450MHz server

I am setting up an old 450MHz P2, 384MB pc100 Dell as a home server for ISO's and File backups.

It will have 2x 20GB, 1x 80GB (i plan to get some 120's later on).

it will be pluged into a router, but most the machines will access it wirelessly, including 1 Mac, 1 XP Pro, 1 2000Pro, 1 98se, 1 XP Pro x64, 1 XP Home.

I have a RC of Server 2003 R2 and was wondering:

-how it would run on this machine?

-would teh Mac have problems accessing it

-can i set some folders so that ony certain machines or users can access certain folders without having them all on a domain(they are on a workgroup)

As far as I know, it wouldn't run on that. I think it would refuse to install. When I wanted to play arround with Server 2003 I had to upgrade the machine (well, a friend gave me an old one of his).

- Brent

I am setting up an old 450MHz P2, 384MB pc100 Dell as a home server for ISO's and File backups.

it will be pluged into a router, but most the machines will access it wirelessly, including 1 Mac, 1 XP Pro, 1 2000Pro, 1 98se, 1 XP Pro x64, 1 XP Home.

-can i set some folders so that ony certain machines or users can access certain folders without having them all on a domain(they are on a workgroup)

586201414[/snapback]

If it did run, it would only do so for 180 days anyway before it expired.

I know it will install ( i had it on a 400mhz 128mb laptop) but not very long, and that was a while ago.

I'd look at backtracking to an older version of Windows or even consider Linux to run on that mate.. Windows Server 2003 might be a bit tough going for it.

You absolutely positively shouldn't turn it into an Active Directory controller cause I think that will put it on its knees! Basic stock install, disable as much as you can, and just use it for file storage, and it might just be ok. To help boost it up consider hunting out some more RAM and a fast disk.. both are exceptionally cheap these days! :)

Ah right. There must have been a good reason I wanted a beefier machine? Oh well. Probably for SQL Server or something.

The server I have at the moment is a 700MHz, 512MB RAM and runs like a donkey! (http://home.brentnewbury.com/)

I'm using it as a development Web Server with SQL Server 2000 installed.

- Brent

post-74594-1121186567_thumb.jpg

586201414[/snapback]

picture form MS-site for system requierments Edit: sorry soemhow image went in between the Quote atleast on my screen

It'll run ok on that spec - it's above the minimum requirements. It might get a little sluggish if you turn it into a domain controller and/or install Exchange or something but it certainly will run.

I'm guessing you want to go 2003 to play around with it? Really, there's nothing 2003 can do as a file server that just about any other NT-based OS can't so 2000 or XP would also do the job fine.

Free-BSD seems like a perfect fit in this situation: it can be configured so that it's light enough to work with the hardware you have, and powerful enough as a server to fulfill your needs.

Yea...you could install it on that PC. The real question is whether you would WANT to. If you disable most of the services that you don't need then you could use it for what you want. I wouldn't install Active Directory though, a bit tough. Good luck!

if this "server" is just holding files, why not just do a bare 200 install, removing as much as possible, and then share the folders? You don't need a server to share folders... Doing it this way will also cut back on the running services.

I have small offices running Windows servers on limited hardware.

One has a PIII-500MHz with about 256MB of RAM (maybe 384MB) and the other is a PIII-800MHz with 128MB RAM (it requires registered memory so I haven't bothered).

I have win2k3 sp1 in a Celeron 333 with 512MB RAM and only a 4 gb to the operating system....doing DC,DHCP,RRAS,DNS,RIS,GW,WAMP and a bunch of other thingies just for fun...of course you cant expect it to run smoth as a PIV, but once you set it up...theres no need to fiddle with it anyways.

The Windows 2000 Server Family should more than well suit you.

As a slight tangent I have installed Windows 2000 Professional on

a 486 with the force parameter for the installer invoked. Interesting

results incured no doubt. 2 applications simultanously running was

quickly dicovered as the limits for this equipment. If your access to

the operating system binaries is an issues, you may let me know.

Good Luck.