windows 98 cant start

when i try to load up win98.. the screen showed windows protection error... something to do with vkd error... anybody can help?

tried to re-install the OS but still cannot!

wanted to install xp as u said... btu what to do.. old pc ... amd k6 500mhz... so need to stick to win98 no matter how...

anybody can help pls?

wanted to install xp as u said... btu what to do.. old pc ... amd k6 500mhz... so need to stick to win98 no matter how...

anybody can help pls?

586067610[/snapback]

you still can install winxp

but it might be pretty slow

maybe if you disable many unnecesarry services/processes, you can make it run at an acceptable speed

but i think it is ok at that speed

installed xp once in a machine of those specs

what can you help do you need?

^Oh these guys are sooooo useful. not wasting time ans space.

Windows protection errors are created by faulty VxD's. Try booting and shutting down your computer in safe mode and see if it works then.

get to safe mode by holdin CTRL when booting.

First of all, indeed it's windows 98, you should expect that :) but as we're on the windows 98/ME forums, it's my duty to shut up and help you out :)

What do you mean you cannot reinstall the OS? Windows 98 is a long time ago for me. But did you try booting with a bootdisk? Somewhere in windows you can find a tool to make a bootdisk, in the control panel->system i believe.. but i'm not sure, so don't shoot me :) You then have to boot with that disk and format your harddisk. After that you can lauch the setup from the cd if i'm not mistaken, and all should go fine.

Please give us details on why you cannot install the OS? Ohw about your error, it sounds pretty unfixable.. So i'm affraid a format will indeed be needed

well, i've actually formatted the hdd and boot from the win98cd and re-install the os. installation goes very well but when it try to start win98 for the first time; after the starting windows screen the windows protection error came up again! and the same vkd error. so...hope this will clear things up why i'm lost on how to fix this.

It could be a hardware conflict, try removing all add on PCI cards and re-installing.

BTW: please give us the exact error message.