Advertising in games

Would you agree to have real product advertising in games for cheap retail price for nex-gen consle games?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you agree to have real product advertising in games for cheap retail price for nex-gen consle games?

• Yes
    • No

so-long as it stays some-what unobtrusive, no big un-passable cinematics, there are already enough of those stupid things.

It would have to be appropriate to the game too, I dont want logo's and crap all over my World-War II shooter i.e. clothing tags etc., because they just wouldn't have been there.

I also wouldn't want it to take away from/ take the place of some of the funny in-game 'advertising' the designers make up for particular games.

On menus and stuff

or similar to ads in football games or like how Redbull is always shown throughout Wipeout 2029

586405190[/snapback]

I'm with you on that one!

I could take it but as long as its not every where like playing a game were gap wasn't wround yet and there it is.

It really depends how its done.

I'd much rather play a game with real life locations, cars, shops, weapons etc than made up versions. It can really improve the realism and immersion of a game if done properly but if its over the top its just going to get annoying.

For example if in the next GTA I can go buy clothes at Gap (though I cant think why I would want to) instead of at Zip then that would be good fun. A mission where a big huge Perrier truck over turns spilling refreshing bottles of fizzy water all over a road in slow motion ala James Bond then it can be annoying.

It could be a nice way to drag us into the game world if used properly or it could be a disgusting way for the richest games companies to make even more money out of an already abused market. Cough EA cough.

[edit]

I voted no in the pole as I dont think that Ads should be used to subsidize game production. A game should be made for sales based on a high quality gaming experience, not as a PR exercise.

[/edit]

I fear that it is a slippery slope. But I wouldn't mind them if they were able to drop downt he price of games a tad. And as long as they don't interrupt the game where na ad plays then you can continue. Its almost like at the beginning of splinter cell:CT when it plays that long ass intro before you can get to the menu. Its just annoying to have to wait based on someone elses opinion. But I could see that happening. Imagine the $$ in 5 seconds of paid advertising at the beginning of a game.

its not bad. i know in burnout they have them on the billboards and stuff. but thats nothing. just makes the game more realistic. BUT, if i bought a game like swat 4 which i read somewhere and saw screenshots where they actually had banner ads on the walls in like offices and stuff. i would return the game in no time.

has anyone ever played The Getaway 2...full of advertising on buses n stuff while driving around...dont mind it though gives the city life i suppose? :blush: