[Shell Patcher] Tango Icons for Windows

Vertigosity,

I still take a look at this tread daily, and I am amazed at how thorough your work on this project has become. You don't take any ideas from this thread and just turn them down, you consider what other people are asking of you, and yet, you're doing it all for free. I wish I had your skill of making such a great package here. Those of us that use this set are very thankfull for your hard work. Keep it up man.

so i finally got this package working and wow its awesome! - thanks for making this vertigosity! but i must know one simple question.. could i now delete / rename the Super Turbo Tango Patcher Folder?

so i finally got this package working and wow its awesome! - thanks for making this vertigosity! but i must know one simple question.. could i now delete / rename the Super Turbo Tango Patcher Folder?
Yep, once it's done its work it doesn't need to stick around. All paths are relative, so if you wanted to go back for one reason or another, the restore process would work fine if the folder's been renamed. It doesn't work so hot when it's been deleted, though :shifty:

OK, thanx for the replies... This may be a little over the top, but could we be expecting shell animation, bitmap and similar replacements :p ?

Sorta like XPize or FlyakiteOSX...

^ I don't know if this floats everyone's boat, but I am so going back to using Classic Logon for a while :cool:

Looks good Vertigosity - you don't happen to know the font used for the Tango! logo do you?
Not a clue... it is definitely not Bitstream Vera Serif, although it looks "close enough" for some characters (the ones I used) at smaller sizes. It looks a LOT like Times New Roman, but it's not an exact match. I'd guess that it's probably a free-as-in-speech licensed font, which means poking around a modern Linux system to yield a proper answer. It looks like it could be "Century Schoolbook L," "Norasi," or "URW Bookman L" but I am not a typographer :whistle:
wow job im using it now hehe... does it auto check for icons changes every reboot just like XPize?
Nope, although that is something I'm considering for the oft-mentioned Real Installer. Right now it's a one-time, one-shot, completely linear script that does its job and then gets out of the way, which is nice in its own respect, but not exactly feature-laden.

im using xpize 4.4 ... must i uninstall that before installing this? or just overwrite?
If you're using XPize's command prompt modification, you will need to disable that. There's a .reg file in %windir%\xpize\resources, if it hasn't moved since the last time I looked (4.2, I think).

^ I don't know if this floats everyone's boat, but I am so going back to using Classic Logon for a while :cool:

This is awesome if you do include it later in the package , but id request that you can make one for WinXP Home? i dont have professinal .. :(

This is awesome if you do include it later in the package , but id request that you can make one for WinXP Home? i dont have professinal .. :(

haha ditto

What i need are lots of custom folder/drive icons. I'm so attached to the iColorfolder (and have the whole XPero's custom folder/drive pack).

I'm not prepared to part with them yet, so i'll wait ;)

Just for the record, I'm not sure when I want to do the next release. Upstream 0.7.3 looks like it's going to contain a significant list of changes to quite a few icons, and I'm sorta gung ho about the next release having a GUI patcher, but I haven't really done anything yet that screams "I'm cool, dedicate a release to me!" to me and is truly stable/complete. But that's easy for me to say, I have access to the absolute latest version of my work :rolleyes:

This is awesome if you do include it later in the package , but id request that you can make one for WinXP Home? i dont have professional .. :(

I went completely overboard with them, not only do I have one for Home, I also went and did them for all the other variants as well, even the ones that'll never be seen... they're really quite easy to crank out, since I have them saved as vectors in PSP format.
Does the pack include orange BMP`s and AVIS now ?

It`s still sexy :blush:

BMPs, yes, where applicable. AVIs, not yet. Lately, I've been playing with methods of programmatically scripting image layering operations (imagemagick on win32!) which might make that possible. I don't want to have to do it again completely by hand, it's just too much work, and PSP's scripting functionality is just too unpredictable/GIMP's scripting functionality is just too unfathomable. Imagemagick looks promising, though, I just need to spend some time with its manual.
What i need are lots of custom folder/drive icons. I'm so attached to the iColorfolder (and have the whole XPero's custom folder/drive pack).

I'm not prepared to part with them yet, so i'll wait ;)

If I manage to grok using imagemagick to layer images, that should be a piece of cake... any in particular you'd like to request?

If I manage to grok using imagemagick to layer images, that should be a piece of cake... any in particular you'd like to request?

Folders: Windows, documents and settings, programs, ISO, movies and video, audio, some "stash" or my downloads folder...

Drives: one with a windows icon and one representing some kind of "storage" drive...

And of course, some generic coloured folders ^_^

And yeah, what's the Upstream? Tried googling... nothing related to this...

using imagemagick to layer images, that should be a piece of cake... any in particular you'd like to request?

Hmm does logon screen and bootscreen count? Can you add that to a patcher? :p

Upstream.. my guess that's an upgrade to a current patcher no? :whistle:

Edited by markoajda

Hi Vertigosity, thanks so much for all your hard work on this project! I love it! Is there any chance of getting hold of the PNGs for your flat folder design? It would be most appreciated as I would love to use them in avedesk.

Thanks a lot!

Ewan

What is Upstream 0.7.3?

I don't actually make (most of) the icons, these people do. I've peeked at the CVS versions of stuff, and Jimmac's gone on a mad killing spree, changing the shadows. (It does actually look cooler, though). Upstream, in this situation = people doing the stuff I work with. Answers.com explains it better.
Folders: Windows, documents and settings, programs, ISO, movies and video, audio, some "stash" or my downloads folder...

Drives: one with a windows icon and one representing some kind of "storage" drive...

And of course, some generic coloured folders ^_^

Sounds reasonable, I think I could appreciate having those mahself :)
Hmm does logon screen and bootscreen count? Can you add that to a patcher? :p

Upstream.. my guess that's an upgrade to a current patcher no? :whistle:

I was asking about emblemated icons, actually.

Logon and bootscreen aren't really things for the patcher, they could/should be distributed as seperate modules. From a design perspective, I haven't really decided what way I want to swing them. I'm thinking Tangoised Windows XP, not Windows Pretending To Be Linux, like the Gina bitmaps I just did. I just have to get around to gagging on the XP baby-blue logon first.

A current patchering tool wouldn't be "upstream" of me at all. That's all me :D

Hi Vertigosity, thanks so much for all your hard work on this project! I love it! Is there any chance of getting hold of the PNGs for your flat folder design? It would be most appreciated as I would love to use them in avedesk.

Thanks a lot!

Ewan

SVGs come from http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=34680 - convert away! Take a peek at the first post in this thread, I went ahead and posted my method for converting SVG to PNG. Edited by vertigosity