Sony PS3 RSX GPU still in development

I don't understand the rabid console supporters. Both PS3 and xbox 360 look pretty poweful to me, most likely about the same in the end. I'm just waiting until both are launched and all before making a decision here.

Revolution wont be as powerful as Xbox 360 or PS3, they pretty much admitted that.

I am not comparing Xbox 360 & PS3 prices. All I'm saying is that Sony will have to cut corners (either on price or features or performance) if they plan to hit the market within the next 5 months. Its always a trade-off.

585973310[/snapback]

again, you are wrong.

different architectures = different pricing. you have NO way of knowing how much the PS3 will cost to produce at a given performance point. So to say you are throwing it out the window because you claim it being a trade-off is invalid.

Look at this way, Pentium vs. Athlon. You can get similar performance at different price points for the two chipset producers. The same idea can be applied to console production.

How did Xbox get into this argument ? Nobody claimed that Xbox 360 WILL be more powerful when its out, only the PS3 fanboys are claiming that it will be faster to which I asked AT WHAT COST.

Simple as that. You did not provide any argument in this case.

Sony will target most of the market which cares about price rather than making it 10-20% faster which will be noticed by a small minority.

585973046[/snapback]

Your not providing any kind of argument either. You're specualting that the PS3 will have to cut corners to reach a specific price point. Really??? You mean that's why cadillac doesn't come out with a 1000hp supercar for $10000. Is that the hard hitting insight you are providing us. How do you know it's going to make a more expensive if they want to make it more powerful than the XBox360 anyway, their different architechture might make this possible at a cheaper price than Microsoft. It might not also. Fact is, you don't know anything about prices or performance. All of your claims are speculation. I really don't care, I will be getting both. Just think it's funny you and oranges blantant fanboyism. :woot:

Revolution wont be as powerful as Xbox 360 or PS3, they pretty much admitted that.

I am not comparing Xbox 360 & PS3 prices. All I'm saying is that Sony will have to cut corners (either on price or features or performance) if they plan to hit the market within the next 5 months. Its always a trade-off.

585973310[/snapback]

The PS3 won't be coming out for a year, so why are you even talking 5 months? That's not making any sense....so why keep talking about cutting corners? If anything, and like others have said, the PS3 could be more powerful because they have that extra 6 months or so of tweaking time where they can get the most from the system whereas the Xbox360 is rather on a tight time frame.

again, you are wrong.

585973324[/snapback]

um, how ?

different architectures = different pricing. you have NO way of knowing how much the PS3 will cost to produce at a given performance point. So to say you are throwing it out the window because you claim it being a trade-off is invalid.

Look at this way, Pentium vs. Athlon. You can get similar performance at different price points for the two chipset producers. The same idea can be applied to console production.

585973324[/snapback]

I am not comparing Xbox 360's price at all, I dont even care how much 360 is going to cost. I'm bothered with PS3's cost only. Dont you get the point now ?

um, how ?

I am not comparing Xbox 360's price at all, I dont even care how much 360 is going to cost. I'm bothered with PS3's cost only. Dont you get the point now ?

585973338[/snapback]

no, because you are trying to throw out half the argument.

I am going to tell you this once more. THEY ARE BUILT ON DIFFERENT ARCHITECTURES.

You are trying to claim the PS3 will have to cut corners on performance for the price, but you are completely ignoring the fact that it is built on a different format than 360. You may not think you are using the 360 in your argument, but you are clearly using it as a baseline for performance/cost for the next-gen. That is a blatent generalization, and it is an overall narrow view of how technology works.

Your not providing any kind of argument either.? You're specualting that the PS3 will have to cut corners to reach a specific price point.? Really???? Is that the hard hitting insight you are providing us.? How do you know it's going to make a more expensive if they want to make it more powerful than the XBox360, their different architechture might make this possible at a cheaper price than Microsoft.? Fact is, you don't know anything about prices or performance.? All of your claims are speculation.? To answer your question of at what cost, :woot: :woot:

585973335[/snapback]

Jeez, you guys are quite thick in the head. I do not have any price point for the PS3. I'm thinking from Sony's perspective; why raise the performance 10-20% when only few people are going to appreciate the increase in performance. Instead they could stick to the same specs or maybe go lower to get a better price point.

You guys are ganging up on me:sleep::sleep:

I find it inetersting that everybody has been saying the ps3 will kill the Nintendo rev.

Both chips either the cell or the gpus arent even final. How was sony able to spout off numbers when they dont even have a chip to test ?

Jeez, you guys are quite thick in the head. I do not have any price point for the PS3. I'm thinking from Sony's perspective; why raise the performance 10-20% when only few people are going to appreciate the increase in performance. Instead they could stick to the same specs or maybe go lower to get a better price point.

585973352[/snapback]

Why not go for the extra performance at a lower price point. IT'S A DIFFERENT ARCHITECTURE. Nobody know if this is possible or not. All consoles try to find the sweet spot where costs dramatically increase, you are not telling us anything new. That's why XBox360 is coming out with the 3.2Ghz chips and not 4Ghz watercooled super expensive chips. Why go for the extra performance, because it makes our penis's bigger. Oh sorry, that's what the XBox fanboys think about the XBox.

okay, so basicly the g5 towers that microsoft was being used at e3 is something to talk about. it was a x800 setup. Only game that look good and i know for a fact is actually best looking is gears of war.. but let me reframe from this, the epic guy who is manning the unreal 3 engine, said that a 6200 could run any unreal 3 game, a 6800 ultra would run it fine at or above 1024x768. He also said the game engine graphics improve for next gen pcs graphics card. So really gears of war is REALLY nothing to be bragging about. now on topic with this discussion, 2 6800 ultras is least 10 times faster than my current pc, also the fact that epic game leader said that unreal 3 would run on low as a 6200 that is amazing.. So basicly the final version of the rsx will be nice im thinking probly upwards 3 x 6800ultra.

585971041[/snapback]

Uh Unreal Engine 2 ran on PS2 in crappy quality and low framerates. You don't seem to understant the engine, Epic is refering to the flexibility of the engine.

You guys are ganging up on me now.  :sleep:

585973352[/snapback]

how do you know only a few people will appreciate it? we don't even know exactly what the extra power could be used for (except for the gaming side of things: physics, AI etc.).

sony are being very ambitious. they don't want just a gaming machine. they want an entertainment centre, much like the x360. but we know what MS are aiming for with their entertainment features (although we don't know all of them). we have no idea what sony have planned. how, then, do you know the power won't be used? you don't know what it'll be used for.

585973352[/snapback]

maybe everyone is ganging up on you because... :gasp: they know that you're wrong? :unsure:

maybe everyone is ganging up on you because... :gasp: they know that you're wrong?  :unsure:

585973698[/snapback]

Or maybe its because the PS Fanboy club's nap time is over ? Is that why you are here too ? :p

Article from:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9177

Sony Computer Entertainment may be planning to follow exactly the same pricing model with PlayStation 3 as it did with its two previous consoles, according to the latest speculation on price to emerge from Japanese reports.

Both the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 launched at 39,800 Yen (294 Euro at today's conversion rates) when they arrived in the Far East, while the Xbox and the Cube both launched at lower prices - 34,800 Yen (257 Euro) and 25,000 Yen (185 Euro) respectively.

Now a report on Japanese website Impress PC Watch is indicating that Sony Computer Entertainment has cited a price point of less than 40,000 Yen for the PS3 launch in conversations with its business partners.

That would certainly seem to indicate that the traditional 39,800 Yen price point could be adhered to, and would bring the console in significantly lower than the 50,000 Yen (370 Euro) price point quoted by Japanese newspaper Mainichi Daily News last week.

The PlayStation 3 was unveiled by Sony at a special event in Los Angeles last week, and isn't expected to launch in Japan until next Spring. Microsoft's next generation console, the Xbox 360, is slated for a worldwide launch late this year, but no price point has yet been set for the device.

Five pages and virtually no constructive thoughts.

585973787[/snapback]

How can there be constructive thoughts when people resort to name calling, for example like this: :rolleyes:

I can't believe people haven't started going after OrangeSoul more. He starts these posts just to incite aggression and promote the Xbox 360.

OrangeSoul is the poster child of a 'fan boy'.

585971106[/snapback]

Hypocritic, arent we ? :whistle:

How can there be constructive thoughts when people resort to name calling, for example like this: :rolleyes:

Hypocritic, arent we ?  :whistle:

585973807[/snapback]

OWNED! :rofl:

585973807[/snapback]

Not really, once he starts up at least 10 threads bashing sony, then he would be considered a hypocrit for calling someone a fanboy. There are different levels of fanboys. Orange would be the president of MS's fanboy club.

585973807[/snapback]

hey c'mon, we can't blame anyone for calling orangesoul a fanboy. no matter what your stance on xbox360 or the ps3, and i respect either, you cannot deny that orangesoul's posts are all designed to bash the ps3 and/or make xbox360 look like the better console.

Orange would be the president of MS's fanboy club.

585973942[/snapback]

:yes:

585973807[/snapback]

I'm a hypocrit for stating the obvious? Baseless statements of opinion are not constructive. Calling someone out based on their lack of maturity IS constructive. I think you need to get back in school man.

Im not a fanboy, i just dont enjoy sequel after sequel flogging the dead horse. Plenty of new games announced for x360 unlike PS3, all sequels and 2006 versions.

585970728[/snapback]

well did you take into account that ps3 lauches AFTER XBOX360...the dev kits havent even been shipped i believe :unsure:

585973352[/snapback]

Unfortunately, that's not how it works. Sony doesn't go compromise between price point and performance. They set a price point, and then squeeze as much power into the box as possible for that price.

All the consoles do it. Ever see a console debut at $258? $307? Nope. They're all the same. Debut at $299. Lower the price later to $200 when it becomes cheaper to make the system and you need a sales boost. Lower it one more time to $150 about a year or so before you release the next console. Wash hands, repeat.

Sony knows exactly how much they're going to sell the PS3 for, so now the job is to get as much into the box as possible. Not save on a bit of performance so they can sell at a lower price.

All the consoles do it.  Ever see a console debut at $258?  $307?  Nope.  They're all the same.  Debut at $299.  Lower the price later to $200 when it becomes cheaper to make the system and you need a sales boost.  Lower it one more time to $150 about a year or so before you release the next console.  Wash hands, repeat.

585977218[/snapback]

I think the GameCube launched at $200, I can't remember: CNN. I read before they have beneficial deals worked out with ATI and especially MoSYS, their memory developer, which help keeps their costs down.

Nintendo has already signaled its intention to compete with the PlayStation 2 by announcing a 25,000 yen price tag for the Japan market and $200 price tag for the U.S. The PlayStation 2 is considerably more expensive at 35,000 yen, even after a recent price cut.
Edited by jmole

Im not a fanboy, i just dont enjoy sequel after sequel flogging the dead horse. Plenty of new games announced for x360 unlike PS3, all sequels and 2006 versions.

you are wrong....

The Darkness

Publisher: Majesco

Developer: Starbreeze Studios

Genre: Action

Release Date: TBA 2006

Eyedentify

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment

Developer: TBA

Genre: Camera and Voice-Controlled Adventure

Release Date: TBA

Heavenly Sword