removing a socket A 462 heatsink

I just got a new heatsink,and I was wondering how do I remove my old one,I have a amd 2800 xp processor so the heatsink is a socket A 462,I see there is some sort of clip thing on one of the sides,which way do I push it?(down,up,in,ect.)I cant get a very good look at it being my motherboards still in the case(Im not going to remove it ether),also what should I do to keep the cpu from sticking to the heatsink while I take it out?,and I assume I should just use rubbing alcohol and a qtip to remove the old paste?,and how much new paste should I put on my cpu...I also heard that you should put a little on your heatsink is that true?,is there any other tips you guys can give me?

thanks

BTW the thermal paste is arctic silver 5 and the heatsink is a coolermaster xdream3

Use a flat head screw driver, place it on the notch on the retention clip, and gently push it down, and away from the socket. If the heatsink should lift right off if the thermal paste hasn't baked on.

Clean it all with rubbing alcohol or the like.

Use a rice sized blob of paste one the cpu, spread it very thinly/evenly over the cpu. Add a very small amount to the bottom of the heatsink, and rub it in with some soft of lint free material (saran wrap works well)

dont mean to bump but I just installed the heatsink,every thing went fine I think,Im pretty sure I got the right amount of paste,the only problem was the heatsink clip was VERY stiff.I have one last question...how long do I have to wait if at all to turn on my computer?

thanks again for all the help

turned my pc on and ran farcry with everything on max at 1024x768 for about 15 to 20 minutes,its a pretty hot day in the 80s and the same in my room,the cppu temp was 43c..wOOt my old cpu on a day like today idled at around 50c,thats a nice improvment 43c may not be the best temp you can get,but for spending $14 on a heatsink thats pretty darn good I think :D

thank you all very much for all the help :) ;) :cool:

oh god damn it,Ive had my pc on for a while now...and Im idling at 50c...ahhhhh thats no different than my old crappy 60mm heatsink,my new one is a 80mm one it looks like a better one and the fan runs at 33CFM,and theres a 120mm fan right above it blowing out all the hot air it ejects,I have a amd barton 2800xp processor,shouldint it be a lot cooler than that???,did I not put anuff thermal paste on it or somthing?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :angry: :angry: :angry: