Winlogon.exe listed twice in Task Manager

Can anyone tell me why Winlogon.exe would be listed twice in the Task Manager? First thing that comes to mind is a virus or trojan but I have ran scans and all came back clean.

Winlogin.exe, the Windows file, is supposed to be located in the System32 folder and if I do a search, that is the only one that comes up. So I dont have a rogue Winlogon.exe file anywhere on my PC.

My system runs fine. It's just that I noticed the two entries today and I know that normally there should only be one. Any ideas?? :wacko:

Under which user names are the winlogon.exe running? Normally, winlogon.exe runs under SYSTEM?.

Are they both under SYSTEM or is there one running under LOCAL SERVICE/NETWORK SERVICE?

Have you check the registry base to see if winlogon appears in one of the run keys?

Do/did you have multiple users logged on at once? Winlogon runs a seperate instance for each user that is logged onto the machine. Reboot and log on with only one user account and I bet you only see one instance.

Do/did you have multiple users logged on at once? Winlogon runs a seperate instance for each user that is logged onto the machine. Reboot and log on with only one user account and I bet you only see one instance.

Hmmmm...that might be it. I use Remote Desktop all the time on my PC so I bet that is it! Thanks! :)

(NOT SURE) but if you use the Run As... command to open a program, it may start a new instance to use that username's credentials.

No, winlogon runs for logon procedures, not authentication. The Local Security Authority (LSA - lsass.exe) authenticates users, and it only runs one instance.

Edited by John