Why is Windows ME unstable?

I would like to know why Windows ME is unstable other than the fact that its not NT kernel. Don't want any flaming or anything, just intelligent answers. Thanks.

I've installed and run ME on occasion (running ME right now) and it has never crashed or locked up on me.

At the end of the install process, the first thing I do is disable System Restore, which I think is the main culprit behind ME's bad reputation.

Also, I go back to Media Player 6.4 or use some 3rd party player. Version 7 of Media Player is pretty crappy.

I use TweakUI and a bunch of Registry Patches to disable the bells and whistles, and eye candy.

It's a fine Operating System, as far as I can tell, although there's getting to be a lot of apps and games that won't run on it. IE6SP2 and the upcoming IE7 will also not run on it.

darkrats

i upgrade to it form 98SE and wthin first 2 days i noticed something was not right. i kept using it for about a week thinking since it is the new windows it is gotta be better, then rolled back to the 98SE. ME crashes and acted wierd all the time (during the same tasks 98 managed fine)

basically its bad programming. guess people who had no trouble were just lucky (maybe hardware?)

but to say it is fine operating system is wrong. 98SE and XP are fine, ME was rushed and buggy.

I've installed and run ME on occasion (running ME right now) and it has never crashed or locked up on me.

At the end of the install process, the first thing I do is disable System Restore, which I think is the main culprit behind ME's bad reputation.

Also, I go back to Media Player 6.4 or use some 3rd party player. Version 7 of Media Player is pretty crappy.

I use TweakUI and a bunch of Registry Patches to disable the bells and whistles, and eye candy.

It's a fine Operating System, as far as I can tell, although there's getting to be a lot of apps and games that won't run on it. IE6SP2 and the upcoming IE7 will also not run on it.

darkrats

586584595[/snapback]

ME had "bells and whistles, and eye candy"? :laugh:

I wish I could tell you how bad ME is, but I never used it from my early days using computers to now. I went from Win95 to Win98 to Win98SE to Win2K to WinXP.

I would like to know myself. I don't think we'll ever find out because there is no logical explanation apart from that it was badly written.

Yes, the 9x kernel is unstable but Windows 98 SE was still more stable than Windows Me was overall. Windows Me also did still have DOS so it's nothing to do with that - they never removed it because they couldn't - they simply hid all the options to boot into it but it was still there underneath.

The weird thing about it is that some people never had any problems with it at all whereas for other people it was completely unusable.

I've had so many problems with it on my computer, but my uncle used it for over a year and it never crashed on him. My brother got it with his laptop, and also that system never crashed.

I never had any problems with it, I used it from when it was released to when XP was released, no problems. I mainly got it for System Restore, that I used 3 times, once it didn't work, and twice it was very helpful, but it's got nothing on the one in XP.

Windows ME was finished, it was just that it was like 98 but looked a little better. Windows ME is not unstable for all, as you can see from the posts. I had it runing vary well on a system for a long time. I mean I would not put it on my system today, but the OS is fine to me. :yes:

Thankfully I only used ME for months, if not shorter due to Windows 2000 being in testing and at the time I was one the lucky ones that had 100% complete hardware support for the NT5.0/2000 betas.

However like many have said, Microsoft basically tried to do something to the 9x core that just couldn't be done anymore, too much old legacy code holding it down really. Thankfully there was another team already working on getting the consumers over to the NT core.

basicaly Me was indeed rushed but because of some nt based stuff that was added to a dos based product as an experiment,also windows me is very picky with hardware(it does not like cheap hardware and does not prefer isa devices)i have it running on an old comp and it runs fine(the pc is 10 years old)but on a few of the systems i have, me would not work well,dos based products tend to die afterawhile wheras nt based oses tend to last along time.

why is windows ME crappy? same reason as all the other DOS based windows's (9x). the DOS itself is good, only the idea of using a non-multiprogrammed kernel in a multirogrammed environment is false. MS never should have released any of the 9x/ME series. smart people were using NT from day 1, and are still using it today, only it is now called 2000 and XP.

• 2 weeks later...

ME was the worst OS i've ever come acrosss. It would crash, lock up and freeze on a daily baisis. I would recieve the BSOD on a regular baisis and i had the worst of luck with it. Maybe it was my computer, but i would never go back to using it.

A lot of bad stuff was said about Windows ME, yet I was like. I dont rember having any problems with it. So for a larth, I went on the net, got a copy of Windows ME (was hard to find) then wiped my hard drive, and put Windows ME on lol.

Well it loads ****ing fast lol, faster then Vista lol, I have installed the drivers for my system. No problems, and the big thing. No crashes, what so ever.

Im not saying go back to Windows ME, when Vista comes out lol. No times have chaged and computer software is for XP and on now. Well there is stuff for Widows 9x, but XP and now Vista is what people are going to be working with.

As for windows start up music, I always like windows ME music. :yes:

I think I will duel boot with XP though. The old style of windows is, well old lol.