[Shell Patcher] Tango Icons for Windows

Jesus christ, my computer officially hates you. It's either that NOD32 is screwing up something, or I don't know whats going on.

I have NOD32 & no problem w/ the Tango shell patcher.

>0.7.2a(05/04/2006): Fixed a few errors I made while refactoring, improve the documentation, update Tangerine to 0.10.

thanks for the update!

Yeah, there was a minor minor update. If you already had the shell32.dll script from earlier this week, or you feel like staring at the documentation for a bit (which I did when I was tired, so there's grammatical errors :(), there's not really much to grab it for, unless you're just a stickler for having the absolute latest point releases, or like murdering DeviantArt's bandwidth.
Perhaps consider a link to this Tango icon pack for the extras?

Sure. Interesting choice of first post, welcome to NW :)
Jesus christ, my computer officially hates you. It's either that NOD32 is screwing up something, or I don't know whats going on.
I think "Try it in safe mode." is going to be my new shot-in-the-dark snake-oil panacea catch-phrase, since doing that eliminates oh-so-many variables, and I think partially neuters Windows File Protection. The shareware version of NOD32 doesn't give me any grief, FWIW. I think your computer just hates me :cry:

nod32 as well installed fine

Oh wow... then it's something else on my computer that never lets it install. Does anyone know if IconPackager will break it maybe? But then again, I reverted the icons back to default XP ones before installing the pack.. Oh well, I guess I'l just wait for a real installer/uninstaller.

Oh wow... then it's something else on my computer that never lets it install. Does anyone know if IconPackager will break it maybe? But then again, I reverted the icons back to default XP ones before installing the pack.. Oh well, I guess I'l just wait for a real installer/uninstaller.

Yeah mine wouldn't let me install for some reason too until I did a reformat. Everytime I ran the patch the Windows error for replacing certain files didn't pop up. But after the reformat they popped up like no tomorrow haha and it worked like a charm :yes:

@celdamage: IconPackager won't affect the system file modification in any way, but it will affect what gets displayed. I wouldn't hold your breath too long for a real installer, I've been too busy to really work on it myself. GUIReplacer 3.0 might be pretty nice, though, if you don't mind the .NET framework.

@archan9el: Interesting effect! I do have a tendency to reformat my desktop every 2-4 months (restoring from an activated image), if only as an excuse to play with the latest release of Vista or Ubuntu, my other test machines are clean VMs and a laptop that doesn't get mucked with much, so I can't claim to test on installs that've led a full life, so to speak.

@celdamage: IconPackager won't affect the system file modification in any way, but it will affect what gets displayed. I wouldn't hold your breath too long for a real installer, I've been too busy to really work on it myself. GUIReplacer 3.0 might be pretty nice, though, if you don't mind the .NET framework.

@archan9el: Interesting effect! I do have a tendency to reformat my desktop every 2-4 months (restoring from an activated image), if only as an excuse to play with the latest release of Vista or Ubuntu, my other test machines are clean VMs and a laptop that doesn't get mucked with much, so I can't claim to test on installs that've led a full life, so to speak.

Restoring from an activated image is a good strategy especially good for ppl doing DIY themselves. I used to do the image after M$ Windows and Office activation but prior to installation any other drivers and software. By doing so, I only need four CDs for a True Image exercise.

I use Iconpackager along with the shell patcher to Tango-a-fy (yes that is now a word) some things that the patcher doesn't and i never have any problems patching or installing new patch versions.

i used it for the first time, im impressed it worked way better/faster than the vista patcher.

however it didn't changed my docs and recycler icons, other than that good job.

I hope the guy that runs the Gui Replacer site fixes it soon. Looks like it's been hacked.

I should also mention this Windows was already built into my Sony VAIO laptop. The reformat removed the OEM version in place of a totally new fresh install of the whole system, much like a breath of fresh air free of pollutants (Sony Crapware).

Restoring from an activated image is a good strategy ...

I agree - specially for DLL`noobs - make a ghost image (I use Norton Ghost) and

when I have trouble my new clean system takes only some minutes ...

:)

I hope the guy that runs the Gui Replacer site fixes it soon. Looks like it's been hacked.

The forum site isn't an official site by any means... Shacal.com, the site of the guy who actually maintains GUIR, is clean. Of course, I say this just as my ISP suspended darkt.net for me having accidentally created a spam relay :pinch:
If you don't want the start menu button to get the shoes what do i have to put in the override folder?
Put Bitmap #176 (for Windows Classic) and/or Bitmap #143 (for Luna) in the res_tweaked/explorer.exe folder... override is for stuff you've reshacked manually, or stuff that isn't the normal Windows version of a file. It's explorer.exe, of course.
No. Windows 2000 does not support alpha transparency. :(
I've a conversation with Dobey, who's suggested that I go ahead and make some non-alphablended icons, which would display properly on Win2k. I don't know if I want to support win2k in any capacity, though... it doesn't always use the same resources in the same places, and I haven't been able to get file replacement to work reliably on it. Not... that I have on XP, either.
what the commands to replace my shell32.dll !!! i crashed and rebooted and i get an error saying the shell32.dll is bad anyone help me out
You'll probably need the recovery console to fix that, I'm afraid shell32 is used for the logon process, but if safe mode + command prompt works, that would work too. In the recovery console, cd to change directories, dir to list their contents, and then copy should be all you need to copy a backup shell32 to the live system.

After you find a good backup (if you've been using my patcher, the "original" subdirectory of it would be a good place to check), just copy it to system32 as such, "copy shell32.dll c:\windows\system32" and let it replace. If system file protection tries to stop you, copy it to c:\windows\system32\dllcache too.

I hope this is enough for you to go on!

The forum site isn't an official site by any means... Shacal.com, the site of the guy who actually maintains GUIR, is clean. Of course, I say this just as my ISP suspended darkt.net for me having accidentally created a spam relay :pinch:Put Bitmap #176 (for Windows Classic) and/or Bitmap #143 (for Luna) in the res_tweaked/explorer.exe folder... override is for stuff you've reshacked manually, or stuff that isn't the normal Windows version of a file. It's explorer.exe, of course.I've a conversation with Dobey, who's suggested that I go ahead and make some non-alphablended icons, which would display properly on Win2k. I don't know if I want to support win2k in any capacity, though... it doesn't always use the same resources in the same places, and I haven't been able to get file replacement to work reliably on it. Not... that I have on XP, either.You'll probably need the recovery console to fix that, I'm afraid shell32 is used for the logon process, but if safe mode + command prompt works, that would work too. In the recovery console, cd to change directories, dir to list their contents, and then copy should be all you need to copy a backup shell32 to the live system.

After you find a good backup (if you've been using my patcher, the "original" subdirectory of it would be a good place to check), just copy it to system32 as such, "copy shell32.dll c:\windows\system32" and let it replace. If system file protection tries to stop you, copy it to c:\windows\system32\dllcache too.

I hope this is enough for you to go on!

i cant get in to safe to safe with command promt

i cant get in to safe to safe with command promt
Then you'll need the recovery console, or a WinPE CD, no other way around it.

Edit: How'd you break it? Something I need to add some sort of failsafe or check for in my script?