BF2 demo

Quick question.. how well would a Radeon 9800 Pro play this game? I do like what I see from the demo so far, but my Radeon 9600 Pro EZ (slower clock than normal 9600 Pro) isn't handling it too well.. as you can get 9800 Pros nice and cheap now, I wanna know if it would make a significant different on this game!

Cheers :)

586062245[/snapback]

It plays pretty well on my system right now ... however I am upgrading to an x800 XL PCIe in the coming days, as it does show its age at higher resolutions. Especially with AA it slows down significantly.

I installed the 77.50 forceware drivers from Guru3d and the game runs MUCH smoother for me. Don't get me wrong, it ran fine on the 77.30's and all, but it just feels much better now. Plus, I started bench a bit, and I see anywhere from 30 fps (with everything on screen, explosions from artillery and everything) to 90+ fps. I'm maxed at 8x aa and 16x af, so I'm pretty happy with that.

I installed the 77.50 forceware drivers from Guru3d and the game runs MUCH smoother for me. Don't get me wrong, it ran fine on the 77.30's and all, but it just feels much better now. Plus, I started bench a bit, and I see anywhere from 30 fps (with everything on screen, explosions from artillery and everything) to 90+ fps. I'm maxed at 8x aa and 16x af, so I'm pretty happy with that.

586067080[/snapback]

Really? I will try it now :) *unfs his 6800gt*

586067080[/snapback]

And what Resolution?

I'm using the 77.30 (the ones who came with the demo) and I'm at 55 frames per second at 1600x1200 2xFSAA, all options High, draw distance max ....

I only play at 1024x768, anything higher (and sorry for those who play higher) and it is kinda hard to read text and what not. Though I suppose it might be different on a LCD.

I only play at 1024x768, anything higher (and sorry for those who play higher) and it is kinda hard to read text and what not. Though I suppose it might be different on a LCD.

586067363[/snapback]

It also depends on how big your monitor is.. On my 22" monitor, running the game @ 1600x1200 w/ 109Hz.. it looks damn fine. :D

hum...with 77.50 nvidia drivers I'm getting 23FPS in 1024*768 with all graphics in medium !!

Is this normal ?

My comp:

XP2400+ @ 2100 MhZ

GeForce 6600GT @ 540/950 MhZ

1GO ram PC3200 @ 400MhZ

Asus A7V8X-MX

Yeah, that's pretty normal I'd say. I saw some benchmarks, and the 6600GT was only getting like 35 fps man at 1024x768 res, so being your on a slower CPU, yeah that's about right.

586067363[/snapback]

I play BF2 in 1600x1200 on my Dell 2001FP ... and it's fr**king awesome :)

So yesterday I spend the better part of a BF2 match getting in choppers with people who have no idea how to fly. I swear my ratio was like 0-7 before I gave up :). Apart from that one experience, the demo has been good to me so far.

But about those resolutions, damn. 1600x1200? And it's playable? You're a lucky man.

So yesterday I spend the better part of a BF2 match getting in choppers with people who have no idea how to fly. I swear my ratio was like 0-7 before I gave up :). Apart from that one experience, the demo has been good to me so far.

586069168[/snapback]

In a similar incident last night, I could tell that the gunner in my heli was a kid by the way he was telling me he was an awesome pilot and was begging me to fly the heli, like I was somehow in control of who gets the heli or not. So after 15 minutes of begging I finally crashed and told him to have fun with the heli. So I respawn and watch him from a distance get into the MEC heli. He then proceeds to take off very wobbly. Not more then 2 seconds later, after he moved 5 feet forward, he loses control of the heli, it starts spinning wildly, and he crashed into that damn oil derilick that is just outside the base. The worst part was he teamspoke that he was shot down when no one was even in the area at the time.

In a similar incident last night, I could tell that the gunner in my heli was a kid by the way he was telling me he was an awesome pilot and was begging me to fly the heli, like I was somehow in control of who gets the heli or not.  So after 15 minutes of begging I finally crashed and told him to have fun with the heli.  So I respawn and watch him from a distance get into the MEC heli.  He then proceeds to take off very wobbly.  Not more then 2 seconds later, after he moved 5 feet forward, he loses control of the heli, it starts spinning wildly, and he crashed into that damn oil derilick that is just outside the base.  The worst part was he teamspoke that he was shot down when no one was even in the area at the time.

586069335[/snapback]

LOL

the only bad expierence i have is that no one joins my server. accept ppl i know.

If you played Battlefield: Vietnam for a period of time this game has the exact same helicopter control and mechanics. It's way easier though to fly in this game because at least they give you a warning when a SAM or plane is locked onto you. One shot from a shoulder lauched AA rocket launcher in BF: Vietnam could take down a heli without warning. And at least they give you chaff to fire off too, which give helis a chance to survive.

In a similar incident last night, I could tell that the gunner in my heli was a kid by the way he was telling me he was an awesome pilot and was begging me to fly the heli, like I was somehow in control of who gets the heli or not.  So after 15 minutes of begging I finally crashed and told him to have fun with the heli.  So I respawn and watch him from a distance get into the MEC heli.  He then proceeds to take off very wobbly.  Not more then 2 seconds later, after he moved 5 feet forward, he loses control of the heli, it starts spinning wildly, and he crashed into that damn oil derilick that is just outside the base.  The worst part was he teamspoke that he was shot down when no one was even in the area at the time.

586069335[/snapback]

He could've had a missile lock on him @ the time.. and got the impression it was the missile that hit him.

I know some servers where there are ppl on anti-aircraft guns the whole time.. From the second I take off the ground, I am annoyed by the constant buzz of the missile warning.

No prob, though.. just do a couple of spins in the air and you can lose them pretty easily.. then they have some 14 missiles to worry about themselves. :devil:

I am new to the BF series (been playing Typhoon Rising and Operation Flashpoint) and I found piloting the helo and jets extremely challenging. Not only did they react sluggishly but it seems that I had almost no control over them. Any tips on how to fly these things in a straight line? Anyways, I am loving the demo and can't wait to try out the full game.

I am new to the BF series (been playing Typhoon Rising and Operation Flashpoint) and I found piloting the helo and jets extremely challenging.  Not only did they react sluggishly but it seems that I had almost no control over them.  Any tips on how to fly these things in a straight line?  Anyways, I am loving the demo and can't wait to try out the full game.

586069648[/snapback]

To be honest, you need a joystick (if you aren't using one already of course). If you are using a keybord, its pretty hard to fly a heli, but not impossible.

er, helis easy :)

btw i'm playing on a 6600gt, 3200+ athlon 64, 512mb ram

low settings work fine, medium work too but system caches a bit at start of maps, high didn't work, had to increase virtual memory size

After all this, what are the optimum specs?

6800gt?

1gb ram?

will a 2500+ play it?

586069683[/snapback]

i have an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 2ghz with 1gb ram and a 9800 pro.

And it runs great, i even enabled 2xAA because the aliasing was too much annoying :D