[NFL] Jason White "Retires"

Well the Heisman is a college award, not an NFL predictor. I think we should remember that. As for Jason White, he was a good college player, he really was. Sure he was part of great teams, but its not like he wouldn't have been starting for any other team out there. Both the losses to LSU and USC were really team losses, not just b/c of QB play. Personally, I'm sorry to see him retire, but we all knew his knees were going to keep him from playing in the NFL; I hope he can go be a HS coach or something and make a difference in some young guys' lives.

That's like saying Trent Green lost his job to a grocery bagger in St. Louis -- it may be true, but it's stupid to say because Trent Green obviously is still a more-than-competent NFL QB. You can't compare these things -- sometimes longshots make it. Sometimes highly-touted players don't pan out. Nothing is surefire in sports.

586380842[/snapback]

I agree, but my point was simply this: If the award that is given to the "best college football athlete" is not an good indcator of professional football success, then I think it is seriously flawed.

I agree, but my point was simply this:  If the award that is given to the "best college football athlete" is not an good indcator of professional football success, then I think it is seriously flawed.

586381217[/snapback]

I disagree. College football requires different skills than the NFL. There are fewer players in the NFL, all who are at the very peak of the football pyramid. In college, you have simpler schemes, more open and gimmicky offenses, and generally worse defenses than the NFL. Thats why you can have an option quarterback like Tommy Frazier or Eric Crouch win the heisman and presumably be the best player in the nation, when their skills don't translate to the NFL at all. They were playing against slower defenses w/ much slower linebackers and a physically weaker defensive backfield. Its the same set of rules (kinda) but its a completely different game. College is college and pro is pro. Great for the guys who can make the jump, but most never had a chance.

Edited for a typo or two ;)

Edited by costanza007

I agree, but my point was simply this:  If the award that is given to the "best college football athlete" is not an good indcator of professional football success, then I think it is seriously flawed.

586381217[/snapback]

While I agree that in an ideal world it would be a good indicator of that, it not always is. The award should be indicative of the best NCAA player (most likely on a good team that they helped get into their stature), not the most NFL-ready players.

Actually Chris Lost the starting job to Rodney Peete 3 years ago before Delhomme Joined the panthers. Then He became a 3rd stringer when Delhomme joined and became first after the comeback performance against Jacksonville..(delhomme became first not Wienke). and now hes back to 2nd after peete's retirement. Seriously tho WHY would any team pick up a 29 year old Rookie Heisman Winner when he's only got 6 at most years and 4 are done with already.

i agree. he's just another heisman choker from another overhyped team who got to play in the championship game because they play a cupcake schedule. you'd really think that the HEISMAN WINNER would at least lead his team to a field goal in that big game, right?