1500 Sheep Jump off Cliff, 450 Die

ISTANBUL, Turkey Jul 8, 2005 ? First one sheep jumped to its death. Then stunned Turkish shepherds, who had left the herd to graze while they had breakfast, watched as nearly 1,500 others followed, each leaping off the same cliff, Turkish media reported.

In the end, 450 dead animals lay on top of one another in a billowy white pile, the Aksam newspaper said. Those who jumped later were saved as the pile got higher and the fall more cushioned, Aksam reported.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=920398

Moved to NFN since there is a serious side to it.

Ok, as sorry as I feel for the families (and that's a lot of dead sheep so that's kind of sad too) just envisioning all these sheep going off the edge of a cliff reminds me of some old Looney Tunes shorts. And I think it was in "Ice Age" that a bunch of (dodo birds was it?) made themselves extinct by chasing a watermelon over the edge of a cliff. Can't help but picture those and laugh. Feel sorry for the families though.

Ok, as sorry as I feel for the families (and that's a lot of dead sheep so that's kind of sad too) just envisioning all these sheep going off the edge of a cliff reminds me of some old Looney Tunes shorts. And I think it was in "Ice Age" that a bunch of (dodo birds was it?) made themselves extinct by chasing a watermelon over the edge of a cliff. Can't help but picture those and laugh. Feel sorry for the families though.

586182524[/snapback]

Oh man i so remember that scene, i can't remember how long ilaughed though i almost ****ed my pants though. Pure comedic genius pure genius on their part for the creation of that scene

I saw something on Discovery Channel once about rams. They are usually found in cliffy terrain and I think the show was in Scotland or somewhere. Anyway, they said rams are common for falling off cliffs, something with their vision or visual acuity, I can't remember. They also said when the males have butting contests they do it on cliffs as well. Pretty weird.