[Shell Patcher] Tango Icons for Windows

nice to hear, any hints on a date when it will be ready to release (or wont you do a seperate pack for orange?) looking forward to those and the bootscreen (maybe? pleeeease!!)

Orange is out, with version 0.9.0ubuntu1 piggybacking with 0.7.2. I hadn't planned on doing a seperate pack for Tangerine, because it takes so many dependencies from base Tango, and I can pull a few non-orange things that the Ubuntu Art Team did for Tangerine that fit in well with normal Tango (like the CD/DVD icons that apparently never display properly :whistle: versus my simple overlaying job) that it's more space-efficient and less duplicated work on my part to just include it as a sub-pack.

If I do a bootscreen, it'll require Stardock's Bootskin, to change the color palette in ntoskrnl.exe, you have to hex edit it, and that's a wee more more mucking about than I want to do, let alone support. An Ubuntu brown bootscreen might actually be pretty easy (not requiring any real creativity on my part), I might do that just for fun sometime soon :)

Ok. Now I am totally confused.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. (And by that, I mean I don't really know what's going on myself, either.)

My final verdict on this is, for everybody the bug is bugging: Did they actually change to differentiated icons BEFORE patching? If so, I've set the wrong icon on one or more entries, and I can fix that in a jiffy by modifying the script. Just by looking at the icons, it looks right to me at present, although I only have a CDRW drive and don't have enough different kinds of media to test all the combinations. But if it didn't have differentiated icons in the first place, the shell hardware detection service and Explorer are to blame, not the patcher and its associated scripts, and it isn't my problem nor could I could anything about it anyways.

Edited by vertigosity

Problem solved vert,

Against my own will i had to format (GRRR) and after a total fresh install i applied the shell patcher and TADA!

Now the icon in my computer changes perfectly unpon putting an audio cd or dvd into the drive.

Im so glad it works as intended now but lol it took me some hours to do, i hadnt backed up my HD in a while i had alot of collecting to get done :|

Hmm. I think I found out why the behavior on my machine is ****ed up. While installing the pack I left a Video DVD in the drive. So it's my own fault. :hmmm:

Woot, it's working for everybody, I can breathe a sigh of relief and come up with a new and interesting way to break it again :devil:

@CPL... nice, I think that may even work better than the Ubuntu Warty wallpaper!

How about a nice vista-shellpack ... I`m sure you would do a fantastic job :yes:

No! There are so many Vista packs out there...

Keep working on Tango! :yes:

There are so many Vista packs out there...

I agree, but a lot of bugs inclusive ... :pinch:

Just an idee ... if you find free-icons post it here ...

Vertigosity rocks ! Fantastic work :yes:

No! There are so many Vista packs out there...

Yep. Personally, I don't think Kudesnick's Vista Icons Pack is half bad.
I rather see a pack for other icon set like gperfection? than another vista pack
I kinda already have done Gperfection2, or at least parts of it - I used it to help fill in the gaps in more than a few places for my Gnome pack. Still, there's a bunch of icons in it that are from Gnome-icon-theme rather than Gperfection2. We've got a few months before I need a break from Tangerine, maybe then I'll make a more Gperfect sub-theme to the Gnome pack;))

I think the next thing for me to stab at is the patcher, it's time to cook something decent-er up... XPero might be offering me bits of the XPize installer, Shacal's back from the void and working on GUIReplacer 3.x, and I've been working on converting my own logic to VB6 so I can do the sorts of nifty things that need a real programming language to be implemented. Either way, the hobby just refuses to die:DD

Edited by vertigosity

Problem solved vert,

Against my own will i had to format (GRRR) and after a total fresh install i applied the shell patcher and TADA!

Now the icon in my computer changes perfectly unpon putting an audio cd or dvd into the drive.

Im so glad it works as intended now but lol it took me some hours to do, i hadnt backed up my HD in a while i had alot of collecting to get done :|

Indeed tried fresh install and icons (drive icons) indeed work! :D

Screeshot looks great ... I like the folder-background

What is the best VS for Orange ?

What is the best Login for Orange ?

What is the best wallpaper for Orange ?

:blush:

:)

0.7.2a(05/04/2006): Fixed a few errors I made while refactoring, improve the documentation, update Tangerine to 0.10.

thanks for the update!