iTunes reopening itself.

Question

when i close itunes occasionally it randomly opens itself again, does anyone know why...and how i can stop this from happening?

12 answers to this question

can you be slightly more specific? windows or mac? got an ipod attached? if mac, are you closing the window (red X button) or quitting itunes (cmd>q or itunes>quit) from the menu bar?

happens to me rarely as well. you close itunes, and it reopens. windows, no ipod, it just, reopens.

True Wickedkitten. There are apps out there that automagically opens iTunes after it's been closed. Some 3rd party apps. Look around in your startup items or something. Maybe go through that Applications folder. Maybe if you use Adium there's a script that will open iTunes. I've had that happened to me once or twice.

I had that problem a few weeks ago (no iPod attached), I wanted to post it here but after a restart it just stopped. I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.2 and iTunes 4.9. :blink:

Just to make sure: I don't have any 3rd party applications installed that acces iTunes.

hmm if you're on windows it is due to the stardock objectdock. i had it in my windows box for a while and realised that if i closed it itunes would not reopen.

586375218[/snapback]

Ehm this problem is about iTunes reopening itself automatically for no apparent reason. Not about iTunes that can't be reopened after quitting it. :/

could it be msn messenger, because of that music plugin thing....cos i have no 3rd party apps. and its windows without ipod attached, though it does do it with my ipod attached also.

It does this to me sometimes too. I have had iScrobbler in iTunes for months now and this problem has only been about a month old. I do think its the msn messenger interfering with it (I still find it weird how it natively supported iTunes in the first place).

Happens to me also, and it's ****in me off.

I don't think it's the "Now Playing" plugin from Windows Live Messenger, cuz I always remove/disable the plugin (psmsong.dll), seeing is that Winamp doesn't require it and I still have the problem with iTunes reopening.

Oh right, I forgot that iTunes doesn't even use the plugin from Windows Live Messenger (psmsong.dll) just like Winamp doesn't use it also. Windows Media Player uses it.

I know, cuz as I said, I usually have the file disabled, and if it is enabled, I have it changed so that WMP also shows "artist - song" instead of the other way around, same as Winamp, and iTunes displays it still like "song - artist". But it's probably the hooking function of iTunes which is causing the problem though. I still haven\t found anything on how to swap nowplaying artist and title with iTunes yet, or even disable the hook altogether. I dont use it for playing music, so I would rather not have that feature.

Edited by LUTZIFER