Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000

No clue where the camera is, so I'm just going to pilfer some images for now.

022b124128a00b51a8296010.L.jpg

23-109-148-01.JPG

23-109-148-03.JPG

1127241665472gull149.jpg

Box Contents

Keyboard

Driver CD

Originally I couldn't stand ergonomic keyboards, but after being stuck with one for awhile, I couldn't go back. This is the latest addition to the ergonomic keyboard line from Microsoft.

First Impressions

Look: This keyboard looks pretty cool. It has a unique shape, quite different from the previous ergonomic keyboards. It also comes with a removable stand for posture, and the plastic hand rest has been replaced by a soft padded one. Although despite the professional look, this keyboard is labled for novices. The "My Favorites" button smack in the top-center with the star HAS to go. Another visual letdown is that this keyboard still includes the idiot labels (copy/cut/paste/etc printed on the front of the keys). The back/forward labels also seem to be printed a little offcenter to the right.

Keys: This is a significant revision of the original natural keyboard from Microsoft, and most the standard multimedia/extra keys are included along with a few new ones. Just under the spacebar, there's a back & forward button. There's 4 new keys on the top right above the numpad for additional calculation functions. The zoom button in the center is useless, I don't believe it can be remapped either. The stop button has been removed, and the play pause button has been placed in a very hard to reach area, a big step down from the old Multimedia Natural keyboard. The normal layout for "insert/delete/home/end/pgup/pgdown" is finally back. I didn't notice this until the last minute, but the enter key is surpisingly small. You won't notice this during normal use, so it's not really an issue, but it's weird having your N key be significantly larger than your enter key.

Noise / Keypresses: I'm a little disappointed in this area. Although comfortable, it takes more pressure to hit the key than a typical keyboard, however it's nothing significant. The keys are extremely quiet save one - the spacebar, negating the whole benefit of a quiet keyboard. I don't think the spacebar could actually get any worse as far as the noise goes, and produces a rattling/clack sound. The spacebar also takes significantly more pressure to push down than the typical keyboard and sticks, increasing the difficulty to press while typing fast. One improvement is F-Lock key - it will now retain it's previous state, which was a common problem for windows users. My last complaint here will be the custom program keys (1-5) at the top, which press much like the spacebar, unlike their counterparts to the left and right which are smooth and quiet.

Price: Average. Coming in at $55 Newegg. Although a nice keyboard, for this price I'll stick with my old $11 Multimedia Natural.

Conclusion: I have mixed feelings on this one. On one hand, the keyboard feels great, but has some notable problems, namely the spacebar. I'm going to try and pop it off and stick some WD40 on it to help ease the pressure/sticking issues along with some padding for the noise. Beware old ergonomic users - You will have an increased error rate with this keyboard for awhile, the shape changes are significant, but for the better.

Penguin Support: Partial. Minimal tweaking needed to get the multimedia keys working. Custom 1-5 keys, "My Favorites", two of the four new keys above the numpad, & the zoom bar will not return keycodes of any kind. Expecting any hardware documentation support from Microsoft on this issue is just foolish.

+Excellent design shape

+Mostly quiet keys

+Looks cool

+Base included for correct posture

+Solid

+Padded palm rests

+Great location for the back/forward buttons

-The spacebar needs serious work

-No stop button, play/pause in a bad location

-Not all of the extra keys work under Linux

-USB Only

-the N key is bigger than the enter key

Sag's Score:

5.5 / 10

It's the best ergonomic keyboard out, but not worth the price over the $12 Natural Multimedia.

I do not understand why Microsoft put those buttons on the wrist rest. Thanks for the review. This will go on the NO BUY list.

I do not understand why Microsoft put those buttons on the wrist rest.  Thanks for the review.  This will go on the NO BUY list.

586698920[/snapback]

They're actually not all that bad there. This spacebar is killing me though, I can't believe they released a product designed like this.

oh man and it looks so nice. a pity it has such issues.

586699038[/snapback]

I'd take this keyboard over the old Natural Multimedia any day, but for the cost it's just not worth the upgrade. I managed to file down & fix the spacebar issue myself, so my only other real gripe with it is the lack of real use for the zoom scroller. IMO it'd be perfect to use this for play/pause and stop.

I bought 2, 1 for home & 1 for work.

Everyone has there own opinion, I personaly think its the best keyboard out there, (ergonomic range).

I do not understand why Microsoft put those buttons on the wrist rest.  Thanks for the review.  This will go on the NO BUY list.

586698920[/snapback]

Wow, buttons on the handrest? :no:

586700186[/snapback]

Huh? Do you have a third hand in the middle?

The buttons are in the middle between both hands when using the keyboard, so you can easily press them with the thumbs. They look very comfortable, at least a good idea.

Funny... I have this keyboard and I LOVE it! I think it is a great improvement over the Multimedia Natural Keyboard and the Natural Keyboard before it. Personal taste I guess...

Funny... I have this keyboard and I LOVE it!  I think it is a great improvement over the Multimedia Natural Keyboard and the Natural Keyboard before it.  Personal taste I guess...

586700835[/snapback]

I'm extremely picky, and I'll criticize every flaw I find ;)

Doesn't look very natural.

The posture stand is entirely optional, however it's significantly more comfortable to use it due to how it positions your wrists on the padded rest.

When I first saw this keyboard I couldnt see the layout very well but looked like a significant improvement. I was planning to get this keyboard but I might hold off since it has so many issues. I only got a low profile laptop type keyboard because it feels quiet and is SOOOO quiet. I dont want to be listening to music and have the stupid keyboard louder then my music. (late a night when I cant have music up loud I mean)

Any issues with sound besides from the Space Bar???

When I first saw this keyboard I couldnt see the layout very well but looked like a significant improvement. I was planning to get this keyboard but I might hold off since it has so many issues. I only got a low profile laptop type keyboard because it feels quiet and is SOOOO quiet. I dont want to be listening to music and have the stupid keyboard louder then my music. (late a night when I cant have music up loud I mean)

Any issues with sound besides from the Space Bar???

586701678[/snapback]

It's the only one. The rest of the keys have a very smooth quiet feel to them.

You can fix it yourself as well if you want, which in my opinion, makes this keyboard worthwhile.

Doesn't look very natural.

untitled4hc.jpg

586700831[/snapback]

Hmm your hands are supposed to be on the rest, not coming from the top. The position you drawed is not comfortable in any keyboard :p

Hmm your hands are supposed to be on the rest, not coming from the top. The position you drawed is not comfortable in any keyboard :p

586705863[/snapback]

Actually, according to most leading keyboard manufacturers, you aren't supposed to use the rest while your typing. Hence the name "rest".

Who said anything about my couch? I certainly don't use my current bluetooth set on my couch. Much. I just don't like cords. It would be pointless to have 2 keyboards hooked up just so I could have one wireless and one ergonomic.

I'm still waiting for a bluetooth version  :blink:

586707016[/snapback]

Just out of curiosity. Why would you use an ergonomical keyboard in your couch? For that regular keyboards sure must be better suited since you don't rest your hands properly in your couch.

Regarding the hand position, on a normal keyboard you're *supposed* to never touch the rests, however the way this is designed, you use them all the time while still holding that "above the keyboard" position, which is really quite nice.

Huh? Do you have a third hand in the middle?

The buttons are in the middle between both hands when using the keyboard, so you can easily press them with the thumbs. They look very comfortable, at least a good idea.

586700808[/snapback]

I just have gotten too used to the buttons on the top that I do not need some buttons on the rest. When pressing a media button I am not typing anyway.