Neowin's Official UEFA Champions League 2005/06

Who do you think will triumph this time?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will triumph this time?

• Chelsea
    • Arsenal
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Milan
    • Juventus
    • Internazionale
    • Barcelona
    • Real Madrid
    • Other

shame, I'd love to have seen Arsenal win it. I don't think it went to the best team on the night, I honestly think they were 50-50 especially considering Arsenal went down to 10 men so early. ho hum, well done barca i guess.

Yeah, I'd have prefered a UK team to have won, but it is always hard when you are a man down.

Boring match.

Bad ref, it's one rule at one point and then it differnt at another.

Barca was lucky, and it should of been a 1-1 draw

I've seen better matches from reserve teams!

What are your views on the sending off? I think it should have been a goal and a yellow card, didn't like the ref at all..

Great game for neutrals though, a real shame for Arsenal.

it must be delayed... anyways the reffing was horrible.

That disallowed barcelona goal IMO should have counted anyways, so to say it should have been 1-1 is subjective.

What are your views on the sending off? I think it should have been a goal and a yellow card, didn't like the ref at all..

either way really, would have been good for the game but a difficult start for Arsenal. The ref followed it by the book though.

Good view with only one flaw:

It can't be a yellow card. Impossible. If the last defender, in this case a goalie, commits a foul over a player who is going towards a goal, it is a red card automatically.

I think it should have been just a goal following an advantage. People can argue either way and say that the ref wasn't honest, but he also wasn't honest when Arsenal scored following a "foul". That definitely wasn't a foul.

Yay Bar?a !!!!!

Im happy Bar?a won, but that was how a **** referee destroy the destiny of a match with stupid decisions.

And i think Arsenal still did a great match.

Congrats Barcelona.

Good view with only one flaw:

It can't be a yellow card. Impossible. If the last defender, in this case a goalie, commits a foul over a player who is going towards a goal, it is a red card automatically.

I think it should have been just a goal following an advantage. People can argue either way and say that the ref wasn't honest, but he also wasn't honest when Arsenal scored following a "foul". That definitely wasn't a foul.

Well, he didn't actually prevent Barca from scoring as the other player put the ball in so Lehman could have been booked for a normal foul, which would have punished him and still rewarded Barca with a goal.

Doesn't matter either way, it's a flaw in referees, they can't get it right everytime!

Well done barca, Arsenal were never going to hang on with one goal unfortunately :(

Interesting to hear Henry at the final whistle he wasnt happy with the Barca players, not to mention the ref. I don't think he'll go to Barca now.

@Doom127 Brazil should still win the WC (Although i reckon we could really really push them close in a match if owen is at 100% and with rooner coming off the bemch) they have Ronaldinho, even if he was quiet tonight its obvious he will shine in Germany, and strength all over the pitch, the only real weakness is the defence like you said at RB with Cafu and Dida in goal. I think Cicinho would perform well but he looks unl;ikely to start, they should still win though, they will have a bit too much for the other teams i reckon.

P.S. Reading to win the Champions league in 07/08 :p ;P

Well, he didn't actually prevent Barca from scoring as the other player put the ball in so Lehman could have been booked for a normal foul, which would have punished him and still rewarded Barca with a goal.

You just don't get it. It can't be a foul and a goal in the same time. A goal means re-starting the game and a foul means a free kick. It can't be a goal and a free kick. If he books him, he has to have a reason and something to follow.

It was either going to be a goal or a red card, no other outcome or yellow/red cards could have come out of that. Lehman fouled as a last defensive player and that is automatically a red card.

You just don't get it. It can't be a foul and a goal in the same time. A goal means re-starting the game and a foul means a free kick. It can't be a goal and a free kick. If he books him, he has to have a reason and something to follow.

Err its quite common if a foul is commited fo the ref to play advantage and then book a player when the ball goes out of play next, i dont see why this cannot be applied to a goal situation here, theres a clear advantage, and its not "\denial of a clear goal scoring oppourtunity" (there is no 'last man' rule its called denial of a clear goal scoring oppourtunity so obviously cant apply here) as Giuly goes on to score but Lehman still committed a foul but if that had been in the box and it had been crowded its a pen and a booking. a foul but not denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity. imho thats exactly what should have happened here. Book Lehman for the foul, award the goal and restart from the Center.

It was either going to be a goal or a red card, no other outcome or yellow/red cards could have come out of that. Lehman fouled as a last defensive player and that is automatically a red card.

Yes it can. Advantage could have been played to allow Barcelona to still score, which would have made sense, then the ref could have gone back to Lehman and booked him for a foul, and it is only a standard foul as it didn't prevent a goal, it just stopped a player in his tracks, so is worthy of a yellow.

This happens regularly in other areas of the pitch, when a referee goes back and books somebody for a foul after playing advantage, this sort of situation with a last man and another scoring just does not occur often.

The ref was poor throughout I feel.

Edit: I agree with Fanatical, about from the Reading FC part!

Edited by Jambon

Barcelona totally deserved to win 2night, they were excellent at the end and completely domainted Arsenal by pegging them back into there own half for much of the game.

Arsenals goal should have never stood at all since it wasnt even a foul! The red card should have stood aswell since the goalkeeper was the last defender, they should have allowed the goal to play advantage really.

Well justice was done anyhow, henry was very good but 10men Arsenal just couldnt overcome the quality of what Barcelona is.

Well Done Barca!!

Barcelona totally deserved to win 2night, they were excellent at the end and completely domainted Arsenal by pegging them back into there own half for much of the game.

Arsenals goal should have never stood at all since it wasnt even a foul! The red card should have stood aswell since the goalkeeper was the last defender, they should have allowed the goal to play advantage really.

Well justice was done anyhow, henry was very good but 10men Arsenal just couldnt overcome the quality of what Barcelona is.

Well Done Barca!!

Are you a tottenham fan? lol j/k

Are you a tottenham fan? lol j/k

LOL no Im a Liverpool Supporter actually. I do not hate arsenal in anyway, I just feel that the best team won.

Im glad they are in the CL next year instead of Tottenham

And before someone flames me for last years CL, i feel that liverpool didnt really didnt deserve to win after the 1st half but the 2nd was a different story and we were really lucky to be winners but the fact is we were!

It was poor refereeing all night, it should have been a goal and a sending off at the begininng (if the player was onside), the foul that led to the Arsenal goal was never a foul, Henry's yellow card decision was ridiculous as he got the ball cleanly. You couldnt really say who deserved to win when Arsenal were reduced to 10 men, but in their defence I think they held the ball really well for the 50/60mins that they kept a clean sheet. Good game though, just a shame it was over so quickly.

Totally agree about the foul and subsequent free kick which led to Arsenal's opening goal.. talk about double standards! Henry blasting the refs decisions, yet when such a blatant dive is given as a free kick, I didn't see him pipe up then!

I wanted Arsenal to win obviously but.. sheesh!

i don't know anything about the teams, but i really enjoyed the game (remember i'm from the states :p)

it was broadcast on espn, and everyone in my office was watching. the refs did seem to be pretty inconsistent throughout the match.