[VB] Programs getting constant 'COMDLG32.OCX' errors

Question

All of my VB programs seem to be getting this error...

"Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

Some people get it, and some people don't, it's very weird. Anyone know how I might remedy this problem?

8 answers to this question

Your users need the VB Runtimes, or if you just put the file in system32, you need to run:

regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx

So that the component is registered. Or you can just use this to auto install it for your users

Thanks! I'll start making sure everyone has the VB6 runtimes.

Why doesn't Microsoft include the Visual Basic runtime files in Windows? It would make things much easier for VB devolopers.

Originally posted by zivan56

Your users need the VB Runtimes, or if you just put the file in system32, you need to run:

regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx

So that the component is registered. Or you can just use this to auto install it for your users

Tried some tests with users, but they're still getting errors even after installing the VB6 runtimes.

"Hmm, I downloaded VB6 Runtime and the generator, but I got an error message. It says it failed to load CommonDialog from COMDLG32.OCX..."

Another user got the same message but it failed to load StatusBar. This is very odd...it works on some systems but not on others.

Not too familiar with VB, but isn't there a way to statically link the runtime libraries? That way, people don't have to download extra stuff. I know you can do it with MFC runtime libraries...

Originally posted by Oogle

Not too familiar with VB, but isn't there a way to statically link the runtime libraries? That way, people don't have to download extra stuff. I know you can do it with MFC runtime libraries...

Microsoft had to be really stupid and decide not to include any VB runtime files in Windows itself.

Microsoft includes the runtimes into Windows.

Windows 95 doesn't have any runtime libraries for Visual Basic.

Windows 98 has runtimes for Visual Basic 5.

Windows Me has Visual Basic 6 runtimes (I think).

Windows 2000 and XP should have Visual Basic 6 runtimes.

The final version of Windows.NET should have runtime libraries for the .NET framework. ;)

DLL for VB1: vbrun100.dll or just vbrun.dll ?

DLL for VB2: vbrun200.dll

DLL for VB3: vbrun300.dll

DLL for VB4: vb400.dll (I think)

DLL for VB5: msvbvm50.dll

DLL for VB6: msvbvm60.dll

(MSVBVM = Microsoft Visual Basic Virutal Machine)

OCX files are not a part of the so called runtime libraries.

When I programmed in VB6 I tried not to use OCX files, so I used APIs instead.