Microsoft Hits Windows Vista Beta 2 Delays

Sources at the company told me this week that Microsoft will soon delay the release of Windows Vista Beta 2 from December 7, 2005 to sometime in January or February 2006. However, because the Vista development schedule is extremely time constrained, the company will try and make up lost time by eliminating one of the planned release candidate (RC) milestones that were planned for later in the process.

A Microsoft representative told me that the company remains on track for shipping Windows Vista in the second half of 2006. "We are on schedule and committed to shipping on time and ensuring a high-quality product," I was told. "Microsoft sets internal targets for the development team around milestones, but these are not commitments to specific dates. We do not comment on these internal milestones and we have not announced a specific timeframe for our next major Windows Vista milestone. "

"That said, customers have told us repeatedly they prefer more frequent code drops through our Community Technology Preview (CTP) program [which] provides a great avenue for real time feedback and testing from our customers--feedback we formerly received only through the beta process. You should expect Microsoft to continue their focus to deliver CTPs in the coming months given how successful this program has been."

Previously, sources had revealed to me that Microsoft would at least delay the release of Windows Vista Beta 2 until late December. This more recent delay suggests that the company is having a difficult time meeting its internal shipping criteria for Beta 2, which is considered a major milestone release and will be made widely available to testers and the public. It's not known at this time whether the delay will affect related product releases such as Internet Explorer (IE) 7.0 Beta 2 and Windows Media Player 11 Beta 1, both of which were also originally set for a December 7 public release.

Source: http://www.windowsitpro.com/windowspaulthu...rott_48408.html

I admit that from the quality of the last build I thought it would be hard for microsoft to hit beta 2 in december, lots of work still to do. Lots of hardware still not working correctly.

i prefer them to delay months than to rush to release an unfinished product or rip out parts of the OS that were supposed to be in because of no time :\

I think Microsoft is doing this because things are going too fast ... I don't think they want a Windows ME disaster all over again ...

586794430[/snapback]

i was just thinking that :)

I think Microsoft is doing this because things are going too fast ... I don't think they want a Windows ME disaster all over again ...

586794430[/snapback]

oh god.. nobody wants another ME disaster.. stocks will plumit.. and microsoft will need to pull a magic trick out there asses if they ever do that again. ME is probably the worst thing to happen to PC's LOL

oh god.. nobody wants another ME disaster.. stocks will plumit.. and microsoft will need to pull a magic trick out there asses if they ever do that again.  ME is probably the worst thing to happen to PC's LOL

586794700[/snapback]

:ninja: I beta tested that. It was the worst thing I have ever been involved in.

I am generally optimistic about Microsoft's operations. But if this is true, somebody needs a major asswhooping ! :ninja:

Normally I would've said its better to get delayed than ship with bugs, but they'd a plenty of time even after the reset! :huh:

The problem recently has been the addition of new features. Post Beta1 they started adding all kinda of stuff. This brought on more instability. The November CTP which I hear we are still going to get should be much better than the 5231 builds we currently have.

The problem recently has been the addition of new features.  Post Beta1 they started adding all kinda of stuff.  This brought on more instability.  The November CTP which I hear we are still going to get should be much better than the 5231 builds we currently have.

586794848[/snapback]

Lets hope so :p

:ninja:  I beta tested that. It was the worst thing I have ever been involved in.

586794710[/snapback]

What exactly is wrong with Windows ME, may I ask? I know I stand out like a sore thumb when saying this but Windows ME truly wasn't that bad. It had its' problems, but, hey, every Windows had its' own issues.

What exactly is wrong with Windows ME, may I ask? I know I stand out like a sore thumb when saying this but Windows ME truly wasn't that bad. It had its' problems, but, hey, every Windows had its' own issues.

586794975[/snapback]

For me stability and performance were the biggest problems.

In gratuity I received the full version, which I appreciated but stayed with Windows 98SE. That was a very good operating system for its time.

586794975[/snapback]

Well, it has more issues than other MS OS's in my opinion It was an memory-hog if there ever was one. Sure, you could set it proberly up if you was an it-expert, but for home users it sucks big time. By far the WORST OS from Microsoft. Not to mention its vulnerability to hackers, if it wasn't set perfect up, i never got it to work on computer when i upgraded some of the hardware (SoundBlaster Live!, not some strange borderline equipment)

I say if they need the extra time to ship a proper Beta 2, then be my guest.

586793931[/snapback]

I agree i think it is good Microsoft are thinking more of a working OS rather then a profit one by releasing it far to soon.

Nice to see they are learning from there past mistakes. ( like Windows ME rushed out for year 2000, poorly made and more BSOD's then ever thought possible "