[Review] iPod nano

[rant]

Another question why did you spend your money on a iPod period? Personally Ive heard a 4G, a mini, and a color and they all sound like crap (using Sony headphones)

Another thing.......this review is (im sorry) very crappy; you talk about the iPod but not its sound quality or how much accually its battery lasts.

A (better) alternative: iRiver U10 (A 6GB/10GB version is coming out later)

586550605[/snapback]

I saw the U10 and it's sexy as hell, but 1gb for $250 is more overpriced than the iPod. :p

the look of the player really attracts me, but i still look forward to buy iPod Photo (no more black&whites though :) ) cause i think i need more space. And i just don't have an audio player at all now :unsure:

Oh man... I used to think "what the hell is with everybody and the iPod?? There are tons of other MP3 players out there with more functions for less money!" I was really into the large capacity 20GB players, but then the iPod sort of took hold of me because it was really a status symbol and it had the best interface with the click wheel out of any other product... then the Nano came out and WOW it was small, color screen, could hang around your neck and was so stylish I just had to have it :p Even if I have 30-40 Gigs of music, I don't think it would be practical to take it all with me because it would take too long to sift through the artists to find what I wanted, and I don't listen to near all of it anyways.

So I just bought it... on eBay though because I have my money in PayPal it's like my bank account because I work out of it, but hey I can't wait for it to come. I was just wondering for some of you with experience, what you think the sound quality is like, and whether the Apple earbuds that come with it are worth using? I was thinking about the lanyard headphones they look really nice but for 40 bucks it's quite an expense...

Also, I need some type of protection and was wondering what everyone uses... I was thinking the Nano Tube from Apple, as it seems they are good quality and has protection for the click wheel and has a clear color so I can show off the Nano a bit more, but is it too thick and will it raise up a lot so there would be a large rim around the clickwheel? Hopefully it's thinner in profile... and what other products are worth looking at that wouldn't cover it up too much ?

So ya... I am not gonna get the dock because it's a waste of money to me when I can just use the cable, but I hope this thing lives up to expectations. Thanks for the great review too, some nice pics there it was the first review I read for the Nano !

your in London! Pay a visit to the Apple Store!

586558518[/snapback]

That's what I did when buying my PowerBook. Took a trip to the local Apple store and came home with one (of course if they don't have any in stock ... :pinch: but it's still better to try before ordering online).

uh .. sound quality will more or less be the same as every other iPod, his review was on spot talking about physical appearance..

the u10 does look interesting, but it performs different functions, and costs a bit more form what i remember (its for playing movies? [albeit on a tiny screen] and is no where near as small a form factor which is the main draw for the nano product)

586552649[/snapback]

If the sound quality is the same on this as the other iPods then count me out from jumping onto the bandwagon

I saw the U10 and it's sexy as hell, but 1gb for $250 is more overpriced than the iPod. :p

586553549[/snapback]

When the 6GB/10GB versions come out, they'll problably correct the prices.

very nice review but after seeing the scratched up nano i don't think i'll ever get it :no:

586569931[/snapback]

I've had my Nano for over 3 weeks now and use it almost every day. I do not have a single scratch on it. If you're careful and keep the scratch problem in mind (don't put it in your pocket with keys, coins and stuff), you shouldn't have any trouble......

Barney

getting rid of my ipod, i am sick to the back teeth with them, apple have totally made one ****ty product.

Yea build quality, fine, Sound quality, good do a bit better, buts its a portable player what do i expect, nothing exciting.

BUT...

I have had sony ex-71's, the ipod mini blue the right channel, not under warrenty, so thats ?30 down the pan, i had some panasonic ?30 in-ear headfones before that, it blew the right channel on those.

most of my friends have had the ipod blow up the right channel on there headfones.

im flogging my mini, cant be arsed with it no more, a smartphone plus 1GB mini sd will do me nicely, and a ipod mini Windows media player skin, i cant be arsed messing around with something that blows **** up.

586533776[/snapback]

yeah my right channel has been sounding shaky for the past few months but i havent been able to figure out if its been blown. certain mid's to high's are barely detectable or just not there. hmmm.

Did anyone do some research comparing the life of a flash memory versus a hard drive?

Flash memory has a limit of 7 million of re-write before it gets useless. How about hard drive?

586513924[/snapback]

What does this mean? You can only delete or add tracks to it 7 million times before it conks out, or what?

r there Earbuds, USB Cable, Dock Adapter inside ( like future shop says in online shipping ??? ) ??? http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...10066804&catid=

can i engrave my ipod nano by ordering at reseller  shop ??? ( i cannot shipping online now ... :( )

586583012[/snapback]

Yes if you buy the Nano it comes with the buds, USB cable and dock adapter. Engraving from FutureShop I highly doubt, you'll have to go through the AppleStore to get that.

But ya, I will be getting my Nano soon... it was a very very hard decision between the Nano or the 20GB as I have around 30-35GB of music, but I thought it was smaller (hopefully not TOO small, but I like the lanyard headphones idea), and had better sound according to some sources, is just COOL and it would be easier to manage and find songs on something where I could put 4GB on instead of a larger iPod that i could only put in my pocket and have 20GB of music and have to scroll through a huge list to find what I wanted... if it was 6-10GB that would be even ten times better, but the 4 is all we have.

I think if I get this and like it, I can keep it and get a larger capacity full size iPod in the future, maybe when the 6th Gens come out ;) maybe they will be smaller too, and I will still have a nice little Nano to take around on my neck.

... now i m nervous to buy this stuff , just because of people's complainings of scratch screen display.  Should i buy it ???

586588291[/snapback]

Yes BUY IT!

You don't need to wait, just make sure you get vinyl protection, not the Tubes, but just a thin layer type like a PDA screen protector but for the entire unit.

You can get them on eBay called the StickIt, and it wraps around the entire unit in one piece, with the click wheel exposed and a small round thing for the select button. This will protect the back, front (screen and the entire front), select button, and only cost a couple bucks. Better than the Tube cases I think, unless you like that style better, but I prefer the iPod naked as you can see the back nicely too. This with the lanyard headphones will ensure a non-scratched Nano and style ;)

I'm off to Canada saturday for 3 weeks. Works out ?40 cheaper. I'm just so tempted to buy it. What do you think the warranty policy would be if my screen cracks or it stops workin or sumthin and I have to send it back to apple?

I'm off to Canada saturday for 3 weeks.  Works out ?40 cheaper.  I'm just so tempted to buy it.  What do you think the warranty policy would be if my screen cracks or it stops workin or sumthin and I have to send it back to apple?

586591490[/snapback]

I believe the warrantee should work back in the UK as well, but you could probably Google it or call up Apple and ask for certain. The cost for the Nano in Canada is more than in the US if you take into the consideration the exchange rate and two taxes in Canada, but the screen problem is a very small percentage of people, and some people are even dropping them and then claiming the screen cracked- well that's sort of DUH!

I believe the warrantee should work back in the UK as well, but you could probably Google it or call up Apple and ask for certain. The cost for the Nano in Canada is more than in the US if you take into the consideration the exchange rate and two taxes in Canada, but the screen problem is a very small percentage of people, and some people are even dropping them and then claiming the screen cracked- well that's sort of DUH!

586591915[/snapback]

Cheers, I might be in New York for a few days too. Might pop into the apple store if I am, otherwise I'll just get my cuz to order it from the Canadian apple site.

At the present exchange rate the Canadian nano is only ?4 more expensive than in the US so I'm sure I could cope with that;))

is it worth getting a nano now? are they alrite with the scratches thing.. reason i ask is that i have the money but dont want to buy it knowing im going to have to send it back... so have shops in the UK restocked or anything?

thanks.

is it worth getting a nano now? are they alrite with the scratches thing.. reason i ask is that i have the money but dont want to buy it knowing im going to have to send it back... so have shops in the UK restocked or anything?

thanks.

586626312[/snapback]

They won't be fixing anything because there is no flaw with the Nano. The material is the exact same, only the clear layer is layered thicker which makes it more visible when scratched. I see no reason to get a Nano now as I did. If you want protection (where you can put it in your pocket, handle it with no worries) get the StickIt vinyl protector from eBay. It is just a thin clear screen protector-like covering, but covers the front back and sides including the screen and select button.

If you already have an MP3 player you could probably wait until the 2nd gen of the Nano's come out, as there will maybe be higher capacity 6GB's then or possibly a price drop.