Disappearance of ISA Modem

i posted this as a comment.. not that it bugs me that much, i dont restart my comp much.. any way..

i have 2 modems.. 56k and 33.6k (pci/isa) and every time i restart my comp my isa modem disappears! and the port (com 2 normally) shows a (!) sign.. yellow sayin no drivers. so i have to remove the port, restart and do hardware scan. and after detecting the port ... it detects the modem, and install works fine... HMM :s

so if any one knows any solution, please speak up :)

further info will be included if asked.

Try manually setting the resources for the ISA modem. sounds like there are conflicts when it starts up. You might try disabling serial port 2 if you have two serial ports onboard.

Originally posted by nonick

i posted this as a comment.. not that it bugs me that much, i dont restart my comp much.. any way..

i have 2 modems.. 56k and 33.6k (pci/isa) and every time i restart my comp my isa modem disappears! and the port (com 2 normally) shows a (!) sign.. yellow sayin no drivers. so i have to remove the port, restart and do hardware scan. and after detecting the port ... it detects the modem, and install works fine... HMM :s

ISA? ever try a PCI Card? (if your board supports them)

Originally posted by nonick

The solution is simple....

Either 1) Disable your com2 in the bios if you don't need or aren't using com2 or 2) in the bios, have your com2 set as IRQ3 0x2F8

then have your modem set as IRQ 3 0x2E8. This will work as even though the IRQ is the same, the address isn't.

when u say u have 56k AND 33.6 thats pci and isa respectivly right? so u have 56k as pci and 33.6k as isa.. if not needed u could take the isa out.. its really outdated..

ISA isn't necessarily P&P compliant so Windows (and I'm assuming you're using Windows?) ain't going to find it although why it loses it after restart after you've loaded the drivers is a bit strange.

lol thx mods for the editing and moving ;)

well i have a 56k yeah... but its software modem, motorola.. sucks bit time in PINGS .. hence the software.. and i play stracraft on bnet.. so my 33.6k modem is ISA .. Hardware.. gives me great pings ... for a modem :)

so i use my 56k for downloading.. and the 33.6k for playing starcraft.

about having cable, there is no cable in my area.. and ADSL is expensive.. i'd rather still with dial up untill the prices fall a little ... at least to match my dial up fees or little higher...

As to the solutions you guys provided.. i'll try them now .. and tell you the results..

thanks all :)

Get rid of both those modems, and buy and install one PCI 56k modem. 56k modems must be no more than 50 bucks these days.

i have no money to buy any more .. 10bucks or 50bucks ...

and i dont think its a big problem to solve, i'm happy with what i have :p

anyway, i tried to set in the BIOS setting ... 0x2F8, but it says I/O conflict: 2F8 ? :ermm:

well i think i'll play with the settings, hope i get one right :p