Make DVD Burner read DVD-RAM

I bought this DVD camcorder that uses DVD-RAM. I realize that my computer can't read DVD-RAM disc's, neither does my DVD standalone player. I went to the store(im not going to say the store name but its a big company) where I bought the camcorder and told them about this and the manager guy kept on saying that DVD drives (computer) can read DVD-RAM disc's. He told me that its possible to make any DVD ROM drive read DVD-RAM if you just download a program that would make your drive DVD-RAM compatible. I had this strong feeling that this is not possible. How could you make a hardware that doesn't read something, possible to read it when the hardware doesnt support it in the first place?

He kept on telling me its possible. I checked my Benq DW1640 with Nero InfoTool and it does not support DVD-RAM.

1. Is it REALLY possible to make a drive read DVD-RAM with software alone?

and

2. Is there a easy small program that would just tell me the information on any installed CD/DVD Drives? I want to show the guy the proof but I don't want to install Nero on their computers.

Thanks guys! :cool:

from what i know DVD RAM discs are enclosed in special protective case and if you drive does not support them you can't make it read DVD-RAA with a simple program...

Just bring nero info tool with you, you don't need nero to run it and probe this guy wrong. :p

he's gonna tell you everything he can to keep you from bringing the product back to store, remember that. also the only way that i can see this being done is through a firmware upgrade although i have not heard of anyone doing it so probably not.

he`s right.

normaly every dvd-drive (PC, Standalone) can play DVD-RAM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM

MAYBE U`VE BURNED WITH THE WRONG FILE SYSTEM. OLDER PLAYERS OR OS CAN ONLY READ FAT (U CAN USE IT BUT ITS SLOW AN NOT SOOOO GOOD).

BEST U USE UDF 1.02 IF YOUR OS AND PLAYER CAN READ IT.

> UDF1.02 U BETTER USE A DRIVE LIKE NERO INCD.

and remember.. if u want to safe your data for a long while and want to save it secure .. use only DVD-RAM, or other MO Drives.... not DVD-R,DVD+R,DVD-RW,DVD+RW.

Disadvantages of DVD-RAM

* Type 2 discs do not always come in a case.

* Most DVD recorders do not support DVD-RAM.

* DVD-RAM video disks do not play on older DVD players nor on some new models.

* The medium is more expensive than DVD?RW.

* DVD+RW can be written faster than DVD-RAM when writing large amounts of data.

After he tried to read the DVD-RAM disc (it made his computer froze), it didn't work and he started to talk all quiet. He tried to get away from me as fast as he could from what I could tell. I think the only way a DVD drive (PC) can read DVD-RAM is if it supports it by hardware. I saw this LG Super drive and it says on the box that it reads everything.

I think "normaly every dvd-drive (PC, Standalone) can play DVD-RAM." is incorrect. What the salesman said makes me think that I could just download a program to make my CD drive read DVDs, which is impossible.

He also goes on about that the camcorder can use DVD-RW's (8mm), but it doesnot> say it supports that on the camcorder, only supports -R.

probably need a dvd ram drive

although the good news is the dvd writer that does dvd-ram as well as +/- R RW and +R dual layer is about the same price as a regular dvd-burner! (which are fairly cheap thesedays)

i beleve the LG burner can do dvd-ram and NEC's newest one can.

According to the LG website their current dvd rom drives can also read dvd-ram

ive not tested that though, keep meaning to buy some dvd-ram discs to try but never quite get around to it.

Disadvantages of DVD-RAM

* Type 2 discs do not always come in a case.

* Most DVD recorders do not support DVD-RAM.

* DVD-RAM video disks do not play on older DVD players nor on some new models.

* The medium is more expensive than DVD?RW.

* DVD+RW can be written faster than DVD-RAM when writing large amounts of data.

After he tried to read the DVD-RAM disc (it made his computer froze), it didn't work and he started to talk all quiet. He tried to get away from me as fast as he could from what I could tell. I think the only way a DVD drive (PC) can read DVD-RAM is if it supports it by hardware. I saw this LG Super drive and it says on the box that it reads everything.

I think "normaly every dvd-drive (PC, Standalone) can play DVD-RAM." is incorrect. What the salesman said makes me think that I could just download a program to make my CD drive read DVDs, which is impossible.

He also goes on about that the camcorder can use DVD-RW's (8mm), but it doesnot> say it supports that on the camcorder, only supports -R.

maybe reading helps...

*Most DVD recorders do not support DVD-RAM>.

-------this is only for WRITING not READING.---------------

Normaly every DVD-Drive (pc,standalone or what ever can read DVD-RAM)

maybe some very bad bad drives (Maybe it only reads FAT DVD-RAM or UDF 1.0 1.02) cannot but they must also have problems with DVD+R / -RW+RW

If a DVD-Drive have Problems reading your DVD-RAM YOU HAVE THE WRONG FILE SYSTEM ON DVD-RAM.

You can choose from 1 to 2.5 ..

XP can only plays 1.02 .. above u need a UDF Driver like INCD.

and of course.. you need a DVD Drive not CD-R *G*

YES ..see INCD

Technical a DVD Drive dont see if its DVD or DVD-RAM ... (damn english)

But the Software ... see FAT/UDF

EDIT: Oki some realy old or unknown drives have problems reading...

but i think your problem is the file system.

Edited by NeMeS

maybe reading helps...

*Most DVD recorders do not support DVD-RAM>.

-------this is only for WRITING not READING.---------------

Normaly every DVD-Drive (pc,standalone or what ever can read DVD-RAM)

maybe some very bad bad drives (Maybe it only reads FAT DVD-RAM or UDF 1.0 1.02) cannot but they must also have problems with DVD+R / -RW+RW

If a DVD-Drive have Problems reading your DVD-RAM YOU HAVE THE WRONG FILE SYSTEM ON DVD-RAM.

You can choose from 1 to 2.5 ..

XP can only plays 1.02 .. above u need a UDF Driver like INCD.

and of course.. you need a DVD Drive not CD-R *G*

YES ..see INCD

Technical a DVD Drive dont see if its DVD or DVD-RAM ... (damn english)

But the Software ... see FAT/UDF

EDIT: Oki some realy old or unknown drives have problems reading...

but i think your problem is the file system.

Alright, some would think that you'd learn after the first post you made, but no.

I'll say this once:

DVD-RAM discs (a optical disc in a CARTRIDGE) CANNOT BE READ IN A STANDARD DVD DRIVE.

You need a DVD-RAM drive to read DVD-RAM discs.

Is this clear enough?

Alright, some would think that you'd learn after the first post you made, but no.

I'll say this once:

DVD-RAM discs (a optical disc in a CARTRIDGE) CANNOT BE READ IN A STANDARD DVD DRIVE.

Is this clear enough?

Early Panasonic DVD-RAM recorders used disc's in a cartridge. That is not the case anymore.

I have a LG DVD burner that takes all formats including DVD-RAM and the disc's I have do not come in a cartridge.

The big advantage with DVD-RAM over DVD+/-RW is that DVD-RAM can be rewritten to more times, approx 10,000.

I'll say this once:

Is this clear enough?

:no: :boo:

i only answerd to the

most dvd recorders blah blah... :crazy:

clear enough ? ;) :whistle:

the starter should try incd if he have dvd-rams without cartridge ... :D

i`ve it doesnt works with incd he have a "CAN NOT READ DVD-RAM DRIVE". :cry:

on my first link theres .. oh sorry he must use the german link on wikipedia..

theres a list of dvd-players and dvd-roms with DVD-RAM RED/WRITE Support (but its older)

It's hard to understand your english but from what I could tell is that you told me to try InCD. This I will do, I will try it and see if it would work.

If your PC's DvD-ROM drive does not support DvD-RAM there is no way that I know of to get it to read the disc because I think it needs to be supported at the drives chipset/firmware level.

For those with DvD-Burners that do support DvD-RAM there is a very easy way of getting windows to write to it without the need for any software such as inCD.

The first thing you need to do is disable the Windows CD burning support for the drive as this causes problems, its best to reboot your PC after doing this.

Once done, format the DvD-RAM with the FAT32 file system. (this can take a while depending on your burners RAM write speed).

Once the dvd-ram has been formatted you can treat the disc exactly like a hard drive. It works a treat!

Apologies if you already know this, but I thought it would be a handy tip to share. ;)

dvd3uz.jpg

In the image above is the specs of my DVD Burner.

Even if I could format the disc to another file system, I don't think it would be a good idea because I need this for my DVD camcorder to record videos. If I go and experiment with the disc, I might not be able to record video using this disc.

So you guys are suggesting that I should just buy a new DVD burner drive (which i bought a few months ago) AND waste $600 on a dvd camcorder. wow..

so the final answer to my question is... no, there is no way to make a DVD Burner that doesnt support DVD-RAM, read DVD-RAM disc's with software.

after taking a look, I'm not 100% sure but this is what I'm thinking also

If your drive doesn't support DVD-Ram, then unfortunately there's no way :( What you need is a drive that could potentially have DVD-Ram, but it's disabled by the firmware.

So for example, the Pioneer 110D and the Pioneer 110, or the NEC 3550 and the NEC 4550. Supposedly the drives are similar to their older brothers in every way except the higher models (110 and 4550) are the exact same as their little brothers (110D and 3550 respectively). So yeah a flash of firmware may work (obviously you'll need a modded firmware by a user - I don't think the BenQ one will work unfortunately). I don't even know if BenQ still has plans to support DVD-Ram (supposedly they were to release one). Anyways it doesn't seem possible. Basically the actual chipset needs to have support for DVD-Ram, regardless if the firmware has it disabled

What you might want to look for is a DVD-Rom that can read DVD-Ram. I've heard Toshiba DVD-Roms can read DVD-Ram (altho may be hard to find). Hope that helps you out a little

btw - it might be worth a look @ cdfreaks.com in the forums for a much better answer