ac3 vs. dts

whats the difference between ac3 5.1 and dts 5.1. im trying to backup a dvd of mine but idk which audio track to use

ac3 - 372 mb

dts - 631 mb

both 5.1

DTS is a higher bitrate, and IMO sounds quite a bit better, if you have good speakers. However, you will have much more compatibility with AC3. And probably will not hear a difference unless you have really good speakers.

i would go for ac3. the sounds is really good and i have the boston accustics sound which is definately not low end.

and i can play ac3 though the wireless media player on my tv from my pc. i doubt any of them could decode DTS.

easy choice for me.

i Prefer. DTS better soudn proccesing and hwo it procceses sound away from you or goign past you or the small sounds. i have a $300 sony setup i got 2 years ago and DTS is far better quality on it i can hear mutch more.

it really depends. you will have much more compatibility with AC3 as virtually every DVD player and reciever can pick up a AC3 (aka dolby digital) singal. however, imo.... the quality of sound with DTS is terrific, crisp, clear and many things are picked up that aren't with AC3. average joe listeners probably won't notice a difference.

if you are picky with your sound, I would suggest go with DTS. however, be warned, the proper equipment MUST be used in order for a DTS track to be processed. so you may not be able to play a DTS-only DVD in every unit. but, if that is not the case, go with DTS. you will not be disappointed :D

DTS does sound better, but AC3 is good too. If you have the capability to play DTS - and more importantly, the extra space on the disc to fit the DTS, go for it. If you either don't have DTS support, or you would be sacrificing substantial video quality, I'd go with AC3.

99.5% all DVD players  and  receivers  have DTS hardware built in  and have had  DTS for years now built in

586721190[/snapback]

but that alone will not suffice. the proper hardware for recievers connected w/ speakers also have to be there.

but that alone will not suffice. the proper hardware for recievers connected w/ speakers also have to be there.

586721493[/snapback]

not sure abut you but when i buy a nice or decent 5.1 system i usally get speakers with it . and i go through Toslink or SPID/IF if you rpefer for my player or coax digital cable connection. and i myself am good at determining quality