[Definitive] Sony PS3 Thread

at first of i was ****ed, but actually the idea of adding a cheaper 200 gig hdd is actually a nice idea... unless of course they make the hdd connection proprietary in which case were gunna have to buy over priced 40 gig hdd from sony :( ugh!

Being Sony, it's very likely they won't use anything standard. Although it's understandable in this case. Like jmole said, they'd be setting themselves up to be hacked otherwise.

I just hope they don't go overboard with the price like MS did.

Being Sony, it's very likely they won't use anything standard.
Well the only hope that it isn't a proprietary HDD is because they allowed the PSP to use standard memory sticks for its storage.

Well the only hope that it isn't a proprietary HDD is because they allowed the PSP to use standard memory sticks for its storage.

but the memory stick is sony's proprietary card format, standard card memory would have been sonething like sd.

I want it to be better than Xbox Live... so then Microsoft will make lots of new features for normal peoples LIVE :)

Agreed. Healthy competition means everyone wins.

what a load of rubbish why do we have to pay for it?! why do we not have to pay for ps2 online ,inferior asif it's better because its FREE. Only reason i botherd buying network pack and stuff is because its free. should stay free screw all this downloading demos etc where the hell you going to save them to your 8MB memory card O.o Xbox Live has been rubbish from the beginning if it wasnt for them none of this paying for online rip off playing would have ever come round, i'm glad im buying a PC instead of a playstation 3 now.

what a load of rubbish why do we have to pay for it?! why do we not have to pay for ps2 online ,inferior asif it's better because its FREE. Only reason i botherd buying network pack and stuff is because its free. should stay free screw all this downloading demos etc where the hell you going to save them to your 8MB memory card O.o Xbox Live has been rubbish from the beginning if it wasnt for them none of this paying for online rip off playing would have ever come round, i'm glad im buying a PC instead of a playstation 3 now.

I'm sorry. Would you like to run your own infrastructure? Do you have the funding for that?

O, you would like to provide it free of charge for all of us? Great...

...seriously people. Not everything in life is free.

I'm glad you're buying a PC as well.

:huh: It's $50 a year. That's about $4 a month to support the developers. Rip off online paying? Why don't you go check the prices on playing WoW each month and then start complaining.

Gah what, it got merged! The posts go straight from the HDD thread and now straight to the Hub service thread.

but the memory stick is sony's proprietary card format, standard card memory would have been sonething like sd.

>>>

I want it to be better than Xbox Live... so then Microsoft will make lots of new features for normal peoples LIVE

I personally haven't known anyone to buy a console solely for playing DVD's etc. The closest I've seen to this is people buying an XBox to mod and use for media center, but I've never seen people do that and not throw on some emulators and games as well.

I don't think it would be as much of a problem as they want to believe :rofl: The only issue people will have is if the prices are sky high.

If the PS3 turns out to be a cheap blu-ray solution as was the PS2 with dvd then yes the attach rate could be quite low. Even early adopters like to save a few bucks when they are looking to spend twice as much on the non game playing models.

The difference was DVD was released in 1996 in Japan and early 1997 in the USA, the PS2 was few years behind and only started to offer afforable DVD solution AFTER DVDs were already popular. The DVD market was not split in half like they are now with the HD-DVD / Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray is a brand new consumer format and far away from being a safe bet for Sony yet, unlike Sony's decision to offer DVD playback with PS2.

And BTW you needed a special remote for enjoyable playback on the PS2, it drove the cost almost up to what you did get stand-alone players for, only the PS2 had some compatability issues with some early DVDs.