Wear your damn cap straight!

what next, would we like to designate an umpire to stand around with a protractor and stop the play to check that everyone's hats are "uniformly centred" on their head?! "the brim-line of your cap is 1/5th of a degree off the perpendicular of the vertical centre-line of your body, 1500$ fine!"

get, real, lets keep the phrase at the end of the national athem "Play Ball", and not "Zieg Heil"

All I'm saying is that the opinion of many players (warranted or not) will be determined by something as miniscule as this on the surface. C.C. Sabathia was one of the first ballplayers that I noticed doing this a few years back, and I have always felt he looked like a fool because of it. I just don't want it turning into the way the uniforms have gone in basketball. No, I'm not asking for a return to the short shorts, but some of these players are wearing uniforms so baggy that it's a wonder they don't trip over them and fall flat on their faces. It just looks ridiculous and exhibits a lack of class for a game that has such a rich history and pays them millions. I guess I'm old fashioned. I'll laugh my head off when the day comes that a player misjudges a ball bacause the brim of his cap was off to the side and the sun got in his eyes.

All I'm saying is that the opinion of many players (warranted or not) will be determined by something as miniscule as this on the surface.  C.C. Sabathia was one of the first ballplayers that I noticed doing this a few years back, and I have always felt he looked like a fool because of it.  I just don't want it turning into the way the uniforms have gone in basketball.  No, I'm not asking for a return to the short shorts, but some of these players are wearing uniforms so baggy that it's a wonder they don't trip over them and fall flat on their faces.  It just looks ridiculous and exhibits a lack of class for a game that has such a rich history and pays them millions.  I guess I'm old fashioned.  I'll laugh my head off when the day comes that a player misjudges a ball bacause the brim of his cap was off to the side and the sun got in his eyes.

586363219[/snapback]

Very well stated and EXACTLY how I feel.

It's obviously a fashion show. When the rules are broken, even just ever so slightly ... people argue and get annoyed about it, which turns into such a petty argument it's quite laughable.

Aside from the big fashion show - it's a game! Probably designed to have fun and to be played by anyone. Even the ones that would like to bend the rules in how they should look...they shouldn't be excluded from having the chance to play to their best..., and they are obviously their own boss; not just the guy who signs the paychecks. These players are the ultimate boss who makes the ultimate decisions. Please don't make it sound as if someone owns them because of money.

... but some of these players are wearing uniforms so baggy that it's a wonder they don't trip over them and fall flat on their faces.

586363219[/snapback]

Who does this i dont see any baggy uniforms on the field.

This world is too uptight sometimes when it comes to simple pleasures in life such as enjoying a fun game of baseball.

586362896[/snapback]

and that is the attitude now on how parents are raising their kids and look how that is turning out. Kids are getting dumber and dumber by making really stupid decisions which is caused by this generation of just saying "everybody lightin up a bit". We need rules. Comeon people, are you going to tell me that these old baseball pics that are being posted arent of the clowns of the game, regardless of their stats. It is about respect of the game when the issue comes up about proper uniforms and the hat being straight. If a professional ball player wants to put his hat sideways, tilted, or backward, go play slowpitch softball and have a beer and a smoke on the field while your at it.

surely if they wear comfortable stuff that would help them, im not a baseball expert, but when i do sport, i wear comfortable stuff, not like jeans etc because it affects my performance, so i think baseball players should have the right to wear the uniform in anyway

Who does this i dont see any baggy uniforms on the field.

586363400[/snapback]

I know Shawn Chacon does it and I'm not thrilled with it. Even worse is Manny Ramirez's jersey.

Im more worried about who has enough respect to take their hats off for the national anthem, and not spit in the dust and scuff their cleats, than whether or not they care to wear it 'perfectly' straight, on, or off the field. Its baseball, not the Royal Life Guards, or the 3rd Infantry Regiment...

I know Shawn Chacon does it and I'm not thrilled with it. Even worse is Manny Ramirez's jersey.

586363462[/snapback]

focus on the game being played, not there clothes, it's as simple as that. There's always the channel up/down button.

Same with folks that complain about how people dress in public. This is why we are born with rotating eyebals and necks, to look the other way. They shouldn't be judged on the quality and /or style of there dress, but the content of there character.

Same with folks that complain about how people dress in public. This is why we are born with rotating eyebals and necks, to look the other way. They shouldn't be judged on the quality and /or style of there dress, but the content of there character.

586363475[/snapback]

well, Im gonna have to be a hypocrite on that one and say that there IS an appropriate level of dress for "public appearances". Moreover, some people just shouldn't wear certain kinds of clothes.

586363462[/snapback]

I dont see the baggy-ness.. You cant run with baggy stuff on, if they can play its not baggy, a little more loose fit but not baggy. And a little bigger jersey is nothing.

well, Im gonna have to be a hypocrite on that one and say that there IS an appropriate level of dress for "public appearances".  Moreover, some people just shouldn't wear certain kinds of clothes.

586363485[/snapback]

That's a whole other debate though, let's keep this one strictly to the topic at hand.

and that is the attitude now on how parents are raising their kids and look how that is turning out. Kids are getting dumber and dumber by making really stupid decisions which is caused by this generation of just saying "everybody lightin up a bit". We need rules. Comeon people, are you going to tell me that these old baseball pics that are being posted arent of the clowns of the game, regardless of their stats. It is about respect of the game when the issue comes up about proper uniforms and the hat being straight. If a professional ball player wants to put his hat sideways, tilted, or backward, go play slowpitch softball and have a beer and a smoke on the field while your at it.

586363407[/snapback]

the laid back thing isnt what your talking about, your talking about parents not paying Attention or not caring.

and i dont see a connection of tilting a hat, and smoking and having a beer :wacko:

In my opinion, wearing your hat sideways can make your appearance look sloppy or unprofessional. Sure, you're playing a game, but you're doing it for a living on national TV where everyone is watching what you do.

Take news anchors for instance. They definately don't wear a t-shirt and shorts on TV and if they did, I would take them less seriously even though I rarely ever dress in anything nicer than that.

And yeah, that's apples and oranges, but my point still stands. When you make sure your appearance is spotless, it conveys a message that you're serious about what you're doing and that you're going to do your best.

In fact, he has been doing it since Little League because he's legally blind in his left eye and turning his cap to one side gives him a slightly clearer view.

Enough said. Shut up, leave the kid alone. It's not your hat so mind your own d*** business.

Do you know how many news anchors don't wear what we'd consider "professional" clothes beneath the table? lol. I know it's made a joke of quite often but you'd be surprised how often it's true. I'm not sharing any opinion on whether or not that's "proper" or anything but it came to mind when I read that and I had a nice laugh lol.

586363407[/snapback]

And he said that in reference to a simple pleasure like enjoying a game of baseball. Our attitude toward the way a hat is worn in a game does not correlate in ANY way to the reason people can't raise their kids correctly. I don't see the big deal with the hat but I plan on being a hell of a strict parent because that's the way I was raised.

Anyway, back on topic. About the baggy thing. I know it's growing in baseball too but I think stncttr908 was referring to basketball players.

Do you know how many news anchors don't wear what we'd consider "professional" clothes beneath the table? lol. I know it's made a joke of quite often but you'd be surprised how often it's true. I'm not sharing any opinion on whether or not that's "proper" or anything but it came to mind when I read that and I had a nice laugh lol.

586363624[/snapback]

:laugh: Haha, but that's my point. It's all in the appearance (unfair as it may be).

@xxdemus: I think most of us are talking about sideways hats in general. With that guy's case, it should be fine.

Enough said. Shut up, leave the kid alone. It's not your hat so mind your own d*** business.

586363621[/snapback]

Did you bother reading? The discussion is about current players who do it and who aren't blind in one eye.

All I'm saying is that the opinion of many players (warranted or not) will be determined by something as miniscule as this on the surface.  C.C. Sabathia was one of the first ballplayers that I noticed doing this a few years back, and I have always felt he looked like a fool because of it.  I just don't want it turning into the way the uniforms have gone in basketball.  No, I'm not asking for a return to the short shorts, but some of these players are wearing uniforms so baggy that it's a wonder they don't trip over them and fall flat on their faces.  It just looks ridiculous and exhibits a lack of class for a game that has such a rich history and pays them millions.  I guess I'm old fashioned.  I'll laugh my head off when the day comes that a player misjudges a ball bacause the brim of his cap was off to the side and the sun got in his eyes.

586363219[/snapback]

Have to agree with stnctr's statement, coming from playing baseball for 11 years and seeing kids in highschool sagging their pants, getting a uniform 2 sizes too big is just idiotic. This isnt baseball in the PJ's nor is it gangster ball. Wear the uniform how its intended, cap straight, shirt tucked in, pants pulled up.

the laid back thing isnt what your talking about, your talking about parents not paying Attention or not caring.

and i dont see a connection of tilting a hat, and smoking and having a beer  :wacko:

586363510[/snapback]

the beer and smokes is about slow pitch softball, where old hasbeens play, like myself :D

the beer and smokes is about slow pitch softball, where old hasbeens play, like myself  :D

586363705[/snapback]

29 and your a hasbeen? Being a bit harsh on yourself, no? lol

This is just a minor thing for people who care about baseball, go fix your steriod problems first then worry about how player salaries are growing out of control and then finally after you've done all that go worry about caps.

29 and your a hasbeen? Being a bit harsh on yourself, no? lol

586363719[/snapback]

Did you see us playing basketball today? It's definitely possible haha.

This is just a minor thing for people who care about baseball, go fix your steriod problems first then worry about how player salaries are growing out of control and then finally after you've done all that go worry about caps.

586363732[/snapback]

Salaries aren't a problem in a sport that people actually watch ;)