Windows Vista Beta 1

Does anybody know if I can use my key to install Vista on two computers? I have two testing machine, and I'd like to run it on both. I tried requesting a new key through Connect, but it doesn't give me a new key.

You should be able to Deepu

586293745[/snapback]

Thanks. Does this mean that activation is disabled in this build? Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing any dialogs about activation when I installed it on my laptop.

Plus, does it bother anyone that the "Shutdown/Restart/Standby" button does not have any confirmation dialog? An accidental click on it could mean data loss.

Thanks. Does this mean that activation is disabled in this build?

586293751[/snapback]

Its done a bit like XP Pro Corp at the mo, you enter the key when you install but thats all, i dont think it ever checks to see if another computer is using it or anything

Ok I just got that BSOD again, but this time there was this little defect left on the screen in the upper right side, when I clicked on it, instant BSOD. It looks like it was a remnant of an IE tab or something...I'll try to get a screenshot if I can.

Well, I have spent at least 18 hours on trying to install it on my laptop and It just will not work. Oh well. I could install it on my desktop but, I seriously do not want to change what I have set up, way too much of my work. All my hardware I have double checked to make sure it is supported only thing I am not sure about is my Intel Pro Wireless 2200 pci. I am seriously upset and frustrated at this.

I have no idea what the issue is, all my hardware is supported I even logged in and redownloaded the ISO thinking it may have been a bad burn or download.

586293731[/snapback]

Do you have anything like Norton/Symantec Ghost or Acronis TrueImage so you can back the desktop up then install Vista B1?

Wow, glass is working on my 6800gt now, excellent.

The only other big issue left is the sound. After about two minutes, wmp10 starts to get "cracky"

Anybody found a fix for this?

Thanks. Does this mean that activation is disabled in this build? Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing any dialogs about activation when I installed it on my laptop.

Plus, does it bother anyone that the "Shutdown/Restart/Standby" button does not have any confirmation dialog? An accidental click on it could mean data loss.

586293751[/snapback]

m$ changed the way activation pops up. Instead of popping on the first day it will wait till the last week or so and then pop up every day.

Wow, glass is working on my 6800gt now, excellent.

The only other big issue left is the sound. After about two minutes, wmp10 starts to get "cracky"

Anybody found a fix for this?

586293820[/snapback]

I have same problem with WMP10 !

any solutions?

My personal thoughts on Virtual Folders

I love using them for music but for pictures and documents i have found them rather iratating. With a couple of hundred test documents i think it just becomes unusable. I prefer just to browse my pictures and documents through a traditional folder based style.

As i said for music i love it, as all my music has corrent tags so applying the filters works great.

::Bug

Under network connections if you have a internet gateway section, click on the "Internet Connection" icon, the properties windows displays then disapears.

I just noticed that by installing these new nvidia drivers I gained the glass effect, but I lost the nvidia control panel.

Has this happened to others as well?

Its done a bit like XP Pro Corp at the mo, you enter the key when you install but thats all, i dont think it ever checks to see if another computer is using it or anything

586293772[/snapback]

There is activiation. Leaked keys won't activate. It just doesn't bother you right away like it used to. Improvement !

Anybody noticed that when you have the glass effect over a plane desktop (with or without wallpaper) some strange shapes (shadows appear).

586294016[/snapback]

Why do you think its called "Glass" ?

I dont think its possible to take screenshot of the logon screen. I have however captured it right after i typed password and hit enter. It looks like the picture below, just with the win xp style user list. For your convenience I also show the save dialog, and as a bonus you can see an error message too  :fun:

post-31925-1122614447_thumb.jpg

Question: Does anyone know why it doesnt work to use SERVERNAME - i have to use IP when connecting to other PCs... \\server\ does not work, \\10.0.0.1\ works...  :unsure:

Also, isnt it possible to map a network drive to a drive letter? It only adds a shortcut to the full path?

586290349[/snapback]

In the release notes it mentions that computer browsing has been removed from net neighborhood(or whatever it is called now) from vista onwards. It might be a side effect.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm trying to install Vista but I get this message in a cmd window after the first reboot:

"This environment should only be used to recover from a failed installation. Type Exit and then Enter to resume setup."

I type exit and then enter, cmd close and my computer restarts...

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm trying to install Vista but I get this message in a cmd window after the first reboot:

"This environment should only be used to recover from a failed installation.  Type Exit and then Enter to resume setup."

I type exit and then enter, cmd close and my computer restarts...

586294272[/snapback]

Do you have the DVD?