BF2 special forces crash to desktop

anyone else having a problem with the 1.12 patch/special forces randomly crashing to desktop during games?

before installing this patch i never had any problems.

i've tried fresh install, drivers etc etc but still it randomly crashes. I'm not the only one experiencing this either, posts on totalbf and ea forums indicate this is yet another EA/DICE bugfest. :no:

I thought that my game was crashing to the desktop, but, apparently in order to go from old maps to new maps, and vice versa, the game has to exit out to the desktop and come back in as the other game. weird

I thought that my game was crashing to the desktop, but, apparently in order to go from old maps to new maps, and vice versa, the game has to exit out to the desktop and come back in as the other game.  weird

586856787[/snapback]

Yeah, I am with you, I do not like this feature at all.

Especially since I personally "force" a 1680 * 1050 resolution by adding some code in the target path of the desktop shortcuts. When I launch the game from these desktop shortcuts, it allows them to run at 1680 * 1050. When the game switches itself to adjust to the map, I lose the forced resolution.

I have yet to find a work around.

currently my BF2 crashes to desktop while loading any map. Here is the error I see in my Event Viewer:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 6.

At the same time, I also get the same error, except it has a 7 instead of a 6 at the end. I have searched for quite awhile, and have seen people with the same issue on many games besides only BF2, though no one seemed to give a decent solution. If anyone has an idea, please let me know.

For the original posters problem: what order have you been installing everything in?

BF2, patch, then SF

or

BF2, SF, then patch?

I know that I have seen that only one way works correctly, though I don't recall for sure which way. I would guess the second way is correct, though I don't know for sure.

For the original posters problem: what order have you been installing everything in?

BF2, patch, then SF

or

BF2, SF, then patch?

I know that I have seen that only one way works correctly, though I don't recall for sure which way. I would guess the second way is correct, though I don't know for sure.

I installed it the second way BF2, SF, then the new patch, and my friend installed it the other way BF2, patch, then SF, then patch, and it worked for both of us no problems at all, so although I agree the 2nd way sounds like the better way, I am not sure if it does really make a difference.

I did BF2, SF, patch....and i crash....and it sux....

So me and you did the same thing and I do not crash but you do, and my friend did it the other way around and he crashes as well, so I guess it really does not matter how you install it, and it is something deeper causing the crashes.

Man, they really need to get their act together, as even though I have never really had any serious problems with the game myself since the very beginning, I have read WAY to many threads of people that have had problems all over the place, and this is just truly unfortunate.

I really consider myself one of the lucky ones, and that sucks for everyone invlovled. They are really turning so many people off because of these issues, and I really feel for the people that do have issues for sure. :(

i did a bf2, patch, sf, patch and i get the crashes to the desktop

its fairly annoying, its either when loading a map sometimes or when ive been killed and it will lock up and exit to the desktop :cry:

• 4 months later...

Ok, like everyone else here, I've been having crash problems. I just reinstalled my BF2: SF yesterday because I got my computer back. Well what happens is when I'm in the middle of a game the screen goes black for about 1 second -(maybe less)- just so I can see it. Then after a few short minutes into the game it crashes to desktop without any message. I don't understand why this is happening.

I can name a few spec in my computer, here are them:

Nvidia GeForce 6200

512x2 RAM

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+

/\

2.50 GHz

Windows XP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please help me with this and some recommendationsI can do.

THx, [bFC]sgt_jadloski <---- BF2 gamertag

Peace

I had this problem and so did alot of people before but the new patch fixed it for me at least but it could also be your graphics card too, check to see if you have the latest drivers for it but you might need to get a better one in order to play.

I had this problem and so did alot of people before but the new patch fixed it for me at least but it could also be your graphics card too, check to see if you have the latest drivers for it but you might need to get a better one in order to play.

His 6200 is fine. It will play the game.

sgt_jadloski, go to My Documents/Battlefield 2/and look for a folder called Profiles or something along those lines. I am on my Mac now so I am not sure of the exact folder name.

Anyway, rename that folder to Profiles_OLD (you can name it whatever you want really).

What this does is force BF2 to recreate your user profile folder. You will have to log in again so make sure you remember your name (which you do) and password for that name before you do this.

My bet is something is off with one of your configuration files, and doing what I suggest resets them all back to default. You will have to change all the settings you might have changed already all over again, but it might indeed help with the crashing.

If it does not, you can always just delete the new folder it created and just rename the _OLD folder to the default folder name and it will all be back to how it was before.

Good Luck. (Y)

anyone else having a problem with the 1.12 patch/special forces randomly crashing to desktop during games?

before installing this patch i never had any problems.

i've tried fresh install, drivers etc etc but still it randomly crashes. I'm not the only one experiencing this either, posts on totalbf and ea forums indicate this is yet another EA/DICE bugfest. :no:

Yes mine does the same thing. These new games take so much computer to play. What ever happened to the days when you could play Q3 and SOF 2 with a 1 gig P4 and a 9000 pro. :crazy:

What ever happened to the days when you could play Q3 and SOF 2 with a 1 gig P4 and a 9000 pro. :crazy:

You can still play Q3 and SOF2 with a 1 gig P4 and a 9000 pro but you shouldn't expect newer games to run well on that.

Today I was playing SF and it crashed to desktop while I was in the middle of a game and then it crashed again while I was checking my stats on BFHQ. Very weird :|

is not a problem with your installation or hardware guys, is the game that's buggy as h3ll, let's call the BF2 series a great idea, not a great game, a great game should be fun to play, fully functional bug free, all those crash and bugs take the fun away from the game, is a shame how they release unfinished cr@p these days.

is not a problem with your installation or hardware guys, is the game that's buggy as h3ll, let's call the BF2 series a great idea, not a great game, a great game should be fun to play, fully functional bug free, all those crash and bugs take the fun away from the game, is a shame how they release unfinished cr@p these days.

fun to play, fully functional. sounds like BF2 to me. Bug free, hard to find a game these days that is but in general my BF2 has worked fine without any hang-ups. It's a great game if it works for you and although I see people complaining all over the place that it's bug ridden and useless I'm enjoying it alot and would hardly descrive it as unfinished

Don't get me wrong, but just notice what MoG_GenesisOmega said: "make sure u have the latest 1.22 patch"

you have to patch the h3ll out of the game to make it work the way is supposed to. before patches i considered it as unfinished cr@p, and as you see, even after patches people still having problems, mine has been working well lately, but because i throwed in another Gb of RAM, but Man, 2Gb of ram to make it work well, that's another issue.

as i said, don't get me wrong, i'm not an anti-BF2, i love the game and play it a lot, even when it kicks me back to the desktop once in a while. (even when i still consider it unfinish #%@) :whistle:

like a girlfriend, she is not perfect and you love her anyway..... ;)

I wonder what ur g/f would say if she heard u say that :p lol

but ya ur right i hate the fact that u have to patch it so much to just work....ok.... lol. Like in the past what 3 months there's been 3 patches lol..and it still has issues...

Don't get me wrong, but just notice what MoG_GenesisOmega said: "make sure u have the latest 1.22 patch"

you have to patch the h3ll out of the game to make it work the way is supposed to. before patches i considered it as unfinished cr@p, and as you see, even after patches people still having problems, mine has been working well lately, but because i throwed in another Gb of RAM, but Man, 2Gb of ram to make it work well, that's another issue.

as i said, don't get me wrong, i'm not an anti-BF2, i love the game and play it a lot, even when it kicks me back to the desktop once in a while. (even when i still consider it unfinish #%@) :whistle:

like a girlfriend, she is not perfect and you love her anyway..... ;)

it kinda show's how good it is by the amount of people putting up with apparent bugs just to play it. Those who have played it ok seem really happy with it.

The amount of people I know who have said that it's not working, i go round there and all it is is that they can't be bothered to wait for it to load. It has some seriously long loading times and alot of friends have thought that it's crashed or frozen when it's just loading lol.

I will say nothing about the patch or ram, seriously, if you're gonna slate a games performance at least make sure it's patched. Also reminds me of the amount of people I know trying to play it with 500meg of ram LMFAO , seriously?

Glad to hear you're having some joy with it now though, it's just too good a game to miss out on. It's amazing the difference a simple ram upgrade can make.

Edited by FudgeMonkey

I've already patch it soon as I reinstalled it. I haven't played the game for a while because I'm afriad its going to crash. I just hate the living hell out of the developers including STEAM and Valve. There bugging the hell out of HL2 and its mods. Having it crash like everyone is.

Well, I had BF2:SF crash on me twice as I posted here earlier but I realized it was because the server had crashed. Other than that, BF2 has worked flawlessly for me.

Same for me but I had mine crash 2 times about 5 mins apart. I got on about 4 times yesterday and it crashed after 2. Then today when I wanted to play on Warlord, it crashed. I still want to beat the living life out of EA developers and the people that make the patches. STRAIGHTEN UP AND FLY RIGHT MOTHERF***ERS. They need to patch it right and not fake, Example: Patch 1.22 fixes the server crashing problem. BULLSH*T.