Windows XP Home vs Windows XP Pro

Hi.

I recently built my new dual core PC and I have set up my bios, etc.

I'm ready to install an OS.

What I'm wondering is - what is better for a dual core pc? XP Pro or XP Home and why?

Thanks,

Filth

The big difference between Home and Pro is some admin tools and Home defaults to mshome for the workgroup where as Pro defaults to workgroup.

:rofl: workgroup name -- WTF? that is what you consider a big difference?? how about the ability to join a domain? Or 2 cpu's vs 1.. or IIS 5.1, or offline files -- how about EFS? or Remote Desktop?

Workgroup name - :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Home supports one physical processor, while Professional supports two. You probably didn't get a multi-processor multi-core system, so either will be fine.

They support dual core since SP2 I believe. Here's an AMD link saying they do.

Link

:rofl: workgroup name -- WTF? that is what you consider a big difference?? how about the ability to join a domain? Or 2 cpu's vs 1.. or IIS 5.1, or offline files -- how about EFS? or Remote Desktop?

Actually you can add XP home to a domain

Using the third part tool Xteq you can....

Here

NO YOU CAN NOT!!! And no you do not need any tool to auth to a domain.. But you can not JOIN the domain - PERIOD!!

XP home doesn't support dual core.

Go with XP Pro.

Thats not a true statement. Both PRO and HOME support dual core, just that PRO supports more than 1 processor, whereas home does not.

What about Windows Xp Pro 64-bit edition? I've considered this as well, but I heard some progs dont have drivers for windows xp pro x64... :huh:

is your dual core 64bit????? If it is -- kind of limits you to what version of windows will give you full support huh :wacko:

Thats not a true statement. Both PRO and HOME support dual core, just that PRO supports more than 1 processor, whereas home does not.

For dual core CPU, the computer see it as two CPUs. Thus home will not support it.

For whatever reason, go with Pro is the safest bet.

Three words:

Simple File Sharing

*throws up everything I've ever eaten*

Three words:

Simple File Sharing

*throws up everything I've ever eaten*

SFS what? Pro can use SFS if you so desire?? Not sure why anyone would want to.. Not sure what point your trying to make?

For dual core CPU, the computer see it as two CPUs. Thus home will not support it.

For whatever reason, go with Pro is the safest bet.

Home sees dual core CPUs as one CPU, but in Task Manager it shows as two.

Win2k sees dual core CPUs as two CPUs.

(same as hyperthreading.)

Etc etc.

A dual core hyperthreading processor would show in WinXP as 2 CPUs (but task manager would show 4)

That same processor will show on Win2k as 4 physical CPUs.

XP home doesn't support dual core.

Go with XP Pro.

No. XP Home doesn't support multiple physical processors. A dual core processor will work just fine, because it shows up as two logical processors, which XP Home does support. That's why Hyperthreading works on XP Home machines.

is your dual core 64bit????? If it is -- kind of limits you to what version of windows will give you full support huh wacko.gif

Not really... It'll work on 32-bit or 64-bit. Not really sure what you mean by "full support" though.

It'll work on 32-bit or 64-bit. Not really sure what you mean by "full support" though.

:blink: :blink: :blink: What Part do you not understand about using a 64bit CPU, but only running a 32 bit OS on it? Does your 32 bit OS "FULLY SUPPORT" that 64 bit cpu's capabilities?? :wacko:

They dont make a XP HOME 64 bit now do they ;)

:blink: :blink: :blink: What Part do you not understand about using a 64bit CPU, but only running a 32 bit OS on it? Does your 32 bit OS "FULLY SUPPORT" that 64 bit cpu's capabilities?? :wacko:

They dont make a XP HOME 64 bit now do they ;)

I know that. The way you put it was rather vague. "Fully support" can mean a lot of things.