'Blank' car stereo?

I'm not really sure how to describe this, but I would like to find a head unit which has just a power button, volume up and down buttons, and some aux ports on the back.

My plan is to connect a portable mp3 player up and I have seen the units you can get with aux on the front, or even usb ports - they are pretty cool but taking the detachable front away along with the mp3 player seems like a bit of a chore to me.

Anyone heard of anything like this or am I hopelessly out of luck?

just get one that detatches, detatch it, and put it under your seat or something..

eventually, you will just leave it in your car, plugged in/connected.

dont be such a worry wort. i doubt you're planning on buying something so nice its worth the effort of hiding it so much and such.

Just get a head unit w/ a hard drive in it. Then you don't have to worry about taking your MP3 player with you. Just take the face and you will be all set. I doubt you will have any luck finding a plain faced head unit. All those useless lights and "features" are what sell a lot of head units.

• 2 weeks later...
Some sony headunits flip the face over to just a blank back.

You don't have to take the face off, the unit just turns it round.

586450382[/snapback]

i had one of the sony headunits that would flip out to a black out... but as you cant take the face with you it got nicked... balls

they dont really make anything like that, but what i would do is get a cheaper head unit with aux input support so that way you still have an amp and at least a radio. look, if someone is going to steal your stereo, then they are going to steal it no matter what kind of head unit you have. my old astro van had a tapedeck and thats it in the head unit and someone stole it... it was just a stock head unit and someone stole it... nothing you can do.

that being said, i have an alpine headunit with the aux input cable and i use my archos gmini 400 with it every day and it has never let me down and it has never been stolen, even though i leave the face plate on all the time.