XPM Classic RC3

@Schmoove

Disagree all you like - I know I am right. Apologies for being arrogant, but I am getting fed up having to justify everything I do. My experience making interfaces goes far beyond Windows Themes, and an *important* rule (which applies to ANY interface) is that padding margins are best employed with regard to vertical elements - they are easier to identify in your peripheral vision.

And more to the point: I like the space around it. If you don't, don't use the theme or mod it.

So in short: If you do not understand/appreciate the reasoning - don't post acting like you are some kind of professional interface reviewer.

Sorry for the rant. I have little time to theme, and having to spend time justifying elements of the design are a WASTE of my time. Why do I even bother replying? I'm starting to appreciate Bants stance on releases "Use it - dont use it, like it - dont like it". :?)

This does not apply to all of the useful feedback and bug reports by the way, that is welcome(Y))

Onto the actual bug reports:

1. Google bar: Will look into it - thanks.

2. Photoshop caption buttons: being looked into already, along with the combo boxes that don't draw correctly.

Ewww..... Why can't you be more polite? Bose is doing this out of his free time and resources, and yet you are being disrespectful?

586235818[/snapback]

i thought my tone was more playful than disrepsectful...sorry if it came on to you that way...uhhhhh

p.s. please?

What icons do you guys think fits this theme best? I'm currently using Elements by Andy.

586236700[/snapback]

I am using Pastels by Marvilla!

Yes the Pastel set is very nice. Ages ago, before this theme was even near a 'prototype', I asked Marvilla if I could use this set and include it with the final release (Y)

I took the 'eew' as a light-hearted comment btw. That didn't rattle me like some others :?)

I will re-ask Marvilla, as I'd like to include the set because they are indeed beautiful icons.

I might add a dark colour variation to this. Instead of black, I'm thinking a completely dark colour. Like Dusk from Opus OS, but nicer :?)

:) b0se this theme is really very nice design, very good colour choices, dark colour sounds good. Would you include min,max, close buttons and tab line (that green one) like in rc1 in substyle perhaps ? I have looked so many styles and very few are designed with good eye and style (I mean consept, full/compact start panels, colours etc) and you b0se really have shown that you can make very good one's, many thanks for that. But it's always personal taste what looks good to someone.

Looks pretty good so far, just don't like button set up.  The mockup JimPhelps did looked great

XPMC-main.png

586229857[/snapback]

Jim-Phelps is a fantastic winamp skinner, I hope he deceides to do that mockup.

b0ss, did you figure out what Kol did on Olive Verde to make those combos show right? Were you able to fix the panel titlebar blue colour that shows up in Visual Studio? Should I assume NO when you don't say anything?

@Schmoove

Disagree all you like - I know I am right. Apologies for being arrogant, but I am getting fed up having to justify everything I do. My experience making interfaces goes far beyond Windows Themes, and an *important* rule (which applies to ANY interface) is that padding margins are best employed with regard to vertical elements - they are easier to identify in your peripheral vision.

And more to the point: I like the space around it. If you don't, don't use the theme or mod it.

So in short: If you do not understand/appreciate the reasoning - don't post acting like you are some kind of professional interface reviewer.

Sorry for the rant. I have little time to theme, and having to spend time justifying elements of the design are a WASTE of my time. Why do I even bother replying? I'm starting to appreciate Bants stance on releases "Use it - dont use it, like it - dont like it". :?)

This does not apply to all of the useful feedback and bug reports by the way, that is welcome(Y))

Onto the actual bug reports:

1. Google bar: Will look into it - thanks.

2. Photoshop caption buttons: being looked into already, along with the combo boxes that don't draw correctly.

586236420[/snapback]

Fine with me... I don't really care much since I don't use the theme anyways.

You do what you think is right.

I personally have a lot of experience in GUI design for corporate applications, both in the field of designing them as managing quality and consistency. So don't act like you know who I am and what kind of work I do, because you don't.

I know I am right... but that is not the point.

I just tried to provide some funded criticism, nothing to break you down in any way. You don't appreciate it fine, do with it whatever you want. And your arrogance... well your irritated way of replying says enough.

Uhm... actually you do NOT have to aim a little bit right from the edge to hit the start button.

I can just aim for the edge in the very bottom and very left and still hit the start button.

That is not the point. The padding on the left creates the feeling for the user that you can't click there....

But I'm not going to get into this, because it is of no use...

Fine with me... I don't really care much since I don't use the theme anyways.

You do what you think is right.

I personally have a lot of experience in GUI design for corporate applications, both in the field of designing them as managing quality and consistency. So don't act like you know who I am and what kind of work I do, because you don't.

I know I am right... but that is not the point.

I just tried to provide some funded criticism, nothing to break you down in any way. You don't appreciate it fine, do with it whatever you want. And your arrogance... well your irritated way of replying says enough.

But I'm not going to get into this, because it is of no use...

586237548[/snapback]

You look at my behaviour over the years on Neowin (and any other forum) and you'll know I'm not an arrogant person. This time around, I've had enough of people telling me what they think is best.

You design corporate interfaces? I find this hard to believe; padding is *vital* for peripheral recognition of GUI elements - as a professional, you would know this.

My last post came across that it was directly at you, solely. It wasn't.

That is not the point. The padding on the left creates the feeling for the user that you  can't click there....

Null point.

1. No it doesn't; and more importantly...

2. Why would you want to click there?

Just like the clock on the right of the taskbar having right padding, the start button has left padding. Why add padding to the clock so its easier to see, but not to the start button (which you look at even more)?

They are both balanced as I ensured they have the same padding from their respective edges. Thats called edge balancing - but wait; you already know this because you design corporate interfaces.

I will comment on this no more.

FYI: I also design corporate interfaces.

You look at my behaviour over the years on Neowin (and any other forum) and you'll know I'm not an arrogant person. This time around, I've had enough of people telling me what they think is best.

You design corporate interfaces? I find this hard to believe; padding is *vital* for peripheral recognition of GUI elements - as a professional, you would know this.

My last post came across that it was directly at you, solely. It wasn't.

Null point.

1. No it doesn't; and more importantly...

2. Why would you want to click there?

Just like the clock on the right of the taskbar having right padding, the start button has left padding. Why add padding to the clock so its easier to see, but not to the start button (which you look at even more)?

They are both balanced as I ensured they have the same padding from their respective edges. Thats called edge balancing - but wait; you already know this because you design corporate interfaces.

I will comment on this no more.

FYI: I also design corporate interfaces.

586237677[/snapback]

I don't feel the need to prove myself to you. You don't have to believe me, that is a choice you make.

Why do you think in most OSes the startbutton (or whatever they call it in the OS) is aligned to a side? Take a look at Windows, Gnome, KDE or any other OS. There is a reason for it. Padding is indeed important, but use it in the right places in the right way. But you seem to know better.

I don't want to comment on this any further. Good luck with it.

Indeed, many OS's do have no padding, but some do.

Mac OSX is a prime example; it uses padding on the finder bar for the same reason - balance. Mac are renowed for investing in UI useability.

But you seem to know better.

Please, drop this attitude. You are the one commenting about what you think is best - not visa-versa.

Edited by b0se

geez.. waaahh wahhhh.. you kids settle down..plz.

for what its worth i see both of your points and i believe that it is a matter of preference...and.. this being b0se' theme i guess his preference takes..precident?

Now kiss and makeup before you get put to bed early..the both of you !

and.. I also design corporate interfaces. :D

Edited by Winswy

Ok now back on topic, i personally think that this theme would look great with rounded caption buttons, so I opened up Reshacker and made them. I will post a screenshot and bitmaps, if its ok with b0se of course, if anybody wants them. i just thought maybe somebody else would like them too.

Indeed, many OS's do have no padding, but some do.

Mac OSX is a prime example; it uses padding on the finder bar for the same reason - balance. Mac are renowed for investing in UI useability.

Please, drop this attitude. You are the one commenting about what you think is best - not visa-versa.

586237802[/snapback]

b0se, I never have much to say on these forums but I must say you've done a fine, fine job with this visual style. I am using it on all three of my computers.

There are only two things that I am not too fond of.

1.) The left panel of the start menu (normal) is too narrow. Some of my applications have longer names which would normally appear on one line but appear on two lines because of the width. And the E-mail application "Microsoft Office Outlook" is cut off. Even the right panel could be a bit larger so Administrative Tools isn't right up against the edge.

2.) I don?t care for the logo on the start menu or on the ALT+TAB Replacement window. However, this is very minor.

With that said, I think this is the best visual style I've seen and used in quite some time. Perfect for IT professionals. Keep up the great work.

b0se, ignore him. Your doing a good job. It is your theme and you have listened to a lot of what different members have asked and or suggested and you have even implemented things without straying from your vision of this theme. You even took the time to explain why you did not want to do what he was suggesting and that should have been good enough for him. I for one thank you for even taking the time to do this for the community.

By the way, the icon set I use is the luna alt ip theme and it goes REAL well with this.

Preview

Download

b0se, ignore him. Your doing a good job. It is your theme and you have listened to a lot of what different members have asked and or suggested and you have even implemented things without straying from your vision of this theme. You even took the time to explain why you did not want to do what he was suggesting and that should have been good enough for him. I for one thank you for even taking the time to do this for the community.

By the way, the icon set I use is the luna alt ip theme and it goes REAL well with this.

http://www.wincustomize.com/Preview.aspx?S...Z71/ip/1343.jpg

586238230[/snapback]

Where can I dl those?

Edit: NM. Get them here.

Edited by BMac

http://www.wincustomize.com/Preview.aspx?S...Z71/ip/1343.jpg

586238230[/snapback]

should included a link to actual icons there agent smith :)