Neowin's Official UEFA Champions League 2005/06

Who do you think will triumph this time?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will triumph this time?

• Chelsea
    • Arsenal
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Milan
    • Juventus
    • Internazionale
    • Barcelona
    • Real Madrid
    • Other

Sh*t liverpool vs chealsea omg they  re gone  :cry:

586560657[/snapback]

Should be a great game, this time it's a group game and not a straight knockout like last season, but Chelsea will be out for revenge big time after being knocked out by Liverpool in the 2004/05 tournament. Match of the week imo :)

Yes Bayern are looking good this season despite their 2-0 defeat away to Hamburg today, but they still remain top with 6 wins out of 7 in the Bundesliga. But they have every chance of going far in the Champions League this season, not good enough to win it outright though imo, but then at this stage last season i don't think the majority of people thought Liverpool would win it, or Porto the season before, so ya never know! :)

Results for Tuesday 27th September

A Bayern Munich 1 - 0 Club Brugge

A Juventus 3 - 0 Rapid Vienna

B Ajax 1 - 2 Arsenal

B FC Thun 1 - 0 Sparta Prague

C Panathinaikos 2 - 1 Werder Bremen

C Barcelona 4 - 1 Udinese

D Lille 0 - 0 Villarreal

D Manchester United 2 - 1 Benfica

In Group A tonight goals from David Trezeguet, Adrian Mutu and Zlatan Imbrahimovic sealed an easy 3-0 victory for Juventus while Bayern Munich failed to impress in a 1-0 victory over Club Brugge. FC Thun got their first ever Champions League victory at home to Sparta Prague in Group B, while in the same group Arsenal got an away victory in Amsterdam against Ajax, Freddie Ljunberg amongst the scorers there.

In Group C Werder Bremen suffered another defeat in this competition, this time away to Panathinaikos in Greece, and also in Group C world player of the year Ronaldinho hit a hat-trick for Barcelona in a 4-1 rout over Udinese at the Nou Camp. Finally Group D saw Manchester United get their first victory of this year's group stage, against Benfica. Ruud Van Nistelrooy getting the winner in a 2-1 win, while Lille and Villarreal fought out a boring 0-0 draw.

Player of the night: Ronaldinho for that hat-trick, the first goal was certainly special imo :)

Edited by scofo76

Ronaldinho was undoubtedly the class act of the night. That first goal was a marvel. I wish this match had been telecast instead of Arsenal vs. Ajax.

Alson, congratulations to Ruud Van Nistelrooy for maintaining his scoring record in the Champions League. 43 goals in 50 games!!

Ronaldinho was undoubtedly the class act of the night. That first goal was a marvel. I wish this match had been telecast instead of Arsenal vs. Ajax.

Alson, congratulations to Ruud Van Nistelrooy for maintaining his scoring record in the Champions League. 43 goals in 50 games!!

586587659[/snapback]

Yes congrats to Van Nistelrooy indeed! For a man who gets a lot of stick for missing lots of chances in the premiership, he has once again proved he is the man in the Champions League. One of the best goalscoring records in the tournament all time :)

And also congrats to Juventus striker Alessandro Del Piero and Club Brugge Striker Gert Verheyen who both made their 100th appearance in European club competition tonight :)

Edited by scofo76

Results for Wednesday 28th September

E Fenerbache 3 - 0 PSV Eindhoven

E Schalke 04 2 - 2 Milan AC

F Real Madrid 2 - 1 Olympiakos

F Rosenborg 0 - 1 Lyon

G Anderlecht 0 - 1 Real Betis

G Liverpool 0 - 0 Chelsea

H Internazionale 1 - 0 Rangers

H FC Porto 2 - 3 Artmedia Bratislava

Another busy night of Champions League action saw turkish side Fenerbahce hit three past PSV Eindhoven in Group E with two goals from Alex, and Jan Venegoor Of Hesselink getting sent off for the Dutch side. Also in the same group Schalke 04 came from behind twice to earn a draw against Milan AC, Clarence Seedorf scoring for the Italians after just 21.7 seconds from the start and Larsen equalising for the Germans two minutes later in an exciting match at the Gelsenkirchen. Shevchenko also amongst the scorers in that match.

In Group F Raul Gonazalez became the first player to hit 50 goals in this competition as Real Madrid got a win against Olympiakos at the Bernabeu Stadium, Sergio Ramos sent off for the home side in that match, and in the other match in this group Lyon continued with their winning ways with a well earned 1-0 away at Rosenborg, Cris with the goal there.

In Group G Real Betis got their first victory of this season's competition with a 1-0 in Belgium against Anderlecht, while Liverpool and Chelsea fought out a goalless draw at Anfield.

Finally in Group H Internazionale defeated Rangers 1-0 in an empty San Siro stadium, Claudio Pizarro getting the winner there, Julio Cruz missed a penalty for Inter in that match too, while Artmedia Bratislava came from 2-0 down to beat 2004 european champions Porto 3-2 in Porto, Petras, Kozak and Borbely scoring for the away side.

Player of the night: Raul Gonzalez of Real Madrid for getting to the magical 50 goal mark first :)

I was at work so I missed the action (for me here in the States would have been the Chelsea-Liverpool showdown). Sounds like a good day of football. Still concerned about Milan's defense not being as stingy as I had grown accustomed to. Blowing a one goal lead? TWICE? It's a bit discomforting.

I was at work so I missed the action (for me here in the States would have been the Chelsea-Liverpool showdown). Sounds like a good day of football. Still concerned about Milan's defense not being as stingy as I had grown accustomed to. Blowing a one goal lead? TWICE? It's a bit discomforting.

586592350[/snapback]

Yes the talk by the experts after the game was of the Milan defence, in particular the AGE of the defence. The 2nd Schalke goal imo was completely misread by Nelson Dida in the Milan goal, it seems he thought the shot (a long range effort from 35 yards) was going well past the post. But i think you're right to be concerned, Schalke created too many clear cut chances, not good from a Milan point of view. In an attacking sense they still look hot though.

Liverpool should of had a penalty, Gallas punched a goalbound Carra header. Other than that we were more than match for Chelsea.

586593862[/snapback]

They should have gotten 3 penalties, Chelsea went to Anfield to play for a point, how that could haunt them in the coming phases.

Chelsea play boring football. It's pretty much fact now in the football world.

The most exciting teams in the Premiership have to be Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Newcastle to an extent. As they actually go out to win every game. And to win it in style.

Chelsea play boring football. It's pretty much fact now in the football world.

The most exciting teams in the Premiership have to be Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Newcastle to an extent. As they actually go out to win every game. And to win it in style.

586595380[/snapback]

But the fact is, Chelsea DO win every game, unlike Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd :

How the 4 teams are doing in the Premiership at the moment:

Chelsea -: Played 7, Won 7, Drawn , Lost , Scored 14, Conceded 1

Man Utd -: Played 6, Won 3, Drawn 2, Lost 1, Scored 7, Conceded 3

Arsenal -: Played 6, Won 3, Drawn 1, Lost 2, Scored 9, Conceded 4

Liverpool-: Played 5, Won 1, Drawn 4, Lost , Scored 3, Conceded 2

So Chelsea don't actually go out to win every game? I think not...

Chelsea boring? I think not... they are ahead on all the stats, and they don't lie. Like they're all saying now, everyone's jealous of their success. Still a long way to go, but Chelsea have been fantastic up to now.

Liverpool should of had a penalty, Gallas punched a goalbound Carra header. Other than that we were more than match for Chelsea.

586593862[/snapback]

say what!!!...DAM!!

unfortunately there has been no coverage of Uefa on sbs as they r showing under 17's world cup so i cant comment....but hearing this grinds my gears!!!

But the fact is, Chelsea DO win every game, unlike Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd :

How the 4 teams are doing in the Premiership at the moment:

Chelsea -: Played 7, Won 7, Drawn , Lost , Scored 14, Conceded 1

Man Utd -: Played 6, Won 3, Drawn 2, Lost 1, Scored 7, Conceded 3

Arsenal -: Played 6, Won 3, Drawn 1, Lost 2, Scored 9, Conceded 4

Liverpool-: Played 5, Won 1, Drawn 4, Lost , Scored 3, Conceded 2

So Chelsea don't actually go out to win every game? I think not...

Chelsea boring? I think not... they are ahead on all the stats, and they don't lie. Like they're all saying now, everyone's jealous of their success. Still a long way to go, but Chelsea have been fantastic up to now.

586596277[/snapback]

Hardly jealous, they are boring in their football, and nothing you said there said they played exciting football. Yes, they score, but we all love that long ball over the top, don't we?