[Shell Patcher] Tango Icons for Windows

Is the beta skinning those buttons as part of its "really fine"? If it is and the previous versions didn't... SP1?

the beta doesnt skin those buttons, and the previous versions didnt.......sp1? SP2 with all the latests updates

I just read the website for the bootscreen palettes, and it seems pretty easy. It's just long tedious work.

Now how many versions of the kernel are there? (w/ SP1, SP2 updates?)

the beta doesnt skin those buttons, and the previous versions didnt.......sp1? SP2 with all the latests updates

Same thing for me.

Alrighty. I'd appreciate it if anybody who isn't having those skinned would post the directory names with "Common-Controls" in their name in their %windir%\WinSXS directory.
Its not working for me,

I have WinXP SP2 and already run it 3 times (Hack-o-matic) Reboot and the icons still the same...

Any idea why?

dekel

What does the contents of the "modified" subdirectory of the patcher look like?

The icon cache wouldn't affect the toolbars or display of any other bitmaps, so generally, that's a good first-check to see if it worked.

I just read the website for the bootscreen palettes, and it seems pretty easy. It's just long tedious work.

Now how many versions of the kernel are there? (w/ SP1, SP2 updates?)

Long, tedious work... which my philosophy would be to find a way to perform programmatically, with some sort of script, so that it's no longer work at all;))

I can't even begin to guess. I know SP0 and SP1 both had two versions each, one for single-processor systems and another for multiprocessor systems. SP2 has new versions of those two as well, times two for systems with Physical Address Extension enabled, and I'd assume "the GDR hotfix" (as I'm calling it) includes new versions of all four. I'm pretty sure the GDR kernel is used when that hotfix is installed on SP1, as well, as I've seen threads here from people wondering why their XPSP1 system is versioned "Service Pack 1: Build 2600 (xp.sp_xpsp2)" or something to that effect. That's at least twelve right there, not counting Server 2003. But that doesn't matter, I just have to search-and-replace the pallette strings, and run a reshack script - for any of them. I'm not including pre-hacked binaries - that's a lot of space in the archive, it'd limit the useful lifetime of a point release, and it'd probably get MS lawyers breathing down my neck.

Edited by vertigosity

my english is not so good anyway, this is what u want???
Precisely, thanks. It also tells me why that's not being replaced - that's not a location I've identified for that file. Beta 2 should patch it.
Psssssst... vertigosity!

http://vertigosity.benpbrown.com/beta

*runs away*

Guess I need to brush up on my Latin, to read the example text:rolleyes::

Here they are:

x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.0.0_x-ww_1382d70a

x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2180_x-ww_a84f1ff9

x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2649_x-ww_aac16c8b

Eek, I've found a nasty bug in Beta 1. Uh... it doesn't seem to back up the comctl32.dlls, so anybody who gave that a spin is stuck with Tangofied filepicker dialogs. I don't have a clue how that could have passed quality control. Erm... sorry, please don't murder me? I've pulled the download, and removed the links. If anybody wants the original files, PM me with your email address - drop 'em in the pack's backup directory, and the uninstaller will Do The Right Thing with them. I'll have a "Beta 2" build with proper comctl32ing, an obscure bug from XPize fixed, and with Firefox's location read from the registry sometime this weekend. Thanks for playing Russian Semi-Automatic Beta Roulette!

Gah. The beta could have blown up my computer and I still wouldn't care. The quality of this patcher is simply extraordinary. Take your time! :p

I just got done playing around with the custom made icons and changing them to 256 x 256 PNGs. I am such a PNG freak heh. Anyway, now I'm going to waste time and play around with skinning up Firefox and whatever else I can think of for my own personal use. Thanks for the icons, vertigosity! Simply amazing :D

Woot, now I can cut-and-paste. You have build 2649, as does Daeron... I wonder when that version was introduced.

Hmm. I thought about mentioning that my machines have different Windows updates installed. On the english one I used the latest Autopatcher from June (updated last weekend) and on my german version I used Windows Update (updated about 2 weeks ago). So it must have been in the past 2 weeks ;)

Since you found the problem I'm really, really looking forward to the next release :D

I just got done playing around with the custom made icons and changing them to 256 x 256 PNGs. I am such a PNG freak heh. Anyway, now I'm going to waste time and play around with skinning up Firefox and whatever else I can think of for my own personal use. Thanks for the icons, vertigosity! Simply amazing :D

r u gonna release them??? me want them :p

If someone makes me some resources to work with, I would be more than happy to try gettting a working notoskrnl for the Windows XP SP2 I am running on.

EDIT: I just tried to make a custom notskrnl and I'm trying it out now... I hope it works.

Edited by tehmemories

r u gonna release them??? me want them:pp

You mean the 256 x 256 PNGs? Am I allowed to release them? They are 100% not mine, heh. I guess if vertigosity is okay with it I could put them into a zip and upload them into dA or something. I can't take any credit for them and I only used Inkscape to export them. Not that hard...I think lol

You mean the 256 x 256 PNGs? Am I allowed to release them? They are 100% not mine, heh. I guess if vertigosity is okay with it I could put them into a zip and upload them into dA or something. I can't take any credit for them and I only used Inkscape to export them. Not that hard...I think lol

You don't need my permission - free and open source licenses :yes: - just make sure you get the right creator and license information in the package, I'm not the creator of 99% of the icons, just another packager.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/ for Tango/Tangerine stuff, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_P...e#License_terms

for Gnome-icon-theme stuff.