a pair of Cell processors. Instead of using a video card to display the graphics (thereby limiting the "wow" factor), the Cell processors rendered the image to a series of JPG images, which were then streamed to a standard G5 tower over the network. Each image was rendered at 1280x720, creating a 720p high-definition scene of the area.

A switch allowed for turning on colored stripes that represented what each SPE was rendering at any given moment, updated in realtime. As more complex areas entered the view, the SPEs would dynamically scale how much of the scene they were rendering so that the framerate stayed even (and solid) throughout the demo.

The next demo was based on a new cloth simulation algorithm being worked into Maya. Again using two Cell processors, the demo was able to run 16 separate simulations simultaneously. Each piece of cloth was defined by 300 vertices, but the real kicker with this demo is that the algorithm incorporated self-intersecting physics, keeping the cloth from flowing through itself. This sort of simulation is much more computationally-intensive than simulating a cloth against another object.

Next up we checked out a set of blade servers, each set up with two Cell processors. They weren't final design quite yet, but when finished they'll sport a double-width size while still being able to keep the processors quite cool. In fact, as the blades were open we could test the heat coming off of them and it felt reasonably cool, cooler than many of our high-end PCs back at the IGN offices. This bodes well for heat-issues, or more correctly the lack thereof.

Lastly, we saw a demo of a network game with entirely server-side physics. The goal here was to prove that a high-end server could run some of the most computationally-intensive parts of a game, saving the client machines from having to process what would wind up being redundant data. The demo featured some huge mechs, large buildings and a couple tanks. As parts of an object were fired upon, pieces of it would crumble off and collide and bounce with surrounding objects. While it honestly wasn't the most impressive piece of physics tech we've ever seen, the fact that it was all running server-side was kinda neat.

That ended our demo time with the Cell processor. While a couple of the demos were quite impressive, like the cloth and landscape demos, the coolest part was actually seeing Cell processors up and running right in front of us. Sure, we saw the same thing yesterday at the Sony press conference, but in those cases the hardware was hidden. It's reassuring to actually see the processors cranking out data right in front of our eyes."

That gave me some reassurment that the ps3 basicly is capable of doing what they showed, but the idea is can the developers make what they showed ? ;)

Impressive I.A. for solo + Live may be the key ...

Look at what they have done to GT4 for example. Opponents are boring and frustating even if they have done a great job for the car models.

I'm having more fun with Forza ... guess why ...

i still don't think the ps3 controller is as bad as everyone is making it out to be. ok it looks very strange, but it looks so much easier to use all the buttons.

Why does the PS3 suck?

585945217[/snapback]

huh? please specify...

and to make it clear: the PS3 does not suck. whether you're a fan of the ps3 or not, or even the X360, neither sucks. both are amazing machines.

check out this cool pics from behind glass at E3...just look at the reflections (may already have been posted)

http://media.ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615991/imgs_1.html