Neowin's Official UEFA Champions League 2005/06

Who do you think will triumph this time?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will triumph this time?

• Chelsea
    • Arsenal
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Milan
    • Juventus
    • Internazionale
    • Barcelona
    • Real Madrid
    • Other

Robert has gone to Benfica, looks like he will be playing against Liverpool!

But will we get Simao?!?!?

No, you won't get Sim?o. He's not for sale, and I'm double-quoting him and our president.:DD

No, you won't get Sim?o. He's not for sale, and I'm double-quoting him and our president.:DD

Even though you accepted a bid from us in August. Simao himself has said he wants to come to Liverpool. I highly doubt Liverpool will sign him now anyway, so dont worry.

Liverpool seem to be making a central defender a priority, as we dont really have any cover for Carra and Hyypia. Daniel Agger and Fabrico Colloccini are just a few names that have been mentioned. We have also been linked with Dani Alves today and have apparently had a bid rejected (great player, he can play on the wing or at full back).

That is because it was one of the greatest football games of all time.

That final was awesome. Thats coming from a Arsenal fan. In the pub were i was at. I was one of the only people that had a feeling that knew that Liverpool were going to come back. I won a tenner from that.

Arsenal to beat Real Madrid 7-0!

Laurent Robert

He used to play for Newcastle but fell out with Sourness and went to Portsmouth on loan, now Benfica have taken over his loan and will be likely to sign him permanately at the end of the season.

He is a left winger, a good one as well, but he doesnt have a good attitute to go with it.

k

Benfica did not take over the loan deal. Benfica signed him fully.

He's good but too inconsistant... When he's impressive he's impressive... when he's crap he's impressivly crap!

Barcalona will take this year's i think... their team is awesome.

Robert has gone to Benfica, looks like he will be playing against Liverpool!

But will we get Simao?!?!?

Lauren Robert can't play against Liverpool as he wasn't declared as a squad member of Benfica prior to start of the champions league.

• 1 month later...

YEAH! Finally it is back! Can someone pin this back now?

PM a moderator, not sure if they will though. The thread was popular but the three month break didnt help it ;).

Some brilliant matches coming up though:

Liverpool V Benfica

Chelsea V Barca

Arsenal V Real Madrid

AC Milan V FC Bayern

Yummy :D

I CANT WAIT :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Round Of 16 1st Leg Results

Bayern Munich 1 - 1 Milan AC

A first half goal from Michael Ballack from just outside the area sent the germans 1-0 in at half time, but an Andrei Shevchenko penalty in the 58th minute earned last years runners up a valuable draw in the Allianz Arena.

Benfica 1 - 0 Liverpool

A late winner from Luisao gives the home side a 1-0 victory over the european champions in the Stadium Of Light, the goal coming from a Petit free kick which Luisao met with the header.

PSV Eindhoven 0 - 1 Lyon

A long range free kick from Juninho in the 65th minute was enough to see the french champions earn an away win in Holland, the free kick really should have been dealt with better by Gomes in the PSV goal. Lyon's Sidney Govou was sent off after receiving two yellow cards.

Real Madrid 0 - 1 Arsenal

Thierry Henry was the man again as his 47th minute goal meant Arsenal came away from the Santiago Bernabeu with a deserved and priceless 1-0 lead. Real Madrid really have it all to do now in the second leg at Highbury. Arsenal are the first english team to ever win at the Bernabeu

Edited by scofo76

Whee go Arsenal!

They completely outplayed Real Madrid yesterday. IMO Arsenal did not deserve the 1-0 win. The should have won by at least 3 goals! But poor finishing let them down.

One moment of magic from Henry was enough, he shrugged off 4 challenges from Real defenders and finished deftly and cooly. Real's defense was in shambles, and I guarantee if they were playing against the Arsenal team of 2 seasons ago, they would've been beaten by at elast 3 goals, but as it is the current Arsenal is a mere shadow of the team that went 49 matches unbeaten.

There was a LOL moment... Reyes was injured, but he was just outside the playing area of the field and not interfering with play, so play was continued. lol but he decided to roll himself onto the field to get the ref to stop the play. I love him.

No worries though, Arsenal should be able to avoid defeat at Highbury in two weeks. I must say however I wouldve liked to see at least 2 goals scored, since the maligned away goals rule apply in UCL.

BUT I'm confident Arsenal can beat Real at home. happy.gif

Ratings for players:

Lehmann - Didnt really have much to do. But was solid all around. 7/10

Eboue - Very promising. No Real player cold get past him. His tackles were perfect. 8/10

Toure - Solid throughout. 7/10

Senderos - Apart from a mistake that gifted Becks a great chance to score, he was defensively solid especially in the air. 7/10

Flamini - Was bad at the start but improved later on. 6/10

Hleb - Average is the best word for his performace. 6/10

Fabregas - Very good indeed. Had great vision and skills. Possibly best passer of the night of both teams. 8/10

Silva - Was good defensively. Nothing much else. 6/10

Reyes - Started badly as well but gradually got into the game with runs up the flank. Won many freekicks. Made me LOL when he rolled back onto the field. 7/10

Ljungberg - Surging runs. Always a threat to the Real defense. 7/10

Henry - His goal is enough to warrant a 7/10. Created brilliant chances for Reyes and Ljungberg in the opening 10 mins. Missed a close range header. 8/10

Round Of 16 1st Leg Results

Ajax 2 - 2 Internazionale

An amazing game in the Amsterdam Arena saw Ajax and Internazionale fight out a 2-2 draw. Klaas Jan Huntelaar put the home side ahead on his champions league debut, and Rosales scored a second for Ajax as the home side made a blistering opening 20 minutes. But Inter fought back in the second half and goals from Stankovic and Julio Cruz leaves Ajax with a tough job ahead in the San Siro, the second leg of this game will be in three weeks time.

Chelsea 1 - 2 FC Barcelona

In the big match at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea were down to ten men in the first half after Asier Del Horno was sent off after a clash with Lionel Messi, but the home side took the lead after Motta sliced the ball into his own net on the hour mark, but a John Terry own goal and a winner from Samuel Eto'o puts the Catalan side in the driving seat for the match at the Nou Camp in a couple of weeks time.

Rangers 2 - 2 Villarreal

Tonight at Ibrox, Rangers managed a 2-2 draw against Villarreal, Juan Riquelme putting the spanish side ahead from the penalty spot after Dado Prso's handball, Peter Lovenkrands getting an amazing equaliser for Rangers midway through the first half. Diego Forlan controversially put the visitors back in front just before half time, but an own goal from Bolivian internationalist Pena in the second half earned the home side a 2-2 draw, but 2 away goals for Villarreal puts the spaniards in the driving seat in this tie.

Werder Bremen 3 - 2 Juventus

Werder Bremen managed a vital win against Serie A league leaders Juventus in the Weserstadion, Schulz giving the home side a 1-0 half time lead, but in an incredible last 17 minutes of the game, Pavel Nedved and David Trezeguet gave Juventus a 2-1 lead, but two late goals from Borowski and Johann Micoud in injury time gave the German side a precious lead going to Turin in a couple of weeks time.

Chelsea return leg is next Tuesday week, not two weeks time.

It's the 7th of March, which is 13 days time, a day short of two weeks. Sorry for not being exact.. prick...

For the benefit of anyone else who wants to nitpick, here's the dates of the second leg matches:

7th March:

Barcelona v Chelsea

Juventus v Werder Bremen

Villarreal v Rangers

8th March:

Arsenal v Real Madrid

Liverpool v Benfica

Lyon v PSV Eindhoven

Milan AC v Bayern Munich

14th March:

Internazionale v Ajax