Invisable FIREWALL!

helllo

i am working on a windows xp machine SP2. and i have a problem where i have a firewall and i cant find it. i have uninstalled norton etc etc and all my other security programs, and disabled windows firewall and still when i do the website checks it still says im behind a firewall.

I am using a speedtouch 580 router and i have also disabled the firewall on that in the router software and on DOS.

i am trying to use ports 6800-6999 for world of warcraft because at the moment patches download at 2KBPS!!!!! and ive got a 2mb AOL connection lol.

can anyone think where my hidden firewall is?

thankyou in advance for anyones help

That sounds like you are actually behind a NAT, not a firewall.

What you need to do is find your computer's IP address (run ipconfig in a command prompt) and then from in your speedtouch router's config pages, turn on port forwarding for those ports to your computer's address.

Welcome to Neowin BTW :)

It's not really a hidden firewall but most likely NAT which is how your router works and distributes an IP to your computers.

NAT is not a firewall but it will keep computers from being able to contact your computer without you initiating the connection.

What you'll need to do is look in your firewall settings for port forwarding or virtual servers and add that range of ports(6800-6999) and direct it to the computer you're playing the game on.

So is what it'd look like is something like this:

Ports                                     TCP/UDP                                                                                     IP
6800-6999                              Both(or TCP or UDP if you know specifically)                             192.168.1.(whatever your computers IP is)

Something like that.

Edit: NVM the code things sucks and messes up the format, follow Simons advice to get your local IP, and then you'll have to drudge through your routers config to open the ports.

hi ya

thanks for the warm welcome, WOW this forum is quick hehe

i have been on my firewall settings and i have NAPT which i have to put in ports individual but can only have 50! and that for 1 pc on the network.

It has a setting called MULTI NAT settings and all u do there is have an option to put and inside and outside IP?

Its a speedtouch 580 router

could you maybe provide a bit more information

THANKS for all your help

Ouch that sucks it doesn't allow you to use a range and requires you to make a rule for each port.

According to the blizzard website the most important ports to have forwarded are:

TCP 3724 and 6112

So try and see if just forwarding those two ports aleviates the issue any. In the meantime I'll try and get a copy of your manual or setup guide to see if there's a way around your hard limit of 50 ports forwarded limit in the case that just forwarding those two ports doesn't work.

hi ya

thanks for the warm welcome, WOW this forum is quick hehe

i have been on my firewall settings and i have NAPT which i have to put in ports individual but can only have 50! and that for 1 pc on the network.

It has a setting called MULTI NAT settings and all u do there is have an option to put and inside and outside IP?

Its a speedtouch 580 router

could you maybe provide a bit more information

THANKS for all your help

586498743[/snapback]

No No No - you do not want to setup NAT.. You want to forward the ports to the machine.. Look in your manual under Chapter 4.5.2 Game and Application Sharing.. They have a huge list of games there already - yours might be there, you just have to point it to your machine..

I love this "could you maybe provide a bit more information " What like the detailed step by step instructions that are included in the manual? ;)

Here is the link to the manual -- http://www.speedtouch.com/pdf/Manuals/R531...0_UserGuide.pdf

Actually Budman, from the information he gave us I believe he has the rel 1 of the router which does not have the Game and Application Sharing section section available. I looked around on thier site for a new firmware to see if it would give the 1 the same features of the 4.x line but couldn't find anything but product manuals.

I think he is stuck trying to forward individual ports for his router.

I will admit though the manual is better laid out than my old SMC's manual.

If you upgrade the firmware on your modem, the new version might have better port forwarding abilities. Otherwise, maybe you can set your computer as the DMZ?

Peace,

Pete Zaria.