Windows XP Corperate Edition

my friend just gave me a copy of Windows XP Corperate edition, and i installed it on one of my PCs and i wanted to know if its safe to validate(or if it will even ask you) because corp. edition doesnt have a key...

validate on the windows update site? sure, go ahead. as it says: no data is collected that can be used to identify you, or contact you. if they do, then you can sue them and win. :yes:

umm well to tell u the truth, its my friend that is asking, and he said that there was no product key, it never asked him for it when he formated and installed...

The version you're installing does have a key but some illegal copies of Windows circulating have the product-key screens automated in the msbatch.inf file on the CD. Either way, I guarantee you your version is illegal.

It is called Windows XP Professional with Volume Licensing and is only legal if you are installing it on a computer whose primary function is for support of the owner of the volume licesning key (universities, companies, organzations, etc...).

so any suggestions?

586449836[/snapback]

Yeah buy yourself a LEGAL copy of the OS your wanting to run.. Or tell your friend to ;)

my friend just gave me a copy of Windows XP Corperate edition, and i installed it on one of my PCs and i wanted to know if its safe to validate(or if it will even ask you) because corp. edition doesnt have a key...

586449759[/snapback]

wow, go buy xp instead of coming here for support with your downloaded version of xp. That is all. reported.

It's possible it doesn't have a key. I've got a version of Windows 98 and XP that don't ask for a key during installation. I don't use them but I own them and know that there are versions you don't need a key for.

Before anyone says anything NO they're NOT unattended installations

The fact is, such an edition of Windows XP does not exist, the correct name is Devils Copy. It is an Volume License copy that got out of a company.

The fact is, such an edition of Windows XP does not exist, the correct name is Devils Copy. It is an Volume License copy that got out of a company.

586449890[/snapback]

:yes: :yes:

586449890[/snapback]

Indeed, schools don't user a corporate version either. They use individual keys for each xp installing but allow only one activation. This means you cannot activate after a reformat without consulting your college. This is the plan in place at my university through the msdnaa.