[Shell Patcher] Tango Icons for Windows

niceeeeee

BTW

any tango thunderbird icon?

I haven't tweaked one up yet... the icon included in Tango-materia is just the normal one, you don't need to bother with that unless you want it as a PNG, and it'd almost be simpler (at least, from the perspective of a guy with no bandwidth who already has the tool for doing it) just to convert Thunderbird's normal icon to PNGs. Hylke's looks like it'd be a nice start, but they seem somewhat oversimplified to me as well (he claims that the guidelines made him do it), but he's afraid of Mozilla's army of fire-breathing lawyers and declares his for private use only, so I'm not touching it. I'm not going to drop my own logo edit unless I either hear from Mozilla's army of fire-breathing lawyers, or stumble across a mailing list / forum / etc post from someone more official to Mozilla policy stating that sort of thing. Edited by vertigosity

Here's my "mockup." And by "mockup," I mean, "finished product."

^ I've needed to do that for a nice long while.

I like this a lot. I'm just wondering. How would the standby icon look like; if it was just the moon and stars, and not the computer monitor around it.

I like this a lot. I'm just wondering. How would the standby icon look like; if it was just the moon and stars, and not the computer monitor around it.
The background's too light for it, really... I'd have to at least reverse the colors. I think it works pretty well the way I've got it right now, honestly. I think the drawing looks too simple to be used on its own, as well.
please make the turn off icon like the log off on log off dialog

this white one looks not that cool imo

Yeah, it's not that great, but it IS authentic. If I were going to replace it, I'd borrow the icon from gnome-icon-theme2.

The background's too light for it, really... I'd have to at least reverse the colors. I think it works pretty well the way I've got it right now, honestly. I think the drawing looks too simple to be used on its own, as well.Yeah, it's not that great, but it IS authentic. If I were going to replace it, I'd borrow the icon from gnome-icon-theme2.

i actually kinda like the turn off icon, its very practical and somehow links the computer work back to the basics of functionality.

Here's my "mockup." And by "mockup," I mean, "finished product."

^ I've needed to do that for a nice long while.

That looks amazing! Can't wait for the next release :cool:

Best.Icon.Set.Ever

The only thing i think should be put as high priority is a new installer with the option of picking say Firefox/Thunderbird and so on icons.

I know this has been said a million times, but i just thought id say thanks and know that ive done all i can do :)

Keep up the excellent work man

i actually kinda like the turn off icon, its very practical and somehow links the computer work back to the basics of functionality.
Yep - lightswitch. It sorta takes a second to figure out - viewed straight-on, there's not really enough perspective.
Anyone got a a Hi-Res Internet Explorer tango icon?
SVG available here. How high-res do ya want it?
The only thing i think should be put as high priority is a new installer
Yeah, work on my own installer's pretty much on hold for a while - time contraints, real life getting in the way. I can piddle with icons and vectors in my free time, but coding in a real language sorta requires a nice big block of time. I might have a few creative ideas for wrapping batch scripts, environment variables, and a simple VB app up in a box, though :wacko: Edited by vertigosity

ever since i installed this program this has been happening to my computer whatsgoingon0hw.th.jpg

i tried the un hack program or whatever but it did nothing. please help me out here, its getting pretty annoying

ever since i installed this program this has been happening to my computer

i tried the un hack program or whatever but it did nothing. please help me out here, its getting pretty annoying

What's happening? You're getting notifications that the firewall has been disabled, and it won't turn on, or you're getting notifications and you have turned the firewall off intentionally? If it's the latter, simply turn the notifications off. If it's the former, I suspect the cause to be related to something else; I've seen this kind of behavior on machines that've never even seen a reference to my shell patcher, and I don't have any good leads on the cause. The shell patcher does not modify the registry in any way, so if it is a result of the patcher, the original file restoration script should have reversed it, and if it failed to, then having Windows restore its files from the original copies (using the sfc /scannow command that I never can seem to shut up about) should fix it.

I'm not doing any GUI/native-coded stuff, and that's final. Working with VB6 to do ANYTHING makes me feel as if I'm smashing my forehead into a brick wall repeatedly, and VB6 is the only native-Windows language I am familiar with and have development tools for. I can do magic in Java, but that's really not appropriate as it isn't native code, and requires massive runtimes that not everyone has. It's pretty much an explicit requirement for this project of mine that any external dependency not included with the OS is assumed to be absent. I'm keeping the batch scripts, as I've said several times before less authoritatively, and if that bugs anybody, I'll just make more and scarier disclaimers for the problems they have. Yeah, I'm getting kinda Bant-y, but working with VB puts me in that sort of mood.

What's happening? You're getting notifications that the firewall has been disabled, and it won't turn on, or you're getting notifications and you have turned the firewall off intentionally? If it's the latter, simply turn the notifications off. If it's the former, I suspect the cause to be related to something else; I've seen this kind of behavior on machines that've never even seen a reference to my shell patcher, and I don't have any good leads on the cause. The shell patcher does not modify the registry in any way, so if it is a result of the patcher, the original file restoration script should have reversed it, and if it failed to, then having Windows restore its files from the original copies (using the sfc /scannow command that I never can seem to shut up about) should fix it.

no look at the text, its all some kind of gibberish (or another language :D ) i dont know what to make of it. the file restoration script does nothing. when i run it there are still some icons chnged, and the wierd text is still there. the other day i system restored and it was gone but had to un restore for some reason. i tried doing that again today but it didnt work, what is this sfc /scannow command? im sorry if im being a bit of trouble. i love the look of the icons and everything but im just frustrated with this unwanted effect its having on my computer.

thanks for the help so far

no look at the text, its all some kind of gibberish (or another language :D ) i dont know what to make of it. the file restoration script does nothing. when i run it there are still some icons chnged, and the wierd text is still there. the other day i system restored and it was gone but had to un restore for some reason. i tried doing that again today but it didnt work, what is this sfc /scannow command? im sorry if im being a bit of trouble. i love the look of the icons and everything but im just frustrated with this unwanted effect its having on my computer.

thanks for the help so far

Wow... yeah, I noticed that, but assumed it was actually the correct language. It looks like it could be Polish, or maybe one of the Cyrillic languages (ie, Russian), except mis-printed in the Latin character set. I have to say, this is the first time I've seen... anything like this ... AT ALL! New bug, I'm impressed.

Give sfc /scannow a shot - if you feed your machine a proper Windows CD, and run "sfc /scannow" from say, the run dialog, it'll recopy the original Windows files. It's incredibly useful for situations when you need to recover the original set of system files when they've been mangled for one reason or another, such as, if say, some idiot's shell patcher didn't uninstall properly :whistle: but don't want/don't need/can't use the full-system treatment of System Restore. One caveat: It does restore to the version of the file from the CD, so you'd need to redownload any interim hotfixes.

I'm not doing any GUI/native-coded stuff, and that's final. Working with VB6 to do ANYTHING makes me feel as if I'm smashing my forehead into a brick wall repeatedly, and VB6 is the only native-Windows language I am familiar with and have development tools for. I can do magic in Java, but that's really not appropriate as it isn't native code, and requires massive runtimes that not everyone has. It's pretty much an explicit requirement for this project of mine that any external dependency not included with the OS is assumed to be absent. I'm keeping the batch scripts, as I've said several times before less authoritatively, and if that bugs anybody, I'll just make more and scarier disclaimers for the problems they have. Yeah, I'm getting kinda Bant-y, but working with VB puts me in that sort of mood.

What about some kind of 'reload' script to apply after Windows updates? Is it possible to identify the files which have changed since the original patch was done?

I really liked this when I was using XPize.

Go to the run box and type:

sfc /scannow

And let it go. If that's happening because of modified system files, this utility will find it and replace it. It may ask for you XP disk.

Also, what VS are you using?

What about some kind of 'reload' script to apply after Windows updates? Is it possible to identify the files which have changed since the original patch was done?

I really liked this when I was using XPize.

That was almost all of the point behind porting the patcher to a full programming language - It'd need to be able to compare modified file dates. If I had a small tool that read a the file modification date and dropped it into an environment variable in a format with no sorting required (YYYYMMDDHHMMSS), it'd almost be trivial to implement in my perverse language of choice (NT batch scripts), but I haven't found such a tool, and haven't tried to learn enough C and get a C compiler set up to say it's something I could make.

If you don't want to make your own: post-108441-1150252844.png :alien:

Yeah, but don't forget the low-res icons in that. Attachment has it done right :shifty: As an aside, the mass-renaming I did a while back was done partly with the idea of maybe doing a "hi-res" fork later on, when I have SVGs for everything. I'm actually getting pretty close to being there, although I honestly think having all those high resolution icons in system files is just begging for trouble. Edited by vertigosity

That was almost all of the point behind porting the patcher to a full programming language - It'd need to be able to compare modified file dates. If I had a small tool that read a the file modification date and dropped it into an environment variable in a format with no sorting required (YYYYMMDDHHMMSS), it'd almost be trivial to implement in my perverse language of choice (NT batch scripts), but I haven't found such a tool, and haven't tried to learn enough C and get a C compiler set up to say it's something I could make.

I will see what I can do. That shouldn't be so hard to realize in C.

Just to make it clear:

A guiless (DOS) program which reads the file modification date and time of a given file, converts the date and time to "YYYYMMDDHHMMSS" and writes this value to an env variable called for example TANGOMODIFIED?